Watergate is 50 yrs old.

This week, 50 yrs ago, a couple of crazed Cubans, close friends of H. Howard Hunt (of grassy knoll fame), for a few 100 dollar bills, decided to party at the Watergate late one evening. The beginning of the end for Richard Millhouse. While IMHO, Nixon was otherwise a great Prez, he was at least honorable, respected the law even while violating it. In the end he loved his country and did what was best. (He was loved by many, including Alex P. Keaton.)

Real press did their jobs. Many experienced Deep Throat's commitment long before the Lewinsky theory.

An era when it was natural not to lie, not to make up alternate theories. When WH counsel John Dean worried about being believed as he told the truth.

Nixon should have gone into history as a great Prez. In my mind, he was.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Maybe Reagan is close, but I agree.

Reagan is a PPP golden boy but ultimately is whitewashed because of the inevitable end of the Soviet threat and having been shot. He’s as guilty as anyone for the current status of China on the world stage. 

46 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Reagan is a PPP golden boy but ultimately is whitewashed because of the inevitable end of the Soviet threat and having been shot. He’s as guilty as anyone for the current status of China on the world stage. 

Completely disagree, but not Watergate related.

Edited by sherpa

16 hours ago, LeviF said:

Nixon, for all his paranoia, was probably our last good president. 

Really? You like his price controls policy? His criminality? Expanding wars were were suppose to be getting out of? 

What was so good about him? 

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Really? You like his price controls policy? His criminality? Expanding wars were were suppose to be getting out of? 

What was so good about him? 

China policy.

Ending Vietnam War

Cared about the nation, not just his party. 

Could walk and chew gum to unlike any of the past 3 prez.

Was strong and respectful, something which was totally missing for 14 years now.

Checkers

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

China policy.

Ending Vietnam War

Cared about the nation, not just his party. 

Could walk and chew gum to unlike any of the past 3 prez.

Was strong and respectful, something which was totally missing for 14 years now.

Checkers

Oh, you are happy he got us closer to China? 

He did not end Nam, it went on and on under his promise to end it 

He was our last drunk president 

Strong? Getting his ass kicked out of office Strong? 

Checkers, lol, where he promised he wasn’t corrupt? 

Alger Hiss was not a spy 

• Vomit 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, Niagara Bill said:

This week, 50 yrs ago, a couple of crazed Cubans, close friends of H. Howard Hunt (of grassy knoll fame), for a few 100 dollar bills, decided to party at the Watergate late one evening. The beginning of the end for Richard Millhouse. While IMHO, Nixon was otherwise a great Prez, he was at least honorable, respected the law even while violating it. In the end he loved his country and did what was best. (He was loved by many, including Alex P. Keaton.)

Real press did their jobs. Many experienced Deep Throat's commitment long before the Lewinsky theory.

An era when it was natural not to lie, not to make up alternate theories. When WH counsel John Dean worried about being believed as he told the truth.

Nixon should have gone into history as a great Prez. In my mind, he was.

I think you've hopelessly romanticized the good old days when everyone loved country and the free press was free.  

One critical difference between then and now is the access to information (and of course the proliferation of disinformation).  Back in the day, the flow of information was much more restricted. 

Btw--I'll have to see if I can find it, but I have an old Newsweek magazine from the late 1950s.  Millhouse is quoted in there about certain politicians in an attempt to connect them to the Commies.  There are no new ideas, just recycled controversies.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, you are happy he got us closer to China? 

He did not end Nam, it went on and on under his promise to end it 

He was our last drunk president 

Strong? Getting his ass kicked out of office Strong? 

Checkers, lol, where he promised he wasn’t corrupt? 

Alger Hiss was not a spy 

A lot of your corporations did well in China dealings and citizens lives improved with cheaper goods. We learned from China like we learned from Japan. And all this came after McCarthy condemned half the country.

Seriously tibs, only repubs have spys? And you do not like dogs. 

Edited by Niagara Bill

On a scale of 1 to 10 Watergate would be about a 2 in comparison to some of the crap the politicians pull today just the lies they told to the FISA court to be able to pull the crap they did back then they would have had to fire every one involved but today MEH it' nothing tells us all just where our world today is in the toilet !! 

On 6/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, LeviF said:

Nixon, for all his paranoia, was probably our last good president. 

I feel Kennedy was and from there on out every president knew they needed to play the way they were suppose to or else .