Guitar players, what kind of ax do you play?

Doc

well I don't play guitar but my son owns several guitars and I have learned a lot from him He has both electric guitars and electric basses.

He has a japanese very high quality Gibson les paul knock off brand called Tokei. Vintage and excellent quality guitar

He also has a vintage blonde Gibson ES- 135 blonde hollowbody. He never liked touring with it because of its value

his standard touring basses were Gibson Ripper basses. His first was a blonde which was destroyed in Cults practice space during hurricane Sandy. I was bummed. We had purchased that bass for his Christmas present then  the following spring he played it at the Coachella music festival. Heavy sentimental value.

After it was destroyed he purchased a black Ripper . Which is the bass Gene Simmons played in KISS

tokie.jpg

es135.jpg

ripper.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Great stuff so far guys.  Keep it coming!

Have you actually gone to a store and picked one up yet to see how it feels?

I know you gave some general genre's, but is their a specific sound or sounds you are looking for? Ex: Adrian smith and maiden, priest, acdc, gojira, clutch, black label, slipknot?

Made in Japan is USA level quality and other countries tend to be hit or miss.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:50 AM, Doc said:

Yeah the floating trems can be tricky.  I installed one (meaning I routed-out the body myself) on the second guitar I built and am amazed I got it right.  But I plan on having the guitar I buy professionally set up.  

And I was looking at a Schecter C-1 FR-S SIlver Mountain.

The two 6-string Schecters he has are a Hellraiser Hybrid C-1 and a Hellraiser C-1.  To my ears, the Hellraiser C-1 (black cherry .. gorgeous), is the smoothest sounding guitar he has.  I can always tell when he's playing that guitar.

As far as Schecters, he's also got an Omen-7 and an Omen-8.  He went with the "lesser" models, since he's likely to play them a lot less.  But they are still great guitars, as far as staying in tune, etc.  

With their higher end models, you get neck-through bodies, EMGs (on some) and better hardware.  My son actually likes the Schecter pickups just as much as the EMGs.

He's also a lefty, so it's tough to find exactly what he's looking for in the form of used guitars.  Although, the 8-string he bought was, indeed, used; but you'd never know it.

Anyway, I think you'll be very happy if you go with the Schecter.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Have you actually gone to a store and picked one up yet to see how it feels?

I know you gave some general genre's, but is their a specific sound or sounds you are looking for? Ex: Adrian smith and maiden, priest, acdc, gojira, clutch, black label, slipknot?

Made in Japan is USA level quality and other countries tend to be hit or miss.

Haven't had the chance yet.  Hopefully this weekend.  And no particular sound but I'll know it when I hear it.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Name a guitar brand and model and you’ll find it tuned and ready to play in my home studio. Many acoustics, but nowhere the amount I have electric.

I’ve posted pics in prior threads

throw us a bone and post a pic por favor! Now I'm curious.

🙂

On 3/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, Doc said:

I've been playing guitars I've built for the past 35 years and have decided to get a professional/ly built one.  I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. 

Oh yeah, I'm into rock/hard rock/metal.  And I want a guitar with a Floyd Rose so that mostly eliminates the classics like a Fender or Gibson.

I think I'm up to about 20 or so right now, 8 of which are Charvels.

In my opinion you really can't go wrong, especially with some of the late 80s/early 90s made in Japan models. I have a few of the newer ones, post-Fender acquisition and they are great players as well.

If you can still find one, the new 2022 Henrik Danhage model is incredible (especially if you like the relic'd look). 

If I remember when I get home I'll post a pic of my custom Buffalo Bills Charvel 475...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.