Broncos price tag could reach 4 billion

stuvian

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Ralph took MUCH more risk than Terry. 

Ralph took more risk. Got much more reward. “Bills” were his core “wealth”. *Always hated how he cheaped on areas like coach.*

Terry knew he would always breakeven at worst, and make solid profit at best. Terry core wealth was frack-land. Bills are a fun hobby and investment with ultra low risk. 

I don’t know how Elway amasses the cash but he has a group. 

After the last 4 wks of NFL football, I think the financial future is VERY bright. People are watching a lot of NFL on Thu, Mon, Tue, Sat….and even Sunday. 

Edited by Since1981

5 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Ralph took more risk. Got much more reward. “Bills” were his core “wealth”. *Always hated how he cheaped on areas like coach.*

Terry knew he would always breakeven at worst, and make solid profit at best. Terry core wealth was frack-land. Bills are a fun hobby and investment with ultra low risk. 

And this is why Terry spends big bucks on coaches and Ralph didn't; Ralph's fortune was the team itself, so a pricey coaching staff was a big chunk of his liquid assets. Terry's net worth is more than twice the team's value, so he's got plenty of readily available cash to toss around.

I know - Ralph spent money on his personal indulgences, as we all do to whatever extent we can. But the fact remains: when you've got a bigger pool of "fun money," you tend to splurge more on the fun.

None of these owners take on much risk in my opinion:

1. First, I'm sure they don't use all of their own money.  I'm sure some of it is financed. Only risk is if they horribly overpay or have very poor financing terms.
  2. They are going to make money on the franchise appreciating if they ever want to sell.  Only risk there is if NFL suddenly becomes unpopular like newspapers today.  Clearly explains why they came down so hard on the anthem kneelers and why Kaeperdick is out of the league.
  3. They get revenue from TV contract, radio rights, concessions, internet, merchandise, liscensing fees, PSL's, parking, ticket sales, etc.  It goes on and on.
  4. They get tax breaks on their operating income.
  5. They get major bank if a new franchise is issued.
  6. They share profits.  That's why the Jerry Jones of the world probably hate the Bils and Pegulas and why there is SO much pressure to get a new stadium or pick up stakes. 

My $.02.      

Edited by Irv

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

None of these owners take on much risk in my opinion:

1. First, I'm sure they don't use all of their own money.  I'm sure some of it is financed. Only risk is if they horribly overpay or have very poor financing terms.
  2. They are going to make money on the franchise appreciating if they ever want to sell.  Only risk there is if NFL suddenly becomes unpopular like newspapers today.  Clearly explains why they came down so hard on the anthem kneelers and why Kaeperdick is out of the league.
  3. They get revenue from TV contract, radio rights, concessions, internet, merchandise, liscensing fees, PSL's, parking, ticket sales, ONLINE GAMBLING SITES, etc.  It goes on and on.
  4. They get tax breaks on their net profit
  5. They get major bank if a new franchise is issued.
  6. They share profits.  That's why the Jerry jones of the worrl probably hat the Bils and Pegulas and why there is SO much pressure to get a new stadium or pick up stakes. 

My $.02.      

Fixed

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

I don’t know how Elway amasses the cash but he has a group. 

After the last 4 wks of NFL football, I think the financial future is VERY bright. People are watching a lot of NFL on Thu, Mon, Tue, Sat….and even Sunday. 

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

And this is why Terry spends big bucks on coaches and Ralph didn't; Ralph's fortune was the team itself, so a pricey coaching staff was a big chunk of his liquid assets. Terry's net worth is more than twice the team's value, so he's got plenty of readily available cash to toss around.

I know - Ralph spent money on his personal indulgences, as we all do to whatever extent we can. But the fact remains: when you've got a bigger pool of "fun money," you tend to splurge more on the fun.

How expensive was McD (relatively, when he was first signed) compared to any of the coaches Ralph hired post 2000?

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ralph Wilson would make noise about leaving with the team; I sincerely doubt he would have.  Modell skulked out of town in the dead of night after saying he wasn't leaving.  Quite a few local newscasts from Cleveland still have footage on YouTube over that.

Modell was a people pleaser..........Ralph was selfish.

Modell couldn't say no to anyone..........he wouldn't play hardball with Cleveland and the city knew it so they kept putting the Browns stadium on the back burner.......... then the city literally built a "hardball" stadium for the tradition-poor(but trending upward) Indians when the Browns were playing in a total dump..........Modell was in debt up to his ears from bad business deals, loans he gave out to deadbeats and grossly overpaying players and staff to make everyone like him.........and finally he had to slip out of town in shame.     It was probably Modell's worst nightmare.  

People think Ralph just objected to the Browns moving..........I think he was mostly just disgusted by Modell's very different business acumen and resented the fact that the Baltimore deal bailed his sorry ass out. :lol:

Ralph had his flaws but he wasn't going to ruin his franchise just to make people like him........he looked out for #1 and that did serve to keep the franchise profitable.    

And keeping the team in town and his Ralph C Wilson charitable foundation will ensure that his legacy endures LONG after those of us who know what he was actually like as an owner and endured his mercurial stewardship will be alive to tell about it. :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.