Article on Liam Ezekiel

I read the article on Ezekiel linked on the TBD homepage. What I don't get is that the author, someone who admits to not liking Ezekiel (and I guess that should be my answer right there), calls him "unathletic" and "undersized." When I look at his combine numbers compared to the top ILB's this past draft (Tatupu, Thurman, and Ruud, all 2nd rounders), he is close or better in everything except 20-yard shuttle to Ruud and 40-time to Thurman. He's also as tall or taller than Thurman and Tatupu, and heavier than all of them. So I can't see calling him "unathletic" and "undersized" without doing the same to the other top ILB's. Other things he's got going for him is that he's pretty smart and strong like bull, and has a passion for the game. Now the run-in with the kicker is a concern, but I doubt something like that ever becomes an issue again with him in the NFL, and I don't know of any on-field problems with discipline/personal fouls. His major knock though, and what he'll have to prove he can overcome, is his small school background, which he dominated and that should count for something. But I like the other things about him and think he could be a real find.

Boston has a history of sports writers trying to be the story. I guess this kid is trying to get an early start in a career of muckraking. Once he graduates, he should fit right in at the Boston Globe, Herald, WEEI, or one of the Boston TV stations.

PTR

I wouldn't put much stock in the ramblings of a pissed off 20-year old pencil-necked english major writing his first "column."

As you said, LE's measurables are comparable to or better than the ILBs drafted in the second round. His agent, Joe Linta, is one of the most respected in the business. And the fact that "only 20" 1-AA linebackers are playing in the NFL, IMO, reinforces rather than hurts his chances of making it.

Is he a lock? No way. But at the worst, he'll probably make the team as a ST wildman and if things work out, supplant Haggen as a LF's backup.

I could go on, but this "columnist" isn't worth it... :blink::)

The Atlantic 10 is by far the best 1AA conference out there. It is usually ranked ahead of non-BCS 1A conferences every year in the power rankings. What he accomplished in that conference is no small feat. It will just be a matter of having the measurables to be successful in the NFL. I hope the writer of that article plans on pursuing a career other than sports journalism once he enters the real world.

I wouldn't put much stock in the ramblings of a pissed off 20-year old pencil-necked english major writing his first "column."

As you said, LE's measurables are comparable to or better than the ILBs drafted in the second round.  His agent, Joe Linta, is one of the most respected in the business.  And the fact that "only 20" 1-AA linebackers are playing in the NFL, IMO, reinforces rather than hurts his chances of making it.

Is he a lock?  No way.  But at the worst, he'll probably make the team as a ST wildman and if things work out, supplant Haggen as a LF's backup.

I could go on, but this "columnist" isn't worth it... :blink:  :)

Yeah, I figured it was the wannabe hack journalist, not the player. As for "only 9.9% of 1-AA players being in the NFL" as hurting Ezekiel, I laughed (and was amazed it was that many) when I read that. Okay, next!

Could be that he has a bit of Romanowski in him...

328468[/snapback]

Could also be that he has a bit of Romanowski's medicine cabinet in him...

Boston has a history of sports writers trying to be the story.  I guess this kid is trying to get an early start in a career of muckraking.  Once he graduates, he should fit right in at the Boston Globe, Herald, WEEI, or one of the Boston TV stations.

PTR

328359[/snapback]

Amen. He uses "I" or "me" aprroximately 17 times in one article. Go sell bluster somewhere else kid, we're all full up 'round here.

Could also be that he has a bit of Romanowski's medicine cabinet in him...

328546[/snapback]

Not with Joe Linta as his agent. The guy's the anti-Rosenhaus.

http://www.jlsports.net/players_profiles/joelinta.html

FYI, check out TD's quote on Linta's website:

http://www.jlsports.net/teammates.html

"JL Sports may be the smartest agency in the business…they understand the rookie cap and the salary cap. They came in one afternoon and got 3 deals done."

-- Tom Donahoe,

Buffalo Bills President

....more pimping for Ezekiel!  :blink:  :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/75788.html

Factoid from the East-West Shrine game:

Even though Ezekiel was second team behind starter Lionel Turner, he ended up with 6 tackles (1 solo, 5 assists), third highest in the game and two more than Turner.

I liked this part:

ANALYSIS: A linebacker with great intensity as well as football intangibles, Ezekiel is only limited by a lack of size for the next level. Yet even with that, has the athleticism and speed to potentially be used at a weak side position in a 34 defense. The fact he plays faster than he times in the 40 along with great instincts give him a chance to make a final roster and produce in the NFL.

Again, how is 6' and 249# "undersized?" Again he's as tall as Thurman and Tatupu, and WAY taller than Fletcher.