The Portal

Willyville Guy

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

USC?

We're hearing UGA here in Oklahoma. It is ridiculous and I hate OU. Kid is the lock starter for a top 10 program and he's going to shop is $$$$ around thanks to the NIL. 

The end of college football as we know it as started. 

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

We're hearing UGA here in Oklahoma. It is ridiculous and I hate OU. Kid is the lock starter for a top 10 program and he's going to shop is $$$$ around thanks to the NIL. 

Interesting that UGA will get a legit Qb but not sure he will get the best development there…

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Have to wonder if the new age limits in the XFL will be the end of it altogether.   Will allow 18 year olds to play, get paid, get college credits, and still enter the draft when its time. 

Sad in a way, but a lot more steeped in reality than the current sham the NCAA has going.

5 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

But it wasn't an apocalypse when coaches do it? What about when players leave for the draft?

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Don't be mad at the kid, Lincoln Riley sat in his living room at his parents house and told him how he would be there at OU etc. Where's Lincoln? Off to make a bigger check.

The Kid clearly says OU is still an option but this is the only way he can make sure he ends up with a coach that's a fit for him. 

If he's smart offensive fit is way more important than NIL money. But like I said, he was basically lied to by Lincoln so it's hard to fault him for doing what's best for him.

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Don’t follow college too close...what’s the portal?

It's The transfer portal

College players are given a one-time chance to transfer to another school without losing any eligibility.. eligible immediately to play.. in the past they had to sit out a year.. which deterred some players from leaving school

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's The transfer portal

College players are given a one-time chance to transfer to another school without losing any eligibility.. eligible immediately to play.. in the past they had to sit out a year.. which deterred some players from leaving school

With the rule changes, is there anything stopping a school like Alabama or Georgia from calling a kid who had a great season at a lower profile program (or really any other program), and offering him a million dollar NIL deal, immediate playing time, and an opportunity to compete for a championship if he'll transfer for the following season?  Seems like that's where we're headed.

EDIT: Not to single out Alabama or Georgia above - they just happen to be playing for the national championship this year. I'd imagine that Ohio State or USC or Florida or Texas or any number of schools would pursue the same path if that's what the rules and the market provide. 

Edited by Willyville Guy

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

With the rule changes, is there anything stopping a school like Alabama or Georgia from calling a kid who had a great season at a lower profile program (or really any other program), and offering him a million dollar NIL deal, immediate playing time, and an opportunity to compete for a championship if he'll transfer for the following season?  Seems like that's where we're headed.

EDIT: Not to single out Alabama or Georgia above - they just happen to be playing for the national championship this year. I'd imagine that Ohio State or USC or Florida or Texas or any number of schools would pursue the same path if that's what the rules and the market provide. 

No there's nothing that stops them from doing that

And that is the fear from small-time coaches that they fear will happen

The end of college football as we know it.

The NCAA messed this up BIG TIME (not surprising). All they had to do was implement a stipend for scholarship athletes. Instead they took the "easy" way and opened up NIL, which just makes the entire college sports world a "highest bidder" platform.

edit: To be clear, I'm fine with the portal, players/students should be able to transfer however they see fit. I'm fine with paying the players, there is so much money going around because of them anyways. What I hate is the decisions the NCAA made on how players can get paid.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Teams can talk to players AFTER they place themselves in the portal.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Teams can talk to players AFTER they place themselves in the portal.

Ryan Day said at a press conference that he can't be involved in anything related to NIL deals -- can't even mention it.  So, if the rules are that teams can contact potential transfers only after the players place themselves in the portal, and when they do they can't mention NIL deals, then maybe it's not quite the situation I presented above. Although as a practical matter, booster groups that provide NIL deals are likely able to contact potential transfers to go over the money piece.   

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Ryan Day said at a press conference that he can't be involved in anything related to NIL deals -- can't even mention it.  So, if the rules are that teams can contact potential transfers only after the players place themselves in the portal, and when they do they can't mention NIL deals, then maybe it's not quite the situation I presented above. Although as a practical matter, booster groups that provide NIL deals are likely able to contact potential transfers to go over the money piece.   

They were saying this yesterday and today on ESPNU/Sirius.

The portal is yet another thing that Saban warned us about. Of course he adapted, and there is just no way we would have made the playoffs without Williams and To'o To'o.

Now, he is warning about expanding playoffs but he doesn't seem to be protesting too loud.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.