So, how’s Groot been playing so far this year? Complete breakdown.

Chandler#81

He’s doing a great job of using his hands and length to disrupt things and beat his guys. He does have some moves but I think those are still developing-as he works in those though just his bull rush is getting so good! So many times he is just taking his guy and pushing him backwards 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Chandman, thanks brother.  This was excellent.  What a metamorphosis this defensive line has become.  Between the drafts and now with Von, Jones, and Settle, not to mention the returns of Phillips and Shaq has transformed this line into one of the best in the league.  They are making it a little easier on a secondary whose had so many injuries to thrive.  

After week 6 this defense is..

Defense

Yards- Overall

Pass Defense

Rush Defense

Pts.

Take into account some of the passing yards defense is in garbage time, and did not equate this to points.

So looking at our offense it’s even more impressive.

Offense Total Yards

Pass

Rush

We are dominating.  It’s like a super team.  Who does this on both sides of the ball.  It took Congo Heat to lose this year just like it took Hurricane winds for the Lats to beat us last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chandman, thanks brother.  This was excellent.  What a metamorphosis this defensive line has become.  Between the drafts and now with Von, Jones, and Settle, not to mention the returns of Phillips and Shaq has transformed this line into one of the best in the league.  They are making it a little easier on a secondary whose had so many injuries to thrive.  

After week 6 this defense is..

Defense

Yards- Overall

Pass Defense

Rush Defense

Pts.

Take into account some of the passing yards defense is in garbage time, and did not equate this to points.

So looking at our offense it’s even more impressive.

Offense Total Yards

Pass

Rush

We are dominating.  It’s like a super team.  Who does this on both sides of the ball.  It took Congo Heat to lose this year just like it took Hurricane winds for the Lats to beat us last year.

I waited until week 6 to remind some on the. Stats as they become more real with a larger sample size.

• Like (+1) 1

In my opinion a lot has (rightfully so) been made about the steps Groot has made so far this year. He's playing fantastic. However I think Boogie has made some strides as well albeit in a smaller snap count. These 2 guys showing improvement was a key to our season and they have stepped up. Von Miller working with them in addition to the attention he draws for offenses on game day has been a huge factor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Now he looks impressive,  especially his bull rush. What interested me the most was that the Steelers were doubling him and singling Von. Says something about what they think of groot, but it seems surprising,  yet it looked like it was effective on the plays shown. Thoughts on that strategy?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In my opinion a lot has (rightfully so) been made about the steps Groot has made so far this year. He's playing fantastic. However I think Boogie has made some strides as well albeit in a smaller snap count. These 2 guys showing improvement was a key to our season and they have stepped up. Von Miller working with them in addition to the attention he draws for offenses on game day has been a huge factor. 

Billy, no doubt Boogie has shown progress and even Epenesa has looked better.  Epenesa, most likely will be a depth DE moving forward, yet Boogie should develop into an alternating starter.  We’ll probably use Shaq more for run heavy teams and Boogie for pass happy teams.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, JMM said:

Now he looks impressive,  especially his bull rush. What interested me the most was that the Steelers were doubling him and singling Von. Says something about what they think of groot, but it seems surprising,  yet it looked like it was effective on the plays shown. Thoughts on that strategy?

He’s becoming a Reggie White/Stratham-type end, which I think is a good aim.   I think he needs to use both bull-rush ability with his size as well as getting around the corner.  He will be hard to stop. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'd say not enough was made of the impact of Rousseau last season.    He tied for the NFL lead in run stops by a defensive lineman.  As a rookie.  Playing in a rotational system.  

He hit a rookie wall as a pass rusher but he was quite impactful rushing the passer and in general against the pass early in the season........including the interception of Mahomes(he almost had another INT versus Mahomes this year in a game that was FULL of repeats of big plays that had happened in prior Bills/Chiefs meetings).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

He’s becoming a Reggie White/Stratham-type end, which I think is a good aim.   I think he needs to use both bull-rush ability with his size as well as getting around the corner.  He will be hard to stop. 

That's high praise.

I get that people want to compare him to power ends who didn't use a lot of bend to get to the QB.......but otherwise I don't think he's that much like either of those guys.  They did it with brute strength.  

As I said in the draft process it's almost impossible to find a comp for him.   His game is unique.   The super long first stride........the Wilt Chamberlin-esque wingspan and hands that allow him to collect tackles that are out of range for other DL........and that elite GPS for finding the QB.

It's an unusual combination that I don't think we've ever seen in another player.   Certainly not in similarly built DL like Calais Campbell or Carlos Dunlap or Alfred Williams......for example.

I'm not saying he will end up in the all-time category like Bruce or Reggie or even Strahan...........but he has some traits that really lend themselves to making a high volume of plays.    And because he isn't hurdling blockers taking the corner at impossibly low angles like Bruce once did he does it kinda' quietly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.