Blacksburg, VA: How is it?

I have been offered a spot for a graduate program at Virginia Tech. It was sort of weird since they reversed a rejection they sent earlier without any pleading by me. It sort is one chance to do something outside of what I was going to do this Fall and I am giving it serious consideration. (I have other options in something else that is what I was planning to do). Figuring out whether the program is right for me is something I will do later, what I was hoping some folks here could do is tell me how the town where VTech is located is? I have never been to VA outside of the DC area and know very little about the town and the surrounding area.

Since I think there are some people who live in Virginia and perhaps know about the place here, I thought I would ask for opinions.

I hate to muck up the board with my own issues, especially since I realize that there are other sources of information, but there are lot of wise folks on this board so I am hoping to get some good info/advice here.

Thanks for the help.

It's very rural! If you're going to school there, I don't think there would be a lot of distractions. The biggest city near there is Roanoke. It's in the mountains of Virginia, so it does get pretty cold in the winter, but It's nice in it's own way. I think they still do some coal mining out that way. I would guess a 10-11 hour drive from BUF. I don't know about living costs, but considering its location, I would guess not bad!

A lot of things about this fall are in flux and since things are still pending, I am going to keep the specific program under wraps until things are finalized. I am not usually the paranoid type but I have been burned on this sort of thing before.

Blacksburg

Roanoke

I've been to Roanoke once, just last year. It's a bit out there but for 2 days it was OK. My friend is the GM of Hooters. Other friends tell me that Blacksburg is a great college town. Just in the middle of nowhere, IMO.

The top candidates backed out after accepting.  Since you weren't their first choice, this means that they are "settling" for you. Be forwarned.

338352[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Basically it is in a field that I like better but am not as good at the field I had settled on pursuing. C'est la vie...

The top candidates backed out after accepting.  Since you weren't their first choice, this means that they are "settling" for you. Be forwarned.

338352[/snapback]

Of course, that's exactly what happened when John Daly won the 1991 PGA Championship.

:doh:

If you can get over the fact that you will be rooting for a football team who's mascot is a castrated turkey, you'll have a good chance of being happy there.

338301[/snapback]

I'm an Orangeman, too, and proud of it, but I wouldn't be too quick to denigrate VT's mascot when we have that macho, intimidating Otto the Orange.

I have been offered a spot for a graduate program at Virginia Tech. It was sort of weird since they reversed a rejection they sent earlier without any pleading by me. It sort is one chance to do something outside of what I was going to do this Fall and I am giving it serious consideration. (I have other options in something else that is what I was planning to do). Figuring out whether the program is right for me is something I will do later, what I was hoping some folks here could do is tell me how the town where VTech is located is? I have never been to VA outside of the DC area and know very little about the town and the surrounding area.

Since I think there are some people who live in Virginia and perhaps know about the place here, I thought I would ask for opinions.

I hate to muck up the board with my own issues, especially since I realize that there are other sources of information, but there are lot of wise folks on this board so I am hoping to get some good info/advice here.

Thanks for the help.

338278[/snapback]

I just had a job interview there about three weeks ago. I live on the eastern end of Virginia. I turned down the job after it was offered to me in Blacksburg. It's a beautiful place, however, it's pretty boring, and there's not much around. Outside of V-Tech, there really isn't anything to do, or anywhere to go. V-Tech football could tide you over, but even though it was more money, I just couldn't see myself living there.

Just FYI, may help, may not. I looked around for two days and still couldn't talk myself into it. Doesn't mean it's a bad place, just not much going on.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Basically it is in a field that I like better but am not as good at the field I had settled on pursuing. C'est la vie...

338356[/snapback]

My wife went to Tech, and I have several friends who went there as well, all undergrad. and I have been there several times . Guess it depends a lot on what you expect. I have no qualification whatsoever to speak to the academic credtials of the school. However, it sure seems like a fun place to be if you like the small school atmosphere. For even as big as it is, it does maintain that type of presence.

Sure know all the fellas have said the lack of a lot to do can add the "boredom" of the ladies, if ya know what i mean.

I'm an Orangeman, too, and proud of it, but I wouldn't be too quick to denigrate VT's mascot when we have that macho, intimidating Otto the Orange.

338359[/snapback]

Your mascot is a FRUIT...literally. Not much fear induced unless it's a food fight.

PTR

338359[/snapback]

Im sorry i have no disrespect for the orangemen, but your mascot looks like a tumor. a castrated turkey sounds pretty weird too.

I've never been there, but I was close this spring (Roanoke). The climate is a little warmer over all than Buffalo. Summers are similar. January daytime highs average 10 degrees warmer. However, since it is not near a major body of water, as is Buffalo, it's liable to have greater extremes. Record lows are about where record lows are in the interior sections of WNY. Spring comes a little earlier (2-4 weeks) and fall a little later. It doesn't get nearly as much snow, a couple feet total in the winter season.

Im sorry i have no disrespect for the orangemen, but your mascot looks like a tumor. a castrated turkey sounds pretty weird too.

338653[/snapback]

When I was there we had the "Saltine Warrior," a fierce looking Indian on a horse. But that sort of thing has long been politically incorrect. I guess it's hard to offend an Orange.

When I was there we had the "Saltine Warrior," a fierce looking Indian on a horse. But that sort of thing has long been politically incorrect. I guess it's hard to offend an Orange.

338669[/snapback]

I'll take Otto over a castrated turkey any day, though the difference isn't as great as it would be if we the Saltine Warrior.

Solid school, btw :D

I spent six weeks there year after last drilling the cassions for the addition to the medical science wing .

Lived in a motel the whole time ..

Good news is you can buy Labatts at the walk in cooler at Krogers

there seem to be a lot of crack heads in the area . mostly the locals from what I decerned .

I was 5 minutes from the campus (through the center of town !!) and was staying at 1 of the three motels in town .

The only reason I ended up there was because half of the other workers in that particular company's employ had spent time in jail for leaving one of the multitude of this college town's bars and staggering down the road to the motel and were "run out of town ".

It was summer and I guess the cops had nothing better to do

It is a sleepy little town in the summer aside from the 3 swat team busts across the street at the other motel .

It is rural ....WAY RURAL , don't be low an gas 200 miles away if you're driving in after 5 pm and watch the speed traps !!

I really would'nt want to spend another minute of my llife there

but that's me