Draft Capital, Cap Space, Restructure Capital - Bills have challenges.

Chaos

12 hours ago, MPL said:

Can March 16th just hurry up and get here? I need resolution! Also, my son is due to be born on March 16th... so, there's that, too. 

Congrats!!! That's great news. Best wishes for health and happiness for all.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I sat through a podcast a couple of weeks ago, where they easily cleared up 51 million in Space to spend and that was without restructuring every contract

I don’t expect Brandon Beane to make all of those moves but he’s gonna make some of them and we’re not going to be players on the first day of free agency probably but he’ll find the players he always does

They did clear up that space. Listening since then, they don't actually think the Bills will clear up that much.

Agreed, he'll make some of them, and he'll be right in there trying to find bargains among mid- to low-priced FAs. He's been good at it, not perfect, of course, but definitely good.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Can March 16th just hurry up and get here? I need resolution! Also, my son is due to be born on March 16th... so, there's that, too. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Congrats!!! That's great news. Best wishes for health and happiness for all.

Thanks! Just to be clear... we're talking about the health and happiness of the Bills, right? 

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

Different ways to look at it.  One perfectly reasonable way is to say, the Bllls are positioned to improve more than 7 teams.  24 Teams are positioned to improve more than the Bills. 

But the big issue (not new news) is the Chiefs and Bengals are better positioned to improve than the Bills.  And their GM's have been almost as wizardy as Beane the last couple of seasons. 

Chiefs are not so much the worry, they have some tough cap decisions looming themselves and we have fared well mostly the last 2 years against them.  But Bengals are more of a concern IMHO.  One, we have played KC much more competitively the past 3 games against them, winning 2 and narrowly losing 1.  When we first faced the Bengals, they were causing problems for our defense the whole game until the unfortunate incident with Hamlin.  Then they came into Buffalo and controlled the whole game on both sides of the ball.  

Cincy has the cap space to improve their weakest spot, OL, and also add another pass rusher.  Bills are no slouch, and honestly with Frazier gone, I have more optimism our defense could show up better when we play Cincy this year.  But, it really is going to be an important offseason for Beane because we are going to need to make the right FA decisions (given we don't have a lot of money to spend, and likely creating 2 more holes at safety and LB) and then get some good contributions out of our draft class to adequately shore up our major holes.  

If Jets get Rodgers, our division is going to get much harder too, and then there is that rumor Brady could come back and to Miami.  If one or both of those things happen, the road to the top seed for us will increase in difficulty (and even our own division title) and it will likely make beating both KC and Cincy this year in the regular season critical for any shot at high or top seed.  

Sky isn't falling, we still have a legit team.  But there are teams ahead of us and right behind us in a year we are tight on the cap, set to lose multiple starters, and have 2 key players on D coming off ACL issues.  So Beane has his work cut out for him this year, and its going to be probably his most important one yet since he drafted the right Allen.  

Wait until all the contract restructure stuff happens. Lots of things will change:

• If they pull the contract levers for Allen and Miller, either cut or restructure Hines and then restructure 1 or 2 big contracts (Dawkins and/or Milano) they will be around $30 million under the cap. Do a couple other things (release McKenzie, extend Daquan Jones) and maybe it's more like $35 million.
  • Like the Miller contract from a year ago, they can sign a couple guys to pretty big money and still only count around $7-8 million on the cap.
  • The bottom 10 players on the cap now average about $850k so a signing at a cap hit of $7 million is really adding a little more than $6 million to the cap.

I think they will re-sign Edmunds but his '23 cap will be around $7-8 million. They could opt for a couple more with cap hits in the $7-9 million range and then fill with $1-3 million/year players.

Bottom line: the cap situation isn't that bad, it is just something that every GM has to deal with each year. 

13 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Wait until all the contract restructure stuff happens. Lots of things will change:

• If they pull the contract levers for Allen and Miller, either cut or restructure Hines and then restructure 1 or 2 big contracts (Dawkins and/or Milano) they will be around $30 million under the cap. Do a couple other things (release McKenzie, extend Daquan Jones) and maybe it's more like $35 million.
  • Like the Miller contract from a year ago, they can sign a couple guys to pretty big money and still only count around $7-8 million on the cap.
  • The bottom 10 players on the cap now average about $850k so a signing at a cap hit of $7 million is really adding a little more than $6 million to the cap.

I think they will re-sign Edmunds but his '23 cap will be around $7-8 million. They could opt for a couple more with cap hits in the $7-9 million range and then fill with $1-3 million/year players.

Bottom line: the cap situation isn't that bad, it is just something that every GM has to deal with each year. 

All of what you said can be done.  I just don't think it will happen.  An Edmunds signing would shock me.

The biggest question I have is about fully restructuring Von.  Beane already took the small hit on his 1st year (like you mentioned).

Pushing a bunch of guaranteed cap into the future on Miller will add another "realistic" year to his contract.  It's a gamble with his age and ACL.

Beane might go for a few million in restructure, but I would be shocked if he took all of it out.

I'm often wrong, but I just don't see a big FA signing year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.