While I'm saying one for Fergy . . .

I had already left town when the Bills moved him to Detroit with nobody left to play the position. I never knew why he had to go. Does anyone else remember? Was he too expensive?

I had already left town when the Bills moved him to Detroit with nobody left to play the position.  I never knew why he had to go.  Does anyone else remember?  Was he too expensive?

329345[/snapback]

Cause he was old and couldn't see, couldn't pass, couldn't run, etc...

I had already left town when the Bills moved him to Detroit with nobody left to play the position.  I never knew why he had to go.  Does anyone else remember?  Was he too expensive?

329345[/snapback]

He was getting up in years and the Bills were looking to go forward.

Sadly, that meant Vince Ferragamo, Joe Dufek and Brue Mathison.

329345[/snapback]

He also was growing increasingly unpopular with the fans...the Bills were coming off a moderatley successful stretch (acutally very successful, given the history of the Bills from 1967 to 1979) and it looked like Fergy had taken the team as far as he could...he was getting up there, to be sure. They also had drafted Jim Kelly, and were hopeful of prying him away from the USFL. Kelly, at the time, was pretty vocal about not wanting to play in Buffalo, and I seem to remember him making some dispariging remark about Ferguson, after attending a post draft mini-camp. It was sort of like Bledsoe's percieved slap at JP Losman, you remember, "I don't see myself as a back-up in this leauge, particularly not Joe Ferguson." Jimbo was kind of an arrogant punk back then...he made up for it later!

Ironically, I think Fergy ended up playing longer in the league than any of those guys, in fact possibly more than all of them combined! :lol:

329353[/snapback]

Oh my, reading that unfearsome threesome after JF makes me realize "you know what, it really isnt that bad right now that we missed the playoffs last year"...Man those were dark days, when I used to be at least somewhat happy if the Bills scored 20 or more points, forget winning the game!!!

Oh my, reading that unfearsome threesome after JF makes me realize "you know what, it really isnt that bad right now that we missed the playoffs last year"...Man those were dark days, when I used to be at least somewhat happy if the Bills scored 20 or more points, forget winning the game!!!

329392[/snapback]

Don't forget Matt Kofler, Willie Totten and Brian McClure. God those were dark days. An entire generation of fans has grown up since then, so they're excused, but I have no patience for people my age and older who didn't become Bills fans until AFTER those dark days had passed.

329353[/snapback]

IIRC, Mathison resurfaced with the replacement Seahawks. He had one stellar game (if you can call it that) when he was pitch 'n catch with a picket-line-crossing Steve Largent.

Don't forget Matt Kofler, Willie Totten and Brian McClure.  God those were dark days.  An entire generation of fans has grown up since then, so they're excused, but I have no patience for people my age and older who didn't become Bills fans until AFTER those dark days had passed.

329406[/snapback]

Everyone forgot to mention a certain QB we drafted out of Maryland in 1985 by the name of Reich, who aside from Fergy was the only true QB the Bills ever deveolped. As Kemp came from San Diego, Kelly from the USFL, RJ from Jacksonville, Flutie from the CFL and Bledsoe from New England. Of course time will only tell what Losman will become.

Everyone forgot to mention a certain QB we drafted out of Maryland in 1985 by the name of Reich, who aside from Fergy was the only true QB the Bills ever deveolped. As Kemp came from San Diego, Kelly from the USFL, RJ from Jacksonville, Flutie from the CFL and Bledsoe from New England. Of course time will only tell what Losman will become.

329453[/snapback]

Todd Collins?

329453[/snapback]

What? We didn't develop Todd Collins? :lol::lol:

329453[/snapback]

What about Richie Lucas, Darryl LaMonica, Dennis Shaw, and Dan Darragh? :lol:

Stan Gelbaugh was one of ours too, wasn't he?

Last I heard he was the volunteer offensive coordinator for the Bullis School, a private prep school in MD (outside DC) where his son is a student. I wonder if they run the K-Gun there!

I notice nobody brought up Gary Marangi. He was supposed to replace Ferguson in his prime during the OJ years and he looked terrific until he actually got into games and started playing.

sounds like the bills trading fergy was like when they had to put down old yeller

329521[/snapback]

that is more true than you can imagine.

i was a Jr. at SUNY Geneseo when they traded him. Everyone in the dorm new I was his biggest fan, to the extent that i was nicknamed "Fergy".

I taped a black sash across my door until the end of the semester. :lol:

I remember being extatic for him the year he had a big game in Detroit on Thanksgiving. I think he might have actually won one of those stupid John Madden Turkey Drumstick awards.