Before there were kneel downs...interesting old school clock killing methods

Big Turk

I assume the QB spike to stop the clock was not a thing yet in that 1980 Bengals/Oilers game?

Bengals got down to the 27 yard line on a QB scramble with about 10 seconds left. They need to stop the clock to attempt a game-winning 44yd FG. They get set up with about 4 seconds left, but the QB fires a quick pass to the Z-WR at the sideline so he can jump out of bounds & stop the clock. Time expires on the play, game over.

If the QB spikes it, they'd still have 2-3 seconds on the clock & can kick the FG.

Edited by 947

21 minutes ago, 947 said:

I assume the QB spike to stop the clock was not a thing yet in that 1980 Bengals/Oilers game?

Bengals got down to the 27 yard line on a QB scramble with about 10 seconds left. They need to stop the clock to attempt a game-winning 44yd FG. They get set up with about 4 seconds left, but the QB fires a quick pass to the Z-WR at the sideline so he can jump out of bounds & stop the clock. Time expires on the play, game over.

If the QB spikes it, they'd still have 2-3 seconds on the clock & can kick the FG.

No apparently it was because the announcers were talking that he had to hurry up and stop the clock by throwing it into the ground(I don't think they used the term spike as I don't think that was invented yet)

50 minutes ago, 947 said:

We also have to remember that in 1980 a 44-yard FG was hardly a gimme.  They probably should have stopped the clock, but I think they wanted a few more yards.  Their kicker at the time, Ian Sunter, finished the season with a 55% FG percentage and a long of 42!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.