Coaching Staff & Other Thoughts On Falling Short in 2022

pocoboy

The writing was on the wall with this team. I feel like a common narrative the final 3/4 of this season could be summarized with "it's like they're playing with one arm tied behind their back, so they learn how to win the close games."

In reality, it appears the arm was named Brian Daboll, and it was amputated after the previous season. Like any body, it attempts to compensate for the loss, but as time went on it led to significant limitations in what the team could do.

I'm sure Ken Dorsey syncs well on a personal level to JA17, but feels only gets you so far. One thing is clear - the Allen that surgically picked apart the Rams in Week 1 was nowhere to be found in the latter half of the season. There are so many reasons that could be, but eventually those paths must lead to your Offensive Coordinator. He must be able to recognize the issues and correct them. And one has to think that's a Daboll specialty, as Allen's efficiency seemed to improve as the games closed in on January and February. 

Then the defense. Frazier seems to be out of ideas, but largely they play well. I'd like to think that they met expectations yesterday - granted they probably were spared a worse point allowance due to score effects. I would harp on the 13 seconds thing, and wonder if relieving Frazier is a year late.

But honestly, I think faulting the defense in this game is easy because of one play, that 3rd and 5. In a game like this, you're thinking "shootout." Of course you want to expect more, but in reality I'm thinking 35-31 or 41-38 if the Bills are winning this game. Burrow is good, Chase is good, and yes they are backup OL's. But you have to figure they're gonna find a way unless you rattle Burrow.

So in my mind, you have to seriously consider relieving Dorsey of his duties. That offense has grown more and more dysfunctional as Dorsey's game-planning and coaches has supplanted the last vestiges of Daboll's system. And you just can't waste any more of Allen's peak time. That means a) you need a coordinator/QB coach team that will challenge Allen to do the mental parts of his job better, and b) you need Beane to be adamant that they must spend resources protecting Allen and lining up more reliable weapons. Maybe Dorsey can still be a), but I'm skeptical. But gone need to be the days of burning early draft picks on inconsequential defensive linemen and cornerbacks that struggle to claim the starting job.

Last - the loyalty McDermott places with guys like McKenzie, Jackson, Davis, and maybe even Singletary - I'm sure it's good for morale, but if you're gonna rely heavily upon your belief of what a player _can_ be, in spite of future talent that shows longer-term promise but needs reps (Shakir, Elam, Cook, just to name a few), they had better perform. And I think you can argue that each of those 4 above failed to live up to expectation in 2022.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 1

• pocoboy changed the title to Coaching Staff & Other Thoughts On Falling Short in 2022

People wanted Daboll fired last season. Let’s not forget that narrative.

However, nobody should feel safe in this organization from Beane on down. However, they all will be back and we’ll be having these same discussions next season.

Frazier is married to his scheme.  Even when the blueprint (Tua, Burrow) dictates otherwise.  

Hes engrained in this defense with guys who have been here a long time.  

It’s why massive changes need to occur on defense.   And the defense will likely be much less talented next year .. but I wouldn’t be surprised if they perform better in big moments (should we move off Frazier and make personnel changes)

I think a lot of us are all saying a similar thing, when we know the problem is McDermott’s philosophy/culture may have reached its ceiling.   We can point to changes around the edges, but the problem is him and his philosophy.  

He’s a good coach.  Someone else would hire him in a second… but if they get to where we are, they’ll have the same problems.  

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Frazier is married to his scheme.  Even when the blueprint (Tua, Burrow) dictates otherwise.  

Hes engrained in this defense with guys who have been here a long time.  

It’s why massive changes need to occur on defense.   And the defense will likely be much less talented next year .. but I wouldn’t be surprised if they perform better in big moments (should we move off Frazier and make personnel changes)

I think a lot of us are all saying a similar thing, when we know the problem is McDermott’s philosophy/culture may have reached its ceiling.   We can point to changes around the edges, but the problem is him and his philosophy.  

He’s a good coach.  Someone else would hire him in a second… but if they get to where we are, they’ll have the same problems.  

What is his philosophy?

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

... McDermott’s philosophy/culture may have reached its ceiling.   We can point to changes around the edges, but the problem is him and his philosophy.  

He's Andy Reid, Jr. There's nothing wrong with Andy Reid, in fact as you say he's gonna get your team pulling in the same direction and largely keep the room motivated. Reid's defining moment was drafting Mahomes, that takes him from likely HOF Coach to absolute HOF Coach, especially if they get a 2nd ring this year.

I think there's a slim chance McDermott falls on the sword if pressed into making decisions about Frazier and/or Dorsey. I'm not sure that is a good path for the Buffalo Bills, though.

17 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

The writing was on the wall with this team. I feel like a common narrative the final 3/4 of this season could be summarized with "it's like they're playing with one arm tied behind their back, so they learn how to win the close games."

