Drew Bledsoe: Shark-Jumper

When did Drew's career turn sour? His first few years, he looked like the next Marino. In fact, I remember quite a few exciting QB shootouts between Dan & Drew, with TD passes and 400 yard performances flying all over the place.

So, when did it turn to crap? Most people will say it was that shot to the chest that almost killed Drew and made Tom Brady a star. But maybe it was before that. Remember all those pathetic last place years for the Pats? Maybe it was when he signed that ludicrous $100 million (or whatever) contract. Or was it later, with the Bills, when there were several weeks in a row without an offensive TD?

When exactly do you think Drew jumped the shark? Was there a particular moment when you knew it was over?

When did Drew's career turn sour?  His first few years, he looked like the next Marino.  In fact, I remember quite a few exciting QB shootouts between Dan & Drew, with TD passes and 400 yard performances flying all over the place.

So, when did it turn to crap?  Most people will say it was that shot to the chest that almost killed Drew and made Tom Brady a star.  But maybe it was before that.  Remember all those pathetic last place years for the Pats?  Maybe it was when he signed that ludicrous $100 million (or whatever) contract.  Or was it later, with the Bills, when there were several weeks in a row without an offensive TD?

When exactly do you think Drew jumped the shark?  Was there a particular moment when you knew it was over?

341178[/snapback]

His O Line and weapons around him in NE went south. Then he lost confidence. Same thing with Testicleverdi, he needs a wall in front of him and streaking receivers.

Yet he is still making more then our QB.  Maybe it hasn't happened yet, and a lot of the offensive problems where a team effort.

341184[/snapback]

Could be. A few NFL people still believe that, including Parcells. I'd be surprised if he has much success in Dallas. If he proves me wrong, I'll be happy for him.

For me, I gave up hope when I watched a press conference after another listless statue-esque zero TD performance where Drew seemed indignant. It was like whatever fire he may have had was gone and replaced with stubborn denial.

When did Drew's career turn sour?  His first few years, he looked like the next Marino.  In fact, I remember quite a few exciting QB shootouts between Dan & Drew, with TD passes and 400 yard performances flying all over the place.

So, when did it turn to crap?  Most people will say it was that shot to the chest that almost killed Drew and made Tom Brady a star.  But maybe it was before that.  Remember all those pathetic last place years for the Pats?  Maybe it was when he signed that ludicrous $100 million (or whatever) contract.  Or was it later, with the Bills, when there were several weeks in a row without an offensive TD?

When exactly do you think Drew jumped the shark?  Was there a particular moment when you knew it was over?

341178[/snapback]

When he lost Ben Coates as an outlet over the middle.

I'd venture the middling time b/w when he lost Ben Coates and several weeks after the injury when it was becoming clear Brady would be the Pats' QB of the future and the questions of how could he do it and Bledsoe utterly couldn't. It was a transition of losing confidence/skill he never got used to and didn't want to accept. The first half-season in Buffalo was like a sugar-high. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he did well in Big D right out of the gate and then similarly peters out.

It started when Parcells and C-Mart left for the Jets, then got worse when Bruce Armstrong and Ben Coates got old....

341196[/snapback]

Yep, that's when it happened. I only wish we believed that when we were first entertaining thoughts of getting him.

When he lost that Super Bowl against Green Bay. 4 INT's in that game, "Bledsoe was intercepted twice in the fourth quarter as the Patriots never crossed midfield in four fourth-quarter possessions."

http://www.superbowl.com/history/recaps/game/sbxxxi

Since that 4th quarter Bledsoe has been average to below average...

341178[/snapback]

'96 and '97 were good years, after that went down hill.

1996 New England Patriots 16 16 623 373 59.9 4086 6.56 84 27 15 30/190 45 3 83.7

1997 New England Patriots 16 16 522 314 60.2 3706 7.10 76 28 15 30/258 47 12 87.7

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1041

76.6 career QB rating.

