WNY golfers - PGA/LPGA/Men’s Seniors Question?

LabattBlue

49 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Chautauqua Golf Club was built by Donald Ross who also built Oak Hill.

I think the lake course there is worthy of something as it is great quality and beautiful. I know they have college/amateur tournaments there.

Although recently a guy on the pro tour, Canadian, mid-level pro, can't remember his name, went there during Covid and shot something ridiculous like a 61. So maybe they would have to make it a little more difficult somehow

Mackenzie Hughes? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Probably not 

unless you’re a member there and we can play a foursome of golf 

and I’ll bring wings 

So would you say crag burn is the best players course in Buffalo 

I don't know. I think I need to create a bigger sample size. 🙂 

13 hours ago, todd said:

Oh, Oak Hill is special for sure. It is just that Rochester has so damn many great private golf courses that the competition is fierce. I hear CCR is even more expensive than Oak Hill to join. Back in the day, each course had a specific clientele. Oak was for WASPs. CCR was for Catholics. Irondequoit (god i love that course) was for Jewish folks. Things, unfortunately, were pretty segregated in the early 1900s when they were all built. 

it's shocking how many good golf courses there are around here considering the short season.  even the public courses get high praise.  i'm not a golfer, but i know a number of people who love the webster and penfield courses.  victor hills serves a purpose.  if i'm not mistaken, ridgemont was redone.  there's never a shortage of places to play.  i've been to a lot of the private clubs not to golf, but for functions.  they all do a great job.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, teef said:

i personally don't know of any.  oak hill is its own situation.  i thought i heard that it's the only course to hold every major, (except the ones at the same course every year).  

Oak Hill has hosted the PGA Championship and the US Open. It has also hosted a Ryder Cup. Oak Hill is also notable as the site of one of Charles Coe's US Amateur titles.

For obvious reasons it has never hosted The British Open.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.