5 roster related questions - as we get closer to the final 53.

BuffaloBill

Your choices relative to the 2022 draft:  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What rookie (not named Araiza) is most likely to be named as a starter week #1?

• Kaiir Elam
    • James Cook
    • Terrel Bernard
    • Khalil Shakir
    • Christian Benford
    • Luke Tenuta
    • Baylor Spector
  2. 2. Which rookie will have the biggest overall season?

• Kaiir Elam
    • James Cook
    • Terrel Bernard
    • Khalil Shakir
    • Christian Benford
    • Luke Tenuta
    • Baylor Spector
  3. 3. How many of the 8 players chosen in the Bills 2022 draft will make the roster (not the practice squad)?

13 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I will puke if Cook is only activated for 8-10 weeks.  Guy needs to be active every week.

Bear it’s no different than every other year with the McBeane Bills.  They only activate 2.  I’m not saying it’s right.  I’m just saying it’s what they do.  I love what Cook can do.  Since they probably won’t extend Singletary, Cook will see more time next year.  Then again, we will draft another RB in 23.  It’s a smart move.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bear it’s no different than every other year with the McBeane Bills.  They only activate 2.  I’m not saying it’s right.  I’m just saying it’s what they do.  I love what Cook can do.  Since they probably won’t extend Singletary, Cook will see more time next year.  Then again, we will draft another RB in 23.  It’s a smart move.

I was thinking about actives and inactives this morning. You can dress 48 as long as 8 are offensive linemen. So that is 5 inactives. For week 1 we all but know that one of those is Tre White. So that leaves you needing four more.... I was wondering if you can maybe activate 4 running backs (including Taiwan Jones) if you don't activate Jamison Crowder? At receiver you'd have Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir and Kumerow, plus Cook and Knox and Howard who could split wide in an emergency to get you out of a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was thinking about actives and inactives this morning. You can dress 48 as long as 8 are offensive linemen. So that is 5 inactives. For week 1 we all but know that one of those is Tre White. So that leaves you needing four more.... I was wondering if you can maybe activate 4 running backs (including Taiwan Jones) if you don't activate Jamison Crowder? At receiver you'd have Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir and Kumerow, plus Cook and Knox and Howard who could split wide in an emergency to get you out of a game. 

It’s an interesting twist as if they see Cook as really a WR as a RB, it’s possible he may be activated, but not a lock.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s an interesting twist as if they see Cook as really a WR as a RB, it’s possible he may be activated, but not a lock.

Yea and just reading Joe B's piece from the Athletic on Sunday he has a really interesting observation that having run with their starting three receivers - Diggs, Davis and McKenzie - early they pulled Diggs immediately after his second reception (he was second only to Josh to be pulled on offense) and they then went Davis and McKenzie wide and Crowder as the next man up in the slot. So maybe they wouldn't sit him. Would they sit Shakir? Maybe but probably not. I think the only way they activate all their backs though is by sitting a receiver and it isn't gonna be Diggs or Davis, it won't be McKenzie, and it isn't going to be Kumerow if he makes the roster because of STs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea and just reading Joe B's piece from the Athletic on Sunday he has a really interesting observation that having run with their starting three receivers - Diggs, Davis and McKenzie - early they pulled Diggs immediately after his second reception (he was second only to Josh to be pulled on offense) and they then went Davis and McKenzie wide and Crowder as the next man up in the slot. So maybe they wouldn't sit him. Would they sit Shakir? Maybe but probably not. I think the only way they activate all their backs though is by sitting a receiver and it isn't gonna be Diggs or Davis, it won't be McKenzie, and it isn't going to be Kumerow if he makes the roster because of STs. 

I tend to think it’ll vary somewhat depending on gameplan. But the combined number of active (RB + FB + TE + WR) will mostly stay the same. 

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I suspect that trend will change somewhat this season.  I think Cook is active every week and the odd man out is Moss or a reserve WR.  Cook is essentially another slot receiver, so I could see one of Crowder/Shakir (likely Crowder, since Shakir can play outside) as inactive depending on matchups.  Cook can easily slide into the slot in 5 wide formations.  I think that type of positionally versatility is exactly why they drafted him. 

Edited by TheBrownBear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.