Is Rutgers the worst division 1 college football program ever?

Another Fan

I'll start of by writing I went too school there and didn't have the best experience.  So perhaps there's some sour grapes.  

The school initially actually won the first college football game ever against Princeton.  And I think they won the 1st national championship as well.  But since then it's been bad.  The school decided to compete in the Big East at some point where they were more often than not overmatched in the 20th century.  In 2001 there there was a big push to be competitive in the Big East. Greg Schiano got hired.  He struggled his first few years.  This article was written around the time I was starting there how Rutgers could never win

https://vault.si.com/vault/2003/08/25/why-cant-rutgers-ever-win-rutgers-is-the-biggest-school-in-new-jersey-a-state-swarming-with-good-young-players-yet-over-the-last-decade-the-scarlet-knights-are-32-83-1-the-coach-says-things-are-turning-around-many-others-on-cam

And after a few years Greg and Rutgers had some success.  2006 was a good year for the school.  The team finished in the top 10 in the country that year.  They still did not win the Big East that year though.  Actually they never won The Big East.  And they still have like a 17 game plus losing streak versus West Virginia.  There were a few bowl games after that but in insignificant ones.  

And now all of a sudden the big push to join the Big 10 were the team is the laughing stock of the league.  To make matters imo worse they are not even likeable and I dont want to root for them.    

This is why.  To join the Big 10 they are now $250 million dollars in debt.  

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/watchdog/2022/07/07/rutgers-athletics-spends-big-builds-debt-big-ten-conference/65367819007/

Also some other nice little scandals along the way with players running up Doordash fees 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11127653/Rutgers-football-players-ordered-450-000-DoorDash-deliveries-university-paid-for.html

So as I said I come at this with a bias of despising what the University is all about.  But I'm thinking most here are neutral when it comes to Rutgers so I'll throw out the question if they are the worst division 1 football program ever 

Edited by Another Fan

Except for the brief time they were good and looked like and up and coming program under Schiano I’ve always thought that they were a poor program. I don’t know that I could say that they were the worst - too much competition for that. Heck, they’d probably win the MAC. But other than those few seasons they’ve been bad for my whole life. I’m 54. 

Edited by BarleyNY

49 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Except for the brief time they were good and looked like and up and coming program under Schiano I’ve always thought that they were a poor program. I don’t know that I could say that they were the worst - too much competition for that. Heck, they’d probably win the MAC. But other than those few seasons they’ve been bad for my whole life. I’m 54. 

Even before that brief period they had some success there was a group I think called Rutgers 900 dedicated to trying to get Rutgers out of the Big East to focus more on academics.  Their point being their real competition lied with the likes of Princeton, Lafayette, Penn, etc....

I mean I am not an academic, will and can never be an academic, and think that professor in that article I posted lives exclusively in his ivory tower.  Yet from me a common humble man's perspective is it makes no sense what Rutgers top historically push their football program into something it isn't.

There's might be worse programs but I have a feeling they dont have the shady undertones to them 

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I'll start of by writing I went too school there and didn't have the best experience.  So perhaps there's some sour grapes.  

The school initially actually won the first college football game ever against Princeton.  And I think they won the 1st national championship as well.  But since then it's been bad.  The school decided to compete in the Big East at some point where they were more often than not overmatched in the 20th century.  In 2001 there there was a big push to be competitive in the Big East. Greg Schiano got hired.  He struggled his first few years.  This article was written around the time I was starting there how Rutgers could never win

https://vault.si.com/vault/2003/08/25/why-cant-rutgers-ever-win-rutgers-is-the-biggest-school-in-new-jersey-a-state-swarming-with-good-young-players-yet-over-the-last-decade-the-scarlet-knights-are-32-83-1-the-coach-says-things-are-turning-around-many-others-on-cam

And after a few years Greg and Rutgers had some success.  2006 was a good year for the school.  The team finished in the top 10 in the country that year.  They still did not win the Big East that year though.  Actually they never won The Big East.  And they still have like a 17 game plus losing streak versus West Virginia.  There were a few bowl games after that but in insignificant ones.  

And now all of a sudden the big push to join the Big 10 were the team is the laughing stock of the league.  To make matters imo worse they are not even likeable and I dont want to root for them.    

This is why.  To join the Big 10 they are now $250 million dollars in debt.  

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/watchdog/2022/07/07/rutgers-athletics-spends-big-builds-debt-big-ten-conference/65367819007/

Also some other nice little scandals along the way with players running up Doordash fees 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11127653/Rutgers-football-players-ordered-450-000-DoorDash-deliveries-university-paid-for.html

So as I said I come at this with a bias of despising what the University is all about.  But I'm thinking most here are neutral when it comes to Rutgers so I'll throw out the question if they are the worst division 1 football program ever 

They did win a co-national championship with Princeton.... back in like 1869... when they were the only two teams playing college football :)

On 3/2/2023 at 6:58 PM, BarleyNY said:

They would not win the MAC lol

hahahahahahha The last time they played UB… It was unanimous from the broadcast

Which team looks like the big 10 team… And who looked like a MAC team lol

Spoiler alert

Rutgers looked like the Mac team

On 3/2/2023 at 9:50 PM, BarleyNY said:

Well, that’s fair on the shady undertones. It’s not like UB or Kent State have that added taint. 

UB Bulls football is one of the better MAC football schools now and they beat Rutgers. UB football problems were they didn’t have the facilities they have or are building now for football. I don’t think Rutgers would dominate the MAC. Would Rutgers get more Bowl opportunities in the MAC then the loaded Big Ten Conference yes but not the money or the television prestige that they have now. Which hurts the Syracuse Orange same deal they give up the winning, bowl opportunities and winning in the MAC for the ACC television money. I can’t stand Syracuse newsflash Syracuse fans they aren’t a Western New York school the Big 4 or Little Three are Canisius, St Bonaventure, Niagara with the Big 4 UB added. With Syracuse it goes back to Little Three days Canisius, St Bonaventure and Niagara for me as a Buffalo fan.

But the reality Syracuse isn’t ever playing UB Bulls again in football unless they are forced to by a bowl game. Because the reality UB has passed Syracuse football with what UB has invested in football. When was the last time Syracuse won a bowl game? UB has won three bowls out of 4 years. Rutgers wouldn’t get the Big Ten recruits in the MAC. Nor would Syracuse get the ACC recruits in the MAC. So it’s apples and oranges but yes Rutgers, Syracuse belong in the MAC neither one of these schools are any better in football than UB is today. Syracuse can’t even dominate UB Bulls basketball much anymore that is why Jim Boeheim said he is never playing UB basketball again something about trash talking? Retire Jim Boeheim your too old to coach anymore. And Syracuse basketball have some pride and play St Bonaventure Bonnies at Reilly Center or Key Bank Center take your pick a bunch of chickens that is what Syracuse Orange basketball should be called Syracuse Chickens. Syracuse Orange football and basketball your not fooling BSF in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.