Question for "out of town" fans.....

There are constant threads about people leaving WNY, which is wht I ask this question. I truly wonder just how many seats are sold to people who do not reside in WNY.

I have attended a game for the last consecutive 11 years. This year, we are now torn between the jests and the Chiefs.

Imo, WNY is a great place. We have been treated well on each and every trip, and the many people I have met from TBD are nothing short of superb.

In any event, how many of the fans at any given game do you guys think are:

a) From out of town, including those who moved away?

b) Fans of opposing teams?

Thanks....just very curious for opinions. :rolleyes:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to a Bills game in my life. I have been to 2 preseason Patsies games and a few CFL games, but never to a Bills game. I am going to make it to a Bills game at some point during my life. Hopefully several. I should add that I became a fan during the Super Bowl years and never looked back.

i have had season tix in my name since 1990, when i graduated from UNC and went back to buffalo for grad school (pretty good timing, eh?). moved back down south in summer of '93 but kept tix -- my parents live in NJ now and my dad drives to every game. i've been to at least one home game every year since then with one exception. i've also been to a handful of road games (carolina, washington, atlanta, tennessee) during that timeframe.

i have no idea how to estimate the numbers you're asking for with respect to the composition of fans in the stadium. i just know there are a lot of bills' fans who don't live in buffalo and rochester.

i have had season tix in my name since 1990, when i graduated from UNC and went back to buffalo for grad school (pretty good timing, eh?).  moved back down south in summer of '93 but kept tix -- my parents live in NJ now and my dad drives to every game.  i've been to at least one home game every year since then with one exception.  i've also been to a handful of road games (carolina, washington, atlanta, tennessee) during that timeframe.

i have no idea how to estimate the numbers you're asking for with respect to the composition of fans in the stadium.  i just know there are a lot of bills' fans who don't live in buffalo and rochester.

348388[/snapback]

Thanks for the response. A poster (I forgot who) said that the Bills mean little to the overall economy of WNY. He sounded smart, but I am skeptical. I come each year with 3 other people. The trip costs a minimum of $600.00 per person.

I am thinking that between persons like my friends, you, your Dad and me, we spend quite a bit of cash, and make a difference to the local economy.

It is a unique situation imo.

I am thinking that between persons like my friends, you, your Dad and me, we spend quite a bit of cash, and make a difference to the local economy.

It is a unique situation imo.

348395[/snapback]

the impact on the local economy would be very difficult to estimate IMO. many of the costs associated with these trips are not "local" costs (i.e., plane fare). i stay with friends when i go so i'm not renting a hotel room, although my dad does -- now. in prior years he would drive from NJ to orchard park on sunday morning and drive home that night (thank god he doesn't do that any more).

I'm a native WNYer and my college friends are mostly from the Buffalo and Rochester areas, so we get together for one game a year - usually in September or October. It's always a treat...tailgating at the Ralph, watching the Bills, listening to WGR and 97 Rock, and venturing to The Anchor Bar on Saturday afternoon.

A nice weekend.

i drive 5-6 hrs each way 2x per season on average...a few times i have gone up and back on the same day. i honestly don't mind geting up at 4am to make a tailgate, but that drive home after the game is miserable under any circumstances...

i have on occasion gotten a room, but usually gas, food and parking is all i buy outside the stadium.

I think there are TONS of out of towners that come in for games, especially when we play Northeast teams. I live in Florida and usually come up on Friday afternoons, and the plane is always packed with football fans from both sides. I know that on average, we have 6-10 people at each game from out of town. For the opener this year, we have people in from Florida, Mass, DC, Michigan, and NYC. It would be a decent blow to the economy if the Bills left..at least in my view.

I would buy season tix if I lived within 2 hours drive. I would like to move closer soon or a later.

348425[/snapback]

Nice avatar. :ph34r:

Go Yanks :lol:

I'm comning up for the Carolina game from Florida. Family of four, lotza $$$$ :rolleyes:

i live in eastern ny 4 plus hr drive . make 5 - 8 games a year plus 1 pre season game . my son is at canisius college. and goes to the games that i don't . [ last yr I hope ]we go out on sat an come home on monday . spend 400 or 500 hundred on each trip . we do our part to help wny . :rolleyes:

Season tix since 1975. Moved away in 1989.

I try to make it up for one game a year, but it can be tough some years. It'll probably be easier for me to go to the San Diego game this year, but I'll still try to swing a trip to the Ralph.

Up until this year I had 4 seasons tix, now a friend has bought 2 right in front of mine so for any given game I might have 6. He usually takes the preseason games and brings his nieces etc ten goes to one early game before hunting season starts. I go to the opener and the Miami home game every year and at least 1 away game. My 4 seasons tix cost less than my ex used to spend on shoes every year , so it's all good.