In reality, it appears the arm was named Brian Daboll, and it was amputated after the previous season. Like any body, it attempts to compensate for the loss, but as time went on it led to significant limitations in what the team could do.

I'm sure Ken Dorsey syncs well on a personal level to JA17, but feels only gets you so far. One thing is clear - the Allen that surgically picked apart the Rams in Week 1 was nowhere to be found in the latter half of the season. There are so many reasons that could be, but eventually those paths must lead to your Offensive Coordinator. He must be able to recognize the issues and correct them. And one has to think that's a Daboll specialty, as Allen's efficiency seemed to improve as the games closed in on January and February. 

Then the defense. Frazier seems to be out of ideas, but largely they play well. I'd like to think that they met expectations yesterday - granted they probably were spared a worse point allowance due to score effects. I would harp on the 13 seconds thing, and wonder if relieving Frazier is a year late.

But honestly, I think faulting the defense in this game is easy because of one play, that 3rd and 5. In a game like this, you're thinking "shootout." Of course you want to expect more, but in reality I'm thinking 35-31 or 41-38 if the Bills are winning this game. Burrow is good, Chase is good, and yes they are backup OL's. But you have to figure they're gonna find a way unless you rattle Burrow.

So in my mind, you have to seriously consider relieving Dorsey of his duties. That offense has grown more and more dysfunctional as Dorsey's game-planning and coaches has supplanted the last vestiges of Daboll's system. And you just can't waste any more of Allen's peak time. That means a) you need a coordinator/QB coach team that will challenge Allen to do the mental parts of his job better, and b) you need Beane to be adamant that they must spend resources protecting Allen and lining up more reliable weapons. Maybe Dorsey can still be a), but I'm skeptical. But gone need to be the days of burning early draft picks on inconsequential defensive linemen and cornerbacks that struggle to claim the starting job.

Last - the loyalty McDermott places with guys like McKenzie, Jackson, Davis, and maybe even Singletary - I'm sure it's good for morale, but if you're gonna rely heavily upon your belief of what a player _can_ be, in spite of future talent that shows longer-term promise but needs reps (Shakir, Elam, Cook, just to name a few), they had better perform. And I think you can argue that each of those 4 above failed to live up to expectation in 2022.

I’m in favor of both Dorsey and Frazier being replaced because of their performances in the playoffs. But here’s the important thing - the new DC needs to have much more autonomy. Frazier is running McDermott’s defense with McD’s personnel. Changing out the DC won’t matter if the new guy has to do the same thing.

I think you have to give Ken another year and have to desperately improve the O-line. As for the defense I am sorta done with Frazier. A great regular season coordinator but the defenses do not show up in the playoffs.

We also cant let Beane off the hook here. Its been 2-3 drafts in a row now without anyone game changing. Groot is invisible without Von on the other side, Elam is getting benched, Oliver is invisible, Epenesa stinks.

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Humble and Hungry

Bring in character guys

Draft team leaders from college programs 

A heavy defensive focus when it comes to investment 

The top 3 things are all the same thing imo.  

Investing heavily in the defensive usually backfires when you lose you 2 all pros and very good NT, while sticking with the same tired DC.  If healthy, I thought our d was good enough. I’ve never been a fan of Frazier

One thing we know for sure-  if our defense is terrible, we won’t win a Super Bowl. Beane has to find the middle ground of investing in both the O and D so both can become SB caliber working together.  That’s hard to do when we miss on so many 2nd and :rd rd picks.  We counted on AJ, Boogie, Spencer brown, Cody Ford, Moss, cool and Bernard to become integral pieces to the puzzle.  Instead, they were all bums (minus cook, who had zero targets again).  The draft isn’t a science, but the lack of production from those players has brought our talent level down. 

I don’t think Beane should get the axe. If he did, id be upset, but the draft pick failures have directly hurt our team

I don’t think mcdermott should get the axe….. but if they went after Sean Payton, I can understand why. I think he’s a bit overrated myself, but watching Josh’s season unfold, he needs more help than just on the OL and WRs.  His QB mind has to be put back on track. It’s off the rails right now.  If we fire McD and don’t hire Payton.,,, who should we hire? 

I’d be happy if Frazier were fired. I never liked his scheme or lack of aggressiveness. He’s a class act and I’m not sure if McD will move on from him….which could lead to McDs dismissal.  Give me Fangio.

I’d be very happy if Dorsey were fired. The term “No identity” has been used ad nauseam this year., for good reason.  Dorsey himself has no identity.  He was a rookie play caller leading the Super Bowl and MVP favorites.  He let both down in a big way.  Josh bailed him out the last couple months but it was too much to overcome yesterday.. Give me Frank Reich.

McDermott

Reich

Fangio

i won’t hold my breath. 

Edited by NewEra

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.