McBeane's investment in the D Line last five seasons

Process

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I think the problems start with McD.  While McD being let go anytime soon is probably highly unlikely in my opinion, I just don't think he's a guy that will ever reach the promise land.  If he had a problem with how Frazier was running the D today, then he should've stepped in.  The fact he didn't tells me he was OK with the schemes that had our DB's playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 4.  

You are likely right, but a change is needed.  Some young DC who does analysis to be an avatar for our hc (like dude in KC for Reid) can work.  I just need a change.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dan said:

3rd and 4.. the entire D on the line.  Immediate pressure on Burrow!!   But tre was 10yards off the LOS ...easy toss and 5 yard gain to chase.  At that moment.. i knew we were losing.   They ..do not.. know how to play physical defense. 

Yep, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It's like Frazier thought it was 3rd and 20 and he was going to bring the blitz, which is fine, but not when it was 3rd and 4.  I told the wife exactly what was going to happen there and of course, it did, exactly.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Brandon said:

There were a lot of us who were of the same line of thinking over the last couple of seasons.  The level of priority the Bills have placed on defense just isn't in tune with the reality of how the game is played anymore.  

At this stage,  I feel like we're becoming the reincarnation of the 80s Broncos,  who wasted a decade of John Elway's career with defensive minded coach who didn't surround him with the talent or scheme that he needed. 

I hate to be the Monday morning QB but not investing in talent around josh was on display today. Bengals surrounded their elite QB with elite talent. The Bills got Diggs. Burrow has 4 options better than joshs #2 option. I liked the investment into cook and Shakir but neither were expected to be elite options this year. I will say we will never know what Crowder could have been but we undoubtedly missed a solid slot option with chemistry with josh. Hopefully some things could be found in FA or Shakir.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

Yeah I said it in game thread but our ability to evaluate talent needs to be called into serious question. 

Beane bought a lot of goodwill by hitting on the Josh pick but his pro scouting and drafting have both been shaky at best all over the roster. For the number of high draft picks on defense to not turn up one single game changer is extremely concerning. Like, not every pick can be elite but that many swings to miss on every one? 

Sad but true.

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

3rd and 4.. the entire D on the line.  Immediate pressure on Burrow!!   But tre was 10yards off the LOS ...easy toss and 5 yard gain to chase.  At that moment.. i knew we were losing.   They ..do not.. know how to play physical defense. 

That's the play that was it for me with Frazier. Most if not all defenses will be in press in that situation, but Fraziers "keep it in front of you" defense has tre way too far back. But let's say that was tres fault being too far back. If your a DC and you see your guy way to far back wouldn't you call TO or at least screaming move up? That tells me Frazier intended that and it was cowardly football.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.