Game day experience from someone on crutches.

1ManRaid

I'm sure everyone from the "questions from a guy on crutches" thread were waiting with baited breath and will be relieved to hear I did in fact survive the game. 😄  Multiple people commented that I wouldn't enjoy myself, so I decided to make this thread to detail how it went.

- We got to lot 4 right after 9am, and realized I severely overestimated parking demand for that time in the morning.  Without even mentioning the crutches, we were directed to park right by the sidewalk across from the Bills Store, directly in front of the Thai food truck parked in the middle of the closed street.  It was maybe even a closer walk to the gate than to the outhouses in the parking lot.  Going early definitely seems to help avoid issues with accessibility, even without a handicapped parking tag.  Other lots would be a further walk if you don't park right by an ADA drop off point.

- All of the stadium workers were on point and friendly/helpful, without even having to ask.  The ticket checker somehow intuitively knew my friend (who managed to fall behind in line) was with me and sent me in to sit and wait, prescanning my friend's ticket on my phone.  A guest services worker then offered me a wheelchair ride in, and then walked us all the way to the elevator when I decided I didn't need a wheelchair yet.  The security guy at the portal to the seats offered his hand to help me down the last few steps to the walkway after the game (stayed at my seat the whole game).  As soon as I got to the concourse and stopped for a moment to remember which doors led to the elevator, a worker there spotted me and guided me to the elevators, and was once again offered a wheelchair.  Once outside, a passing cart/shuttle randomly stopped and offered me a ride.  It feels like everyone is trained to spot people in my situation and offer assistance.

- As for the comment from someone in my other thread about having to deal with everyone standing all game, that didn't happen.  Maybe it was just my section (section 312, row 23, seat 1 right on the aisle/50 yard line), but most people stayed seated with some getting up for 3rd/4th downs.  Of course I won't let a bad knee stop me from properly cheering, so I was up then anyways.

- The worst part of the whole experience was actually being in an aisle seat.  Having to constantly move for people leaving/returning to their seats was super annoying.  Considering I eat and drink immediately before and after the game, and go to the washroom before heading to my seat so I can just stay there the whole game, I'm going to aim for seats in the middle of the row next time.  If I ended up wanting something from concessions, I could just have my friend get it when they go.  Handicap seating is also available if you need it.

Hopefully this at least somewhat informs anyone who might avoid going to a game based on assumptions of what the experience would be like.  The entire experience was wholly enjoyable aside from the typical annoyances like local drunks going out of their way to harass and spew obscenities at a Panthers fan, who then decided to respond by defiantly provoking them back.  I'll respond to any questions anyone might have.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm sure everyone from the "questions from a guy on crutches" thread were waiting with baited breath and will be relieved to hear I did in fact survive the game. 😄  Multiple people commented that I wouldn't enjoy myself, so I decided to make this thread to detail how it went.

- We got to lot 4 right after 9am, and realized I severely overestimated parking demand for that time in the morning.  Without even mentioning the crutches, we were directed to park right by the sidewalk across from the Bills Store, directly in front of the Thai food truck parked in the middle of the closed street.  It was maybe even a closer walk to the gate than to the outhouses in the parking lot.  Going early definitely seems to help avoid issues with accessibility, even without a handicapped parking tag.  Other lots would be a further walk if you don't park right by an ADA drop off point.

- All of the stadium workers were on point and friendly/helpful, without even having to ask.  The ticket checker somehow intuitively knew my friend (who managed to fall behind in line) was with me and sent me in to sit and wait, prescanning my friend's ticket on my phone.  A guest services worker then offered me a wheelchair ride in, and then walked us all the way to the elevator when I decided I didn't need a wheelchair yet.  The security guy at the portal to the seats offered his hand to help me down the last few steps to the walkway after the game (stayed at my seat the whole game).  As soon as I got to the concourse and stopped for a moment to remember which doors led to the elevator, a worker there spotted me and guided me to the elevators, and was once again offered a wheelchair.  Once outside, a passing cart/shuttle randomly stopped and offered me a ride.  It feels like everyone is trained to spot people in my situation and offer assistance.

- As for the comment from someone in my other thread about having to deal with everyone standing all game, that didn't happen.  Maybe it was just my section (section 312, row 23, seat 1 right on the aisle/50 yard line), but most people stayed seated with some getting up for 3rd/4th downs.  Of course I won't let a bad knee stop me from properly cheering, so I was up then anyways.

- The worst part of the whole experience was actually being in an aisle seat.  Having to constantly move for people leaving/returning to their seats was super annoying.  Considering I eat and drink immediately