April 19th in Oklahoma City - 28 years ago

It seems that people talk less and less about, what was at the time, the worst terror attack in American history. 

I was a sophomore at Oklahoma State and people there felt the ground shake from the blast that took place 65 miles away. I went to OKC the next day to visit my girlfriend, who was going to school at OU at the time. Seeing the Murrah Building cut in half, hard to explain what that was like. 

One of my fraternity brothers lost this dad that day, secret service agent Mickey Maroney.

okcbombing.thumb.jpg.922c44a4b0b18b65b5d546f96e6b9791.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Worked in a lab at Stanford at that time  and we had a med student fro OK City in the lab whose sister worked across the street from the Murrah building. He told us she didn't  get seriously cut or injured because her high backed office chair had its back both window. he did say she and the chair was pushed onto the desk or conference table though.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Worked in a lab at Stanford at that time  and we had a med student fro OK City in the lab whose sister worked across the street from the Murrah building. He told us she didn't  get seriously cut or injured because her high backed office chair had its back both window. he did say she and the chair was pushed onto the desk or conference table though.

Talk about luck. 

So many buildings around the Murrah building got seriously damaged or destroyed. The memorial is a humbling place and a must-visit if anyone is in Oklahoma City. The fact so many LITTLE LITTLE children were killed... it's just hard to explain what it's like to see their little chairs on the lawn. 

https://www.news9.com/oklahoma-city-bombing-victims

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good friend of mine's dad was his high school principal. Came home one day to his answering machine full of messages from news people trying to find anyone who knew him.  He said normally he remembered all his students and something about them but he genuinely could not remember Mcveigh. 

There always has been evidence that there was another suspect that helped him but they kept his identity a secret. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Good friend of mine's dad was his high school principal. Came home one day to his answering machine full of messages from news people trying to find anyone who knew him.  He said normally he remembered all his students and something about them but he genuinely could not remember Mcveigh. 

There always has been evidence that there was another suspect that helped him but they kept his identity a secret. 

like other huge events, lots of conspiracies surround it. 

but now we have the DHS to ensure it wont happen again.

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Yea, they still talk about the "other man" who was seen leaving the truck. 

That's crazy he had McVeigh as a student. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was "studying" at SUNY Oswego after active duty.

A few years later I joined a NYS Guard unit in the Falls, and I was told McVeigh had briefly been in my unit, although I can't find any documentation that ever notes him being a guardsman after he was done with active duty.

Crazy to think it was that long ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, yall said:

I was "studying" at SUNY Oswego after active duty.

A few years later I joined a NYS Guard unit in the Falls, and I was told McVeigh had briefly been in my unit, although I can't find any documentation that ever notes him being a guardsman after he was done with active duty.

Crazy to think it was that long ago.

Wow. Our degrees of separation are so surprisingly small.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Yea, they still talk about the "other man" who was seen leaving the truck. 

That's crazy he had McVeigh as a student. 

McVeigh  did go to Starpoint

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Wacka said:

McVeigh  did go to Starpoint

I had no idea he was from that part of NYS. Not sure how I missed that aspect of the guy. My roommate went to Pryor (OK) to see him come out of county lockup to be transported to Oklahoma City. He was pulled over for not having a tag on his car by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.