Diagnosed with autism

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Simon said:

So I gave you one warning point for the only time in five years when you dragged a bunch of Trump garbage into an irrelevant thread, and now I don't understand autism?

Maybe I work with special needs kids every single day.

Maybe I'm even further along the spectrum than you.

You have no idea so I'd suggest you keep that insulting nonsense to yourself from now on.

what are you thinking of?

who did insult and how again?

I mentioned Donald Trump once on OTW,

BECAUSE I made a joke and was called a racist. 

so I mentioned a person who was racist.  
did I call someone a chronic masturbator? 

On 9/2/2022 at 8:59 AM, Draconator said:

My wife owns a literacy center that specializes in teaching kids and adults that fit the Dyslexia profile how to read. I just read her this and she said that Autism is the opposite of Dyslexia. According to the book "The Dyslexia Advantage", a group of cells called the "minicolums" which are a vertical arrangement of cells from the cortex of the brain, In dyslexic people, the minicolums are spaced widely apart. In Autistic people, they are spaced closely together.  

For years it was believed that you couldn't be both Autistic and Dyslexic at the same time. It was only recently that that has been proved to be false. 

i have aspergers.  I also have some mild form of dyslexia where I can easily switch orders of letters when I’m typing.  I also noticed a tendency fir my brain to switch words among common spelled one.

about 20 years ago I had brain surgery removing most of my left temporal lobe and left amygdoka and hippocampus to treat a form of epilepsy.  I noticed this became more common post surgery of the word changes. And example might be something like symptom and a different word like sympathy.

my brother is a university professor in cognitive psychology. He works in areas of brain mapping and memory recall. I’m skeptical of that idea of special brain cells being close vs far apart.  He’s done work in areas on the causes of prosopagnosia, synesthesia, rapid response recall/ recognition.

prior to my brain surgery I had a specialized pre screening surgery test. It’s called a Wanda test.  It simulates brain strokes in one hr,i sphere in your brain.

in my brain there were expected issue on my left side.  They send a mini catheter up my jugular from my groin area to one side and inject a chemical on one side of my brain that gives off warm heat. Feeling dryer hot air inside your head.  

during injection a Dr behind me ( I’m on my back) asked me to name basic objects.  I can hear him. I mentally recognize them but I can’t recall the words no can I speak the words.  They switch sides and repeat shutting down the bad side and I have no problems with this.  The objects were basic easily recognizable like a pencil, a cup, a ball.

it gave me a different perspective on those in vegetative states.

before and after I had a neuropsych test done on various memory tests. The first one took 5 hrs. The post surgery took less because they only focused on things that are usually tied to the left side where surgery occurred.  I had very littke differences before and after.

the long term differences I experience now are

1. I was poor memorizing long lists, I am probably worse now.

2. my memory recall is slower where it takes me longer to pull things out of memory. My brain computer is a celeron processor instead of dual-core.  Before surgery I could have been a jeopardy contestant and might win a few games with the luck of questions because I do have weak areas…today if I’m watching I can’t pull it out as fast as I used to.

3. I’ve notice more dyslexic type of behavior with switching letters in words or replacing parts ( ends) of words

4. I can’t open up my mouth as much as I could pre surgery.

short term affects all right after surgery….

I had surgery on a Friday. I was out all Saturday. Awake on Sunday.  I could talk fine. I could not write. I was like a kid writing the first time where I could not write in tight spaces like is typical on lines spaces. I knew letter shapes but coukdnt write them.

2. I got echos in my ear on surgery side

3. I lost saw of my mouth opening. Surgery cuts the muscle of your jaw.  I couldn’t open it much. I was limited to McDonald’s/ Burger King size basic burgers. I coukd not oprn my mouth enough to eat a sub sandwich or a Big Mac.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, muppy said:

many people would be surprised to know of famous people on the autistic spectrum . Just off the top of my head" Albert Einstein, Susan Boyle, Woody Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Neil Young, Darryl Hannah. 

I did some research and found this. I thought it was interesting. I discerned that without knowing their childhoods a 100% autism spectrum disorder dignosis isn't possible. But there IS a checklist that has proven correct. And that be a genius or brilliance in an area of singular focus. It could be science, math, music, etc etc etc For Neil Young it was music AND model trains of all things.

Obsessive detail to certain topics, trouble communicating clearly, and poor social skills.

Very broadly speaking, that sounds like many scientists I’ve encountered over the years.

But a British psychiatrist is now saying that some of the best-known scientists of all time had Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning disorder on the autism spectrum, which is characterized by similar symptoms.

According to Michael Fitzgerald, professor of psychiatry at Trinity College in Dublin, a long list of ‘geniuses’ ― including Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, George Orwell, H. G. Wells Ludwig Wittgenstein, Beethoven, Mozart, Hans Christian Andersen and Immanuel Kant ― all had Asperger syndrome.

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, muppy said:

I did some research and found this. I thought it was interesting. I discerned that without knowing their childhoods a 100% autism spectrum disorder dignosis isn't possible. But there IS a checklist that has proven correct. And that be a genius or brilliance in an area of singular focus. It could be science, math, music, etc etc etc For Neil Young it was music AND model trains of all things.

Very interesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.