I am actually worried about him.....

Parcell's isn't going to go out of his way to make sure things are perfect for Drew....he is going to expect him to perform....

- He will throw some great passes

- He will throw some awful interceptions...probably right when they dont need him to do it at a critical moment

and I think he finally takes the concussion that retires him....remember the year before last when he was getting hit and taking all those concussions?

I am actually worried about him.....

Parcell's isn't going to go out of his way to make sure things are perfect for Drew....he is going to expect him to perform....

- He will throw some great passes

- He will throw some awful interceptions...probably right when they dont need him to do it at a critical moment

and I think he finally takes the concussion that retires him....remember the year before last when he was getting hit and taking all those concussions?

341246[/snapback]

What hasn't Parcells given him?

We don't know what playbook or working out that Parcells have given Bledsoe. However, he has a stud RB, 2 probowl offensive linemen, plus signed Rivera from Green Bay, a great blocking FB in barnes, and Three good receivers in Glenn, Johnson and Morgan. He also has a pro bowl TE.

Parcells has given him everything to succeed.

I think what everyone is saying is pretty much what we discovered ourselves last year. When everything else around him is up to snuff, he is capabale of being one of the better QBs in the league. Otherwise, he's actually NEVER been one of those -- like a Marino, Elway, or Kelly -- who could improvise and carry a team on his shoulders.

I have always thought that having those formative years behind the tough-loving Parcells, served to hinder him in later years by playing for coaches that never demanded as much from him. In playing for guys like Pete Carrol and Gregg Williams, Drew allowed himself to become lazy.

The real question is whether or not Parcells can turn that intensity back on -- or has Bledsoe's apathy even taken him beyond that point? For evidence, I look back at the 2002 season when he came to Buffalo with something to prove. (Can anyone ever forget that Minnesota game -- the intensity he showed?) For the first half of the season, he was even better than the Drew of old. Then he ran into a buzz saw in New England and never recovered.

I would expect him to get off to another hot start in Dallas, as he once again has something to prove. With no New England (or even Buffalo) to worry about, he won't have to deal with the demons of old either. So I don't expect a mid-season collapse either. (Of course, he will have to face Greggy's Redskins twice... but everyone knows that the Skins have had trouble beating the 'Boys in recent years.)

However, as any fantasy football geek out there knows, Bledsoe's MO (even during his prime years) was to fizzle out at the tail end of the season. All in all, I'd expect him to break the 3000 yard mark (which is at least something he hasn't done for the past two seasons).

the second half of 1999 to be fair

| 1 nyj | 21 30 340 1 1 | 1 -1 0 |

| 2 ind | 27 45 299 4 0 | 3 7 0 |

| 3 nyg | 20 28 233 0 0 | 3 0 0 |

| 4 cle | 28 42 389 1 0 | 3 -1 0 |

| 5 kan | 23 45 334 2 2 | 2 1 0 |

| 6 mia | 17 36 225 1 1 | 1 6 0 |

| 7 den | 13 22 214 0 0 | 3 -2 0 |

| 8 ari | 14 22 276 4 0 | 0 0 0 |

1st half stats= 163 250 2310 13tds 4ints

| 10 nyj | 15 36 170 2 3 | 3 25 0 |

| 11 mia | 15 34 201 1 5 | 1 -1 0 |

| 12 buf | 18 34 205 1 1 | 2 6 0 |

| 13 dal | 14 25 176 0 2 | 7 10 0 |

| 14 ind | 31 44 379 1 1 | 4 18 0 |

| 15 phi | 23 49 331 0 4 | 2 7 0 |

| 16 buf | 10 21 101 0 0 | 3 26 0 |

| 17 bal | 15 25 108 1 1 | 3 0 0 |

141 219 1490 6 tds 17ints

It seemed after that first half of the season whatever happened to drew bledsoe during the course of the pats bye week in 1999, Bledsoe went from a promising young quaterback, to complete crap.