New stadium cost goes up from $1.4 billion to $1.54 billion.

cba fan

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They are getting value for their dollar by bringing more business to their downtown. We are bringing more business to...middle of nowhere town of Orchard Park. Those mud parking lots and dive bars will really prosper, hurray!

Can't argue with that. The events beyond football they can hold in that stadium will pay that investment off. Because it's Nashville, a real destination, and not just a parking lot in a rumdum suburb.

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Sharks were just an expansion franchise.

They were not. Read their history. For one thing, there was never an "expansion derby" for that team, with cities vying for it. It was just announced one day that San Jose was getting a team because it was being "un-merged" from the Minnesota North Stars by owner George Gund 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Back to the topic somewhat…if you’ve ever flown into Oakland for a Raiders game (it’s ugly) you’ll know that the stadium and arena are very close to the airport and sit in the same parking lot, right next to the freeway. If memory serves, they finally extended the light rail line (BART) over to the airport so you didn’t have to hop on a bus to get to the stadium from your flight. With the Athletics, Raiders and Warriors all now gone, I’ve gotta believe some are saying ‘what the heck’ was that rail line for? The money would’ve been better spent improving the sports venues and keeping the teams. Sheeesh.

I suppose they could redevelop that stadium site. There's value in being on a rail line that gets you to SF easy.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Back to the topic somewhat…if you’ve ever flown into Oakland for a Raiders game (it’s ugly) you’ll know that the stadium and arena are very close to the airport and sit in the same parking lot, right next to the freeway. If memory serves, they finally extended the light rail line (BART) over to the airport so you didn’t have to hop on a bus to get to the stadium from your flight. With the Athletics, Raiders and Warriors all now gone, I’ve gotta believe some are saying ‘what the heck’ was that rail line for? The money would’ve been better spent improving the sports venues and keeping the teams. Sheeesh.

Possibly the dumpiest stadium I’ve ever been in. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I suppose they could redevelop that stadium site. There's value in being on a rail line that gets you to SF easy.

They're going to have to redevelop it. It's a large, prominent complex that will be pretty much sitting empty now. You could always get to SF on the BART before, but it was a bit more cumbersome before the rail extension. I think we used to take a shuttle to the Station. 

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can't argue with that. The events beyond football they can hold in that stadium will pay that investment off. Because it's Nashville, a real destination, and not just a parking lot in a rumdum suburb.

They were not. Read their history. For one thing, there was never an "expansion derby" for that team, with cities vying for it. It was just announced one day that San Jose was getting a team because it was being "un-merged" from the Minnesota North Stars by owner George Gund 

I didnt know that.  I consider myself extremely knowledgeable on franchise history/relocation.  I guess I am going to have some great learning coming up.  

To be fair, I don't remember any derby going on previous to the more recent additions.  I was 13-14 in 1992 though

So they got to draft a bunch of North Stars, and in turn, the North Stars were allowed to participate in the expansion draft.  They moved to Dallas a year later.  Crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.