My dog passed away

I know these posts show up every so often, and I never thought I'd make one, but I just got the news and there is no one else around to tell. My parents just called me to let me know that my(our) dog died yesterday of internal bleeding in his stomach. He was a small dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for thsoe who are familiar) and had developed a chronic cough due to an enlarged heart pushing on his lungs. He fought it with no complaints for over a year, but I guess eventually it was just his time. He was 12 years old and had a great life.

We got him in the summer of '93 when I was just 9 years old. He really was just the most loving and trusting creature from the moment we first saw him. Being an only child, it was also often that it was him that I would talk to and be with when I felt alone. He added so much to our lives and it is just so hard to get news like that 2 days before I am supposed to graduate college. I knew he wasn't gonna last too much longer, but I am going home Monday and I really hoped I he would hang in there for a few more days so I would get to see him one last time.

I always knew news like this would be hard to take, and thankfully I have never lost a close family member, but you just can't prepare for how you are going to feel.

So thanks for letting me get it out..... :)

R.I.P. Wendell ------- 4/21/93-5/11/05

Bart

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these posts show up every so often, and I never thought I'd make one, but I just got the news and there is no one else around to tell. My parents just called me to let me know that my(our) dog died yesterday of internal bleeding in his stomach. He was a small dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for thsoe who are familiar) and had developed a chronic cough due to an enlarged heart pushing on his lungs. He fought it with no complaints for over a year, but I guess eventually it was just his time. He was 12 years old and had a great life.

We got him in the summer of '93 when I was just 9 years old. He really was just the most loving and trusting creature from the moment we first saw him. Being an only child, it was also often that it was him that I would talk to and be with when I felt alone. He added so much to our lives and it is just so hard to get news like that 2 days before I am supposed to graduate college. I knew he wasn't gonna last too much longer, but I am going home Monday and I really hoped I he would hang in there for a few more days so I would get to see him one last time.

I always knew news like this would be hard to take, and thankfully I have never lost a close family member, but you just can't prepare for how you are going to feel.

Bart

334744[/snapback]

I'm so sorry to hear the news. I know exactly how you feel. Ilost my "best friend" last year too. The best thing to do is to get a new "friend" in a couple months. It really helps. But nothing will ever take the place of him. It's so hard, I know. But I believe that our pets go to heaven too, and we'll see them all again one day.

I'm so sorry to hear the news. I know exactly how you feel. Ilost my "best friend" last year too. The best thing to do is to get a new "friend" in a couple months. It really helps. But nothing will ever take the place of him. It's so hard, I know. But I believe that our pets go to heaven too, and we'll see them all again one day.

334762[/snapback]

Right there with you! I had an old Shep/Husky mix die a year ago. I got that dog when I was in the fourth grade. Someone hit him and left him lying on the side of the road. Drive me crazy... I took that dog everywhere and some idiot didn't have the decency to stop.

It's more difficult than most realize, I know. Advice? Don't try and replace yet. If you want a new dog, wait a while.

-Jeff

Dogs are sensitive, keenly alert to your feelings and wishes... if someone visits you whom you don't like, watch the dog, for he will be watching your visitor. After he has been with you a few years, you will find that often you don't have to speak a wish. He will know and respond... You become a part of him and he becomes a part of you. The only tragic part of owning a dog is that part of you is buried with him when he dies...

Bummer, man. My eldest is turning 13 on Sunday. He won't be with us much longer, I'm sure.

Bart

334744[/snapback]

I hear you bro, we lost our female black lab last week. She had to be put to sleep. It was a complication from having her litter. The nice way to see it is that there was a massive utroen (sp?) infection. The bottom line was that there was a dead puppy in her for the last 4.5 weeks. Not a pretty sight.

Jeff

Condolences. :)

For anyone who doesn't understand how special that relationship is, there is an article in Field&Stream archives titled "Just A Dog" written by their gun dog columnist when he lost his best friend. Some people have no idea.

My GSP had a close brush w/ death (leg was clipped by a car going 60 in a 10) last year that has me knowing when it's his time to go, it's going to be very tough.

That writer, BTW, said that in his long experience, it's best to get a puppy after a few weeks and do your best to avoid carrying any baggage by making comparisons and bringing back sad memories (and that often, getting a different breed helps this).

Bart,

I had to put our Shih Tzu down about three years ago. He was old and kept falling down the stairs and started to go blind. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

sorry about your loss.

That sucks, my condolences brother, don't think about life without him, instead remember the last 12 years with him.

Some people might read this thread and laugh and say "well it's just a dog" but some people don't understand that a pet becomes part of a family quickly. My yellow lab Molly will just be making one year old on june 2nd, but I couldn't imagine life after her, and I realize how boring life was before her. I hope to have her around for a long time.

Condolenses. :)

12 years is really good for that breed of dog though; my wife and I were thinking about getting a dog ourselves and seriously considered the King Charles Spaniel. The health problems scared us off because we didn't want to risk losing a member of the family after only 4-6 years.

Remember the good times.

CW