Diagnosed with autism

Another Fan

Or autism spectrum disorder as it’s now called.  As more time passes I’m a little more comfortable talking about it.

Will try and not make this too much a LAMP post but thanks to all here who have listened to me through the years….   you know who you are

Ill leave it as while I’m often nostalgic for a lot of stuff in the past, this condition was never really properly understood when I was a kid.  Could have saved me lots of grief but that is what that is.  

If you have a child who displays symptoms my advise is still pay whatever money it is to get the best and most thorough evaluations done.  It could go unnoticed otherwise 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

It is indeed a spectrum, apparently. We know people who are somewhere on there, including my nephew. A good friend’s grandson is about 10 and has all kinds of little quirks (they can’t cut his hair, for one thing), but he’s in gifted classes at school. We are all different….in different ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Or autism spectrum disorder as it’s now called.  As more time passes I’m a little more comfortable talking about it.

Will try and not make this too much a LAMP post but thanks to all here who have listened to me through the years….   you know who you are

Ill leave it as while I’m often nostalgic for a lot of stuff in the past, this condition was never really properly understood when I was a kid.  Could have saved me lots of grief but that is what that is.  

If you have a child who displays symptoms my advise is still pay whatever money it is to get the best and most thorough evaluations done.  It could go unnoticed otherwise 

Asperger’s Syndrome 

welcome to the club 

We’re weird and that is just fine 

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

How does this diagnosis change your life?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

And how has this affected your life previously?

Short answer is communication and anxiety issues have always plagued me.  I can’t go backwards but at least I have an understanding of why some of that happened.  And things I know to work on going forward.  Ex: interpersonal skills 

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Asperger’s Syndrome 

welcome to the club 

We’re weird and that is just fine 

If you got officially diagnosed was it recently?   

Just that the Asperger’s diagnosis went away.  It’s just now called autism spectrum disorder where it’s all lumped into one diagnosis 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Short answer is communication and anxiety issues have always plagued me.  

If you got officially diagnosed was it recently?   

Just that the Asperger’s diagnosis went away.  It’s just now called autism spectrum disorder where it’s all lumped into one diagnosis 

Nope. My son was diagnosed when he was young. 

It’s not hard to add 2 + 2. 

I’m constantly misunderstood here ;) 😆 

Lacking in Social skills. 
Been this way all my life. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Nope. My son was diagnosed when he was young. 

It’s not hard to add 2 + 2. 

I’m constantly misunderstood here ;) 😆 

Lacking in Social skills. 
Been this way all my life. 

It’s a mystery to me. Most of the people we know who are on the spectrum have limitations of some type, but often exceptional skills in other ways. I guess we all play the hand we are dealt.  

Best wishes to everyone. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It’s a mystery to me. Most of the people we know who are on the spectrum have limitations of some type, but often exceptional skills in other ways. I guess we all play the hand we are dealt.  

Best wishes to everyone. 

I'm a college dropout putting people back on the moon. 

only I’m not wealthy like Elon 

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

I imagine this is a get-out-of-jail free card for any offensive behavior.

You can now act like an a-hole any time you want! 😎

quite the opposite 

I’ve got the ban’s to prove it ;) 😆 😝 

16 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I'm interested to know what specific symptoms you're referring to.

Cheers

OCD, ADD, ADHD, ABC to XYZ. 

Thick as a brick 🧱 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

quite the opposite 

I’ve got the ban’s to prove it ;) 😆 😝 

Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder?   🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Ahh, many of us have been there over the years. Myself included. Our Bills family is always there for us! We are among friends.

And those other guys, but we’ll ignore them for now.  :)

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Just that the Asperger’s diagnosis went away.  It’s just now called autism spectrum disorder where it’s all lumped into one diagnosis 

I was tested under DSM 4 rules, as having OCD and Social Anxiety.  I'm sure under DSM 5 they'd label me with ASD. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.