RIP: Tim McCarver, 81

Gugny

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I thought he was a good color guy; at one time I think he was regarded as the best in the business.

He did a lot of WS over the years.

Don't remember him as a player.

McCarver was a solid player for many years. Played in an era that catchers didn't hit much (except for Bench), but he was a pretty good hitter all the same.  I don't remember him being great (or bad for that matter) at throwing out runners but I'm pretty sure he was well respected as a catcher. Had a strong connection/history with HOFer Steve Carlton.

As an announcer I think he made his name with the Mets. First guy I can remember that was hyper analytical and not afraid to be critical. I learned a lot listening to him. He also p!ssed people off as a result. Had public disagreements with Mets manager Davey Johnson and more famously with Deion Sanders which culminated in an on air incident in a Braves post season locker room celebration.

And yeah, Bo Derek thought he'd make a great leading man in a movie. A life well led.

RIP.

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

McCarver was a solid player for many years. Played in an era that catchers didn't hit much (except for Bench), but he was a pretty good hitter all the same.  I don't remember him being great (or bad for that matter) at throwing out runners but I'm pretty sure he was well respected as a catcher. Had a strong connection/history with HOFer Steve Carlton.

As an announcer I think he made his name with the Mets. First guy I can remember that was hyper analytical and not afraid to be critical. I learned a lot listening to him. He also p!ssed people off as a result. Had public disagreements with Mets manager Davey Johnson and more famously with Deion Sanders which culminated in an on air incident in a Braves post season locker room celebration.

And yeah, Bo Derek thought he'd make a great leading man in a movie. A life well led.

RIP.

Add Valentine to the list of Mets managers he pissed off.  Valentine was the last manager he pissed off as a Mets announcer (McCarver was fired shortly after he called out Valentine for a pitching change during a game broadcast).

Personally, I think it's refreshing to hear team announcers call it like they see it and not ball-wash.  It's what made Eckersley great in that role ... and also one of the things I love about the current Mets announcers.

My only beef with McCarver is that he talked about himself a little too much.  But he was still great at what he did and I'm sure having Ralph Kiner next to him didn't make his life any easier.  A legitimate broadcasting legend.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

My only beef with McCarver is that he talked about himself a little too much.  But he was still great at what he did and I'm sure having Ralph Kiner next to him didn't make his life any easier.  A legitimate broadcasting legend.

My only beef was he had a tendency to beat a dead horse. In the 8th inning he'd still be harping on something from the 2nd inning. And it was worse when I didn't agree with what he was harping on. But overall he was outstanding, I'd probably rank him as the best baseball analyst I ever heard.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.