Draft Capital, Cap Space, Restructure Capital - Bills have challenges.

Chaos

What? The worst teams have the most money say it ain’t so. I know it’s a broad stroke of the brush but the Bills can make the necessary moves to be competitive in Free Agency and a trade down or 2 during the draft gives us the capital we need 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

What? The worst teams have the most money say it ain’t so. I know it’s a broad stroke of the brush but the Bills can make the necessary moves to be competitive in Free Agency and a trade down or 2 during the draft gives us the capital we need 

Different ways to look at it.  One perfectly reasonable way is to say, the Bllls are positioned to improve more than 7 teams.  24 Teams are positioned to improve more than the Bills. 

But the big issue (not new news) is the Chiefs and Bengals are better positioned to improve than the Bills.  And their GM's have been almost as wizardy as Beane the last couple of seasons. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

How do the Dolphins have such similar draft capital to us when they have no first round pick and five total picks?

It shows them as having significantly worse draft capital (the green line). 

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills will be just fine. They just need to prioritize their approach a little more with Allen's contract.

There are a lot of restructuring opportunities if the Bills want to be a little bit more aggressive in Free Agency.

Personally, I would like to see the Bills go all-in over the next two years. They may have multiple windows with Allen, but the last few years the window has never been this open in the last 25-30 years.

Let Edmunds and Poyer go. Only resign Sam Martin and Dane Jackson to modest short-term deals.Restructure players. Players that only play special teams besides Bass, Ferguson, and Martin can be replaced.

Personally, I want a solid guard or RT in free agency. Trade for Mike Evans.  Use the draft picks and any money on restructured deals to fill in the backup QB, linebacker, and safety spots. First three rounds on OL/WR/Safety.

No long-term contracts the next two seasons for anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm surprised at how many of the bottom teams (financially) don't even have a real franchise QB. Terrible cap management/team building.

I think the dolphins blew their wad, last off-season, and expected a big year. They're in a tough spot moving forward.

12 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I'm surprised at how many of the bottom teams (financially) don't even have a real franchise QB. Terrible cap management/team building.

I think the dolphins blew their wad, last off-season, and expected a big year. They're in a tough spot moving forward.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Haha (+1) 1

I sat through a podcast a couple of weeks ago, where they easily cleared up 51 million in Space to spend and that was without restructuring every contract

I don’t expect Brandon Beane to make all of those moves but he’s gonna make some of them and we’re not going to be players on the first day of free agency probably but he’ll find the players he always does

It will be interesting to see the moves made prior to and on March 15th to get under the salary cap.  I would expect we will be hearing soon about salary restructures, salary reductions, cuts, restricted free agent tenders and possibly extensions.  

I think three of the potential restructures raise potential issues.  Will DIggs be willing to restructure (assuming it makes it harder to trade him)?  Do you restructure Miller and White (both coming off of ACL injuries)?  The only easy restructure is Allen.

Hard to guess which current players, if any, will be asked to take pay cuts.  I expect the Bills to cut McKenzie, but I am not sure of any others.  Guessing maybe Hines, Settle and Neal, unless those contracts are restructured.

I hope we tender Jackson.  A second round tender would be $4.3 million.

18 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

It will be interesting to see the moves made prior to and on March 15th to get under the salary cap.  I would expect we will be hearing soon about salary restructures, salary reductions, cuts, restricted free agent tenders and possibly extensions.  

I think three of the potential restructures raise potential issues.  Will DIggs be willing to restructure (assuming it makes it harder to trade him)?  Do you restructure Miller and White (both coming off of ACL injuries)?  The only easy restructure is Allen.

Hard to guess which current players, if any, will be asked to take pay cuts.  I expect the Bills to cut McKenzie, but I am not sure of any others.  Guessing maybe Hines, Settle and Neal, unless those contracts are restructured.

I hope we tender Jackson.  A second round tender would be $4.3 million.

We only need to make one move to get underneath the salary cap and that’s restructuring Josh Allen

Having a free agency and draft will cost more

1 hour ago, 0017 said:

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

And no first round pick

McBeane really has their work cut out for them.  Other than Josh, Diggs, and Milano, there’s a lot of underperforming assets on the books. Gotta get more production out of the Oliver, Groot, Basham, and Epenesa quartet.  Brown’s gotta make a leap at Right Tackle.  Tre’s gotta regain his Pro Bowl form.  Will be great to get Hyde back.  Knox and Gabe need to be more consistent.  I think Cook is ready for a more featured role.  

Need starters at LB, Safety, and Guard.  Need some more juice on the D-Line until Miller is back.  And need some more juice in the passing game.  There’s a lot of safeties and LB’s in the free agency market.  Should be able to find adequate replacements for Poyer and Edmunds at reduced prices.  I’d love to add Smith Njigba in the 1st.  Think he’d be an immediate 80+ catch guy in this offense.  Then find an IOL in the 2nd round who’s starter-ready.  Go blocking Tight End in 3rd round.  Then finish it off with Damien Harris (cut Hynes if we need to make that happen), and a veteran pass rusher like Frank Clark, Brandon Graham, or Clowney.  

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Among the top 10, the Lions are the only ones that have a QB solution in place.  

And while I like Goff more than most that isn't a long term solution is it? He is a good enough for now solution. A solid starter. The other one in the top 10 is Arizona. I wonder how they really feel about Murray? He just came off his worst year as a pro in year 4, there was all the not studying stuff last offseason.... they are kinda tied in the next two years... it becomes more possible to move on after that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.