Help me out, what does the new defense look like?

BillsFan692

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, we'll see. I'm really liking what I hear about Settle and what a hard worker and impact player he can be. Maybe they play him and Oliver on obvious pass rush downs and Jones is in on 1st and 2nd down for run stuffing?

I was against re-signing Phillips at the time and I'm not too excited to sign him back now. Phillips is not a scheme guy. He does one thing and that's go after the QB. He doesn't play sound football. He doesn't fill appropriate gaps. He is a liability at times. He is a physical force, though.

I kind of agree but we need someone to pressure up front and he provides that maybe passing downs is all we see him but if he can get pressure I’m good with it 

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

A GM has to make tough and hard choices and Jerry is nowhere near his prime, he should retire. I. Love the guy but this is business. We are in the business of winning a SB….

I totally get your point and this is not a disagreement, but who replaces Jerry then?  If he comes back cheap his pressures may turn into sacks next year.  

Edited by RyanC883

Buffalo will continue to use a rotation at the one tech spot, Jones is likely to have more of the reps in obvious run down situations where Settle gets more reps in obvious passing downs.  Rousseau may be the starter at LDE, but Basham is going to get reps there too.  Miller obviously starts at RDE.  He's also get most of the obvious passing down reps.  

7 hours ago, Georgie said:

Why do people assume Addison or Hughes will be back but Epenesa will get traded?

Cuz AJ ain’t cutting’ it. Now easily the weakest member of the Dline.

as for the overall new Defense, it’s still formulating. I’ll check back in a couple days. But it looks better now than the Number #1 Defense we last saw.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I really think he’s a DE even in 4-3 alignments. You don’t want Miller covering.

Funny enough last year, according to PFF he went back into coverage 69 times and had a coverage score of 90.9...so he's not bad

On 3/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

God I'd love to see Jerry hoist a Lombardi. Considering all the ref crap he's had to deal with. From what I've read,  Settle is slightly better than Jones. Groot should be able to step up his game with Von chasing qbs back toward him. AJE just didn't pop this season and I'd try trading him with Edmunds. Phillips,  Jones and Boogie will rotate as depth. Please give your top 4 at least 60% of the snaps.

I don’t see Edmonds being traded. With the Miller signing we are clearly going after the Lombardi, it doesn’t make sense to trade our starting MLB, making a big hole on our defense. 

Drafting a replacement for next season would make much more sense. Who replaced Edmonds if he is traded this season? 

If AJE is traded, it could possibly be a player for player trade like Hughes was back in the day or just a late round pick. Beane is certainly good at flipping guys for picks. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.