The Portal

Willyville Guy

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I enjoy College Football ( My wife is an OSU Alum, and we enjoy watching those games) but I think that anything that can benefit players outside of this long entrenched, multi-Billion dollar system, is a good thing.

I too advocate for the players. I strongly object to extra games. That said, the portal thing is a bit much in some ways (imo). Right now, a player can break his NIL contract and switch year to year. Even NFL players cannot do this. Also, other than the stars, many players will not see a dime. I think that the system need work. Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Point taken.

Perhaps I should learn more about this 'Portal' business, before making a firm judgement.

That being said, I have felt for many years that organizations like the NCAA, are simply a form of organized Crime..

Yeah if these kids are playing on TV for what amounts to huge money for "their universities"...........they should be getting paid like professionals.

The football factories don't love the NIL stuff because they've had virtual slave labor forever..........but it actually allows them to keep stealing for the time being.

How people get their education will change drastically over the next few decades...........college sports will have to admit they are a pro sport and share the wealth eventually.

• Agree 2

On 1/4/2022 at 12:37 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

We're hearing UGA here in Oklahoma. It is ridiculous and I hate OU. Kid is the lock starter for a top 10 program and he's going to shop is $$$$ around thanks to the NIL. 

The end of college football as we know it as started. 

The end of college football as we know it is probably the best sports news in the last 20 years.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I too advocate for the players. I strongly object to extra games. That said, the portal thing is a bit much in some ways (imo). Right now, a player can break his NIL contract and switch year to year. Even NFL players cannot do this. Also, other than the stars, many players will not see a dime. I think that the system need work. Jmo.

That's true about the NIL deals, though I do think it's written that way to protect the schools (boosters) not the players.

Players can get promised whatever to come to a school, but if they end up being a 2 star in a 5 stars body, their scholarship and NIL deals are gone in a heartbeat. 

Players benefitting is just a consequence of protecting the boosters from having to pay kids who are no longer with the team (for whatever reason) etc.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

That's true about the NIL deals, though I do think it's written that way to protect the schools (boosters) not the players.

Players can get promised whatever to come to a school, but if they end up being a 2 star in a 5 stars body, their scholarship and NIL deals are gone in a heartbeat. 

Players benefitting is just a consequence of protecting the boosters from having to pay kids who are no longer with the team (for whatever reason) etc.

OK, but a kid like Bryce Young can put his name in the portal and shop around from school to school to get more money. This doesn't protect the school or the boosters. 

Also, there are some pretty good players who don't see a dime, while some of their teammates are making big bucks.

I am not trying to appear as if I have all the answers, but the system seems weird to me.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, but a kid like Bryce Young can put his name in the portal and shop around from school to school to get more money. This doesn't protect the school or the boosters. 

Also, there are some pretty good players who don't see a dime, while some of their teammates are making big bucks.

I am not trying to appear as if I have all the answers, but the system seems weird to me.

Definitely weird, and I'm not 100% in favor of the current system. 

I would rather see an under 24 league that serves as a "minor league" of sorts. Hit 25 and you can't be in it any longer.

Kids that want money can go there, and the kids who actually WANT to be a student-athlete can choose a college and it would actually be about the pageantry of college football again. 

For the record I never see that happening. 

You will always be able to cherry pick a Bryce Young type situation to prove a point, and vice versa with a kid not getting a fair shake. Overall though before the portal and NIL the players were powerless.

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

Definitely weird, and I'm not 100% in favor of the current system. 

I would rather see an under 24 league that serves as a "minor league" of sorts. Hit 25 and you can't be in it any longer.

Kids that want money can go there, and the kids who actually WANT to be a student-athlete can choose a college and it would actually be about the pageantry of college football again. 

For the record I never see that happening. 

You will always be able to cherry pick a Bryce Young type situation to prove a point, and vice versa with a kid not getting a fair shake. Overall though before the portal and NIL the players were powerless.

Can't argue with that.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.