A Few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Missed tackles aren't missed coverage by PFF.  It's he tried to tackle someone and didn't. 

Yeah I know that...I am thinking maybe the low grade had to do with that...and IMO, that open field tackle on Pacheco should have made up for the 3 missed tackles and then some.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yeah I know that...I am thinking maybe the low grade had to do with that...and IMO, that open field tackle on Pacheco should have made up for the 3 missed tackles and then some.

PFF is dumb - they do it on a per play basis.  There's additional weight for big plays, but they probably didn't add enough to that.  I thought he played fine, especially in the 2nd half.  In the first he wasn't notable. 

22 hours ago, rusty shackleford said:

When you think about some of those mistakes combined with the injuries we battled with while playing through what was thought to be the toughest part of our schedule, it really is amazing what they have been able to overcome and the results that they achieved in the process. Many really good teams would have struggled to overcome those challenges. It should be really interesting what this team will be able to do after we clean up those mistake, get back to almost fully healthy and get into the softer parts of the schedule.

I like McKenzie but I think he is best suited in the role he has been playing the few prior years for us as that speed/gadget guy with occasional plays designed specific to him. McD seems to really keep rookies down the depth chart unless he has no choice (like our early CB situation). I get having to earn the playing time, but it seems like he could be a little less conservative in this area and give Shakir a bigger role. It can't be any more risky than having to rely on McKenzie to be a consistent starter.

McKenzie is much better against teams that play a lot of man coverage. His speed is utilized best in this coverage vs zone. Shakir looks to be a better zone coverage WR. His early sample size shows he finds the holes and weaknesses in the opposing zones. Moving forward this should be an interesting watch. I think the Bills are in a decent position because both guys can produce. I suspect the Bills will start using Knox more in the pass game too. He just hadn't been heathly. Similar to the Davis situation. 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:45 AM, Virgil said:

I'm not foolish enough to believe that Chiefs win has any impact on how we play them again in the playoffs or if we will win it all, but I am able to take comfort in the fact that we can, and SHOULD, expect this team to win every single game they play.

Great write up. This is the only part I will disagree with, and only because the two game swing in the race for the number one seed. Both teams will have players back and likely others missing if we get a round 2 of this matchup. Both will also have made adjustments based on the other team, but hopefully next time will be in Buffalo where crowd noise and energy can help swing a game.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't subscribe to PFF grades, but I imaging it's his first-half play that contributed to a poorer grade. That game was a tale of two halves for Milano.

This seems more like what I saw. Joe B did his all 22 grades in the Athletic today. He had Milano as a top 5 contributor for the game.  I did not notice any issues with him in the first half, but to be fair, I was not keying in on him when I watched the game. I only noticed every time he stood out, which was almost always for positive reasons, not errors.

Top 5 grades:

1) Josh Allen (A)

2) Mitch Morse (A)

3) Von Miller (A-)

4) Tremaine Edmunds (A-)

5) Matt Milano (A-)

https://theathletic.com/3709749/2022/10/20/bills-all-22-film-review-chiefs/?source=user-shared-article

(link for if you have access to The Athletic)

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This seems more like what I saw. Joe B did his all 22 grades in the Athletic today. He had Milano as a top 5 contributor for the game.  I did not notice any issues with him in the first half, but to be fair, I was not keying in on him when I watched the game. I only noticed every time he stood out, which was almost always for positive reasons, not errors.

Top 5 grades:

1) Josh Allen (A)

2) Mitch Morse (A)

3) Von Miller (A-)

4) Tremaine Edmunds (A-)

5) Matt Milano (A-)

https://theathletic.com/3709749/2022/10/20/bills-all-22-film-review-chiefs/?source=user-shared-article

(link for if you have access to The Athletic)

I can't say I noticed Edmunds on the field once.  Which, I find to be a solid day.  Nothing splash of note stood out to me

• Like (+1) 1

Great write up Virgil, thanks.

Tbh, I don't think whoever graded Milano poorly, understood what he was supposed to be doing. I did see one play where he might be considered to have whiffed, or perhaps be out of position, but I'm not convinced he was, bearing in mind all of the other stuff he was doing, or being asked to do.

He has been terrific all year, and you are absolutely right about how quick he's getting around the field.

As regards Shakir, I think he is earning more playing time, but he's doing it by getting all the small stuff right, particularly his blocking assignments on any given play.

One of the first times we saw him this season, he totally whiffed on a block, that gave us problems, but it was a block that a week or two before, Davis had executed perfectly. I think it's a prime example of rookies having to earn their playing time, by doing everything right. Nobody thinks that Shakir can't run routes or catch the football, but the WR position isn't only about that, and to his credit, I think he's realized that quickly.

Miller has a little bit of Bruce about him. Back in the day, if you thought the D needed to step up, lo and behold, Bruce did (something). Miller, I feel, is cut from some of that same cloth. The really good players, have that extra feel for the game, that tells them when they really have to go. Miller did that Sunday, but he also did it a lot for the Rams in their final few games last season.

Allen has, for my money, clearly has the biggest arm in the NFL. Mahomes though, is no slouch either. Watching those two zip the football all over the field, it's hard to sometimes realize, just how good they both are. Until you go watch most of the other games, and see what looks to be every football thrown into headwinds.

As much as I liked seeing McDermott revel in the win, in the after game speech, what I took from it was Allen's leadership, finishing off with something like 'enjoy the bye week, stay sensible, stay safe, and above all else, Team First!' - I want that message coming from my QB if I'm the HC, I don't want to be having to say it myself.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.