here's the henry deal the bills need to make

eball

tennessee wants henry. the owner has said so. they previously offered a 5th -- and that was BEFORE chris brown was hurt again. i believe that the bills can pull off a deal for the titans' 4th rounder, with a conversion clause that if henry reaches some specific performance milestone -- let's say 1000 yds rushing -- the pick becomes a #3.

the titans are still going to be pretty bad this year -- probably one of the bottom 4 or 5 teams when all is said and done. even a #4 will probably be close to a top 100 pick. their #3 will likely be in the mid- to high-60s.

git 'er done, TD!

(and no, i didn't come up with this nugget of brilliance all on my own -- i overhead pat kirwan on sirius on my way back to the office talking about the situation)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there arnt that many players worth a damn left on the titans to trade for.

but i would be ok with the 4th rounder that can become a 3rd rounder at 800 yards. 800 yards would mean he was the starter for most of the season.

i would also like it if the 3rd rounder can get up to a 2nd rounder if he gets 1250 yards. which would mean he was the starter for the whole season, and ran well.

:blink:

I don't disagree, but you have to remember that Bud Adams is a nut case!  Thank God he didn't own the BILLS, or they would have left WNY years ago.  If Bud is so high on Travis, let him make a deal, but absent that, he can't be trusted. :blink:

345522[/snapback]

I wouldn't blame Adams entirely for the Olilers leaving Houston. Nobody down here gava a crap about the team, until they were gone...Houston is very much a front-running sports town, and being a very large city, there is lots of competition for your entertainment dollar. It is true that Adams was/is not the shrewdest of businessmen sometimes, but the city/fans of the Oilers can bare some of the brunt for that team leaving the city. I still remember the day that had the "save the Oilers" gathering in downtown Houston. All Oilers fans were urged to meet in front of city hall to show how much the Oilers meant to the city. The radio harped on the event for a good week ahead of time, urging die-hard fans to show their colors. I am not even exaggerating, less than 20 people showed up. Who knows if it would have ultimately done any good, but the NFL gave Houston the Texans, after the city agreed to give the Texans franchise everything (and more) that Adams was asking for his team. You can bet, if the Houston Texans don't start to make some significant progress on the field, the next season or two, their attendance will start to dwindle significantly. Did I mention, Houston is a pretty lousy sports town?

tennessee wants henry.  the owner has said so.  they previously offered a 5th -- and that was BEFORE chris brown was hurt again.  i believe that the bills can pull off a deal for the titans' 4th rounder, with a conversion clause that if henry reaches some specific performance milestone -- let's say 1000 yds rushing -- the pick becomes a #3.

the titans are still going to be pretty bad this year -- probably one of the bottom 4 or 5 teams when all is said and done.  even a #4 will probably be close to a top 100 pick.  their #3 will likely be in the mid- to high-60s.

git 'er done, TD!

(and no, i didn't come up with this nugget of brilliance all on my own -- i overhead pat kirwan on sirius on my way back to the office talking about the situation)

345503[/snapback]

I heard that same interview EBall. Interesting part of it was that Kirwan speculated that in Norm Chow's offense that Henry would get 70% to Brown's 30%. All the more reason to make this a conditional pick. I think a high 4th, which could turn into a high 3rd, should do the trick. I find it hard to fathom, that given their situation, we could ever get their high 2nd - but it's worth a shot!

questions....do the titans have anyone that we could trade henry for?..are the bills only interested in a draft pick next year?..just wondering

345550[/snapback]

player for player trades in the NFL are so rare...i think any team prefers to "hand pick" the player via the draft.

that said, i'm not aware of any titans that would fill an area of need for the bills and have the same or similar value as henry.

That is likely the kind of deal that the Titans or any team will make. When the Bills were trying to trade Travis during the draft, there was not a lot of room for a conditional trade because the pick would be taken then. If the Titans were to make a trade now and Henry would get 1300 yards for them, they would be happy to give the Bills a #2 pick. I'm not saying he will get that many, he won't come close if Chris Brown is healthy. But the conditional makes sense.

You ask a great question. One area the Titans have depth is on the defensive line and the Bills could really use another defensive tackle:

How about this guy:

Randy Starks

Position: DT

Height: 6-3

Weight: 307

Born: 12/14/1983

College: Maryland

NFL Experience: 2

Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 | Situational Stats | Team Roster

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2004 Tennessee Titans 14 28 17.0 11 4.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

TOTAL 14 28 17.0 11 4.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

FUMBLES

Year Team G Fum Lost Fum Forced Own Rec Opp Rec Yards Tot Rec TD

2004 Tennessee Titans 14 0 0 1 0 2 0 2 0

TOTAL 14 0 0 1 0 2 0 2 0

or

Rien Long

Height: 6-6

Weight: 300

Born: 08/07/1981

College: Washington State

NFL Experience: 3

DEFENSIVE STATS

2003 Tennessee Titans 8 3 2.0 1 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2004 Tennessee Titans 15 26 21.0 5 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

TOTAL 23 29 23.0 6 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

or if the Bills want to trade TH & one of their picks in 2006, try this guy:

Albert Haynesworth

Height: 6-6

Weight: 320

Born: 06/17/1981

College: Tennessee

NFL Experience: 4

DEFENSIVE STATS

2002 Tennessee Titans 16 30 21.0 9 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 3

2003 Tennessee Titans 12 32 21.0 11 2.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 4

2004 Tennessee Titans 10 36 25.0 11 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

TOTAL 38 98 67.0 31 4.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 9

FUMBLES

Year Team G Fum Lost Fum Forced Own Rec Opp Rec Yards Tot Rec TD

2002 Tennessee Titans 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2003 Tennessee Titans 12 0 0 0 0 2 12 2 0

2004 Tennessee Titans 10 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 38 0 0 2 0 2 12 2 0

questions....do the titans have anyone that we could trade henry for?..are the bills only interested in a draft pick next year?..just wondering

345550[/snapback]

It should be a 3rd that conditionally becomes a 1st depending on performance.  Anything less and I say wait for a few more months because more RB's will fall.

345747[/snapback]

Should it? Can you then explain why he was virtually worthless on draft day?

345751[/snapback]

he wasnt worthless. but the teams who needed a RB could find a younger and cheaper player in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.

345751[/snapback]

i'm with ya here, bill. if TD can get a 4th/conditional 3rd that will be a fair deal.

he wasnt worthless. but the teams who needed a RB could find a younger and cheaper player in the 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft.

345755[/snapback]

Semantics my friend. He had TD and his agent trying to sell him and we couldn't even get a decent pick in a weak draft.

Can you then explain why he was virtually worthless on draft day?

345751[/snapback]

Current draft choices are a lot more valuable than future ones to most GM's.

They've got to think in the present, right now, "what have you done for me lately?" No team was desperate enough to give TD a 2005 pick on draft day, hence the lack of action on Henry, Edge and Alexander.

TD's draft picks the last few years have actually been well off the norm, in that he gave up immediate gratification for future potential (WM and JP being the two prime examples). Most GM's don't have that level of job security, IMO.

When a player who can help their team is available, it's much easier for most GM's to deal a future draft choice and worry about the consequences down the road.

I still think there's a lot more time to deal Henry for a 2006 pick.

As has been said, many teams went on potential. But now that they've seen their rookies, or now that previously healthy RB's on teams uninterested in a RB in the draft of FA have gotten injured, the price of a starting RB has gone up. Again take a look at what Lamar Gordon cost the Dolphins.