I'm a Dawgs fan but wow there are like 9 players on that D I'd take on Bills...

Hebert19

13 hours ago, DrPJax said:

True story. There was an NFL and celebrity golf tournament here in Ponte vedra fl at the TPC ( Jax suburb and 5 min from my house) back in the late 80’s.  Lightning  came up so they sent vans out to load up players and spectators !  I got in a van with Harbaugh and a pro golfer and was taken back to the TPC club house and pro shop.    Harbaugh would not even speak during The ride and when I said hello, totally ignored me.   Funny tho.  Arnold Palmer and Kelly were also in the tournament. I have been a huge fan of Arnie since I was a kid and of course was a bills / Kelly fan.   
On one hole , Since it was a pretty informal tournament , I actually went under the ropes with a copy of a sports illustrated that had Arnie on the cover !  I walked up to him ( no one came after me etc cuz I was just walking up and told him I was from around Pittsburgh and asked him to sign the sports illustrated magazine !   He stopped walking down the fairway , smiled and signed the cover for me !   Greatest autograph I ever got ! Lol!   

Same tournament I asked Jim to please sign a Bills license plate and he blew me off. At the time tho I was with a pretty hot nurse / girlfriend.   She took the plate and his electric car was right next to the ropes.  SHE PUT THE LICENSE PLATE DOWN ON HIS SEAT OF THE CART WHILE HE WAS HITTING A SHOT.    He came back and literally said , wtf is this , at which time she stepped forward dressed with her very ample rack in a RATHER REVEALING top , and said “ it’s mine , would you mind signing it Jim?”  He smiled and signed the damn thing instantly and handed her the pen / plate back.   Surprisingly he didn’t ask for digits or any more effort to try to know her better !    

It was.a crazy day ; I was a lot younger and was into memorabilia for my Drs office at the time , things I would never do later as I was in my late 20’s at the time.   Will always be grateful for my gf for getting the autograph for me.  Took her to SB 27 with me at the rose bowl. Same girl I posted a story about before that Mean Joe Green of the Steelers came up to her and asked for her autograph on the flight out as he had a copy of Time with a young Hillary Clinton on the cover, and her face was similar to Hillary’s. ( even younger tho and much more endowed much to my great luck!) 

But I won’t forget Harbaugh being Dic- ish by not even speaking , and he continued that way in the clubhouse.   Kelly was walking around the pro shop and if you were the right sex , he was a pretty friendly guy. Lol.  Getting Arnies autograph while he was walking down the fairway tho is still a highlight for me.  Still surprised no one even tried ushering me off the course after I did that. It’s weird , I just thought I would never be that close again and went for it which is not like me as I am normally pretty reserved.  Golf meant a lot to me at that time as I was an ok player and had been captain of my high school golf team and loved the sport from junior high on.  Man ,  I would get tased or shot or arrested if I did something like that during these times.  Haha!  I did a lot of crazy things looking back on life that I would never dream of even considering now !  So any time Harbaugh makes a fool of himself , I remember that day in the van coming off the golf course.  Karma baby!  Lol!    

I don't think having a face that looks like Hillary is something to be proud of.  It could stop a clock

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yep.  College football is in a very bad place right now.  There are 5 or 6 schools that get all the top recruits; the rest are just fighting for scraps and hoping to somehow luck into a big bowl game…the top coaches are nothing but recruiters, which is why NFL teams would be crazy to hire one of them.  The sport has gone downhill very quickly and it has not yet bottomed out, not by a long shot.

Agreed. The prior recruiting success breeds more success too, so it is impossible for these other schools to break into the elite group.

i think the one game changer could be this NIL money now. I think you might see some more clever programs really put together big marketing plans for these recruits, where it will be more financially lucrative for some stud from Georgia to instead go and play in a better “market.”

3 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

totally inaccurate take. Phony ? You obviously have no idea about Kirby Smart. He holds everyone 100% accountable no matter what the score or situation. That's what you do when you are the HC of a top program.

Used car salesmen as a reality? OK right ..... 

Seems that Kirby as the head coach could have called a TO. Poor clock management and if he’s so accountable how come his QB had zero sense of urgency. I have no allegiance to either team but Kirby came across obnoxious. Constantly on the field yelling at refs.. when his team got away with the worst PI I think I’ve ever seen. He was playing intense coach guy and it was embarrassing. 

Having said all that he’s a really good coach. College coaching is about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s not the X’s and O’s! Kirby and Saban have that figured out. The SEC has been running the NIL system for 30 years 😂 

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. The prior recruiting success breeds more success too, so it is impossible for these other schools to break into the elite group.

i think the one game changer could be this NIL money now. I think you might see some more clever programs really put together big marketing plans for these recruits, where it will be more financially lucrative for some stud from Georgia to instead go and play in a better “market.”

There will be outliers…teams like Oregon or Wisconsin or Utah might briefly challenge the top teams if they somehow strike lightning with a great QB, but the national Champ is going to be Alabama, GA, Clemson, LSU or Ohio State year after year…and then there are the bowl game opt outs…

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

“Guys, if you don’t recruit, there’s no coach out there who can out-coach recruiting,” Smart said in his postgame press conference. “I don’t care who you are. The best coach to ever play the game better be a good recruiter because no coaching is going to out-coach players. Anyone will tell you our defense is good because we’ve got good players. Spending time on the phone, spending time with people at your house, spending time with people on your campus, I’m not with my family when I’m doing that. My family sacrifices so that I can go and spend time with other people’s families so that we can have good players. That’s 25% evaluation, 50% recruiting, and the other 25% is coaching. If you don’t recruit, guys, you’ve got no chance.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Georgia-Kirby-Smart-explains-recruiting-will-always-beat-out-coaching-174192418/Amp/

Thanks for the link. Informative? yes ....... revelatory? no

Recruiting is a necessary part of the entire program. No coincidence, either, that the best players WANT to go to the best programs. Georgia is one of those.

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'm a huge dawg fan myself. I'm sure my screen name gives that away lol.

You are correct Smart shouldn't have melted down but that is as much the fault of the OC as anyone. And I was disappointed he didn't take the Gatorade bath.

As far as the initial point of this thread, Bills need DT help in the worst way. No way they can go into next season with Star as the starter.

If they can pick up Davis in the second I would do it

No way Davis lasts to the second round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Seems that Kirby as the head coach could have called a TO. Poor clock management and if he’s so accountable how come his QB had zero sense of urgency. I have no allegiance to either team but Kirby came across obnoxious. Constantly on the field yelling at refs.. when his team got away with the worst PI I think I’ve ever seen. He was playing intense coach guy and it was embarrassing. 

Having said all that he’s a really good coach. College coaching is about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s not the X’s and O’s! Kirby and Saban have that figured out. The SEC has been running the NIL system for 30 years 😂 

You must have missed the Michigan PI only the possession before that. But hey, to each their own.we do agree on a few things: Michigan didn’t belong in the playoffs, neither did Cincinnati. It really is all about the SEC. All these other conferences are subpar and the only reason one of their teams beats a SEC team is because they don’t face the same schedule. 
Kirby is a good coach and a fantastic recruiter. I want to see him beat Saban and get the monkey off his back. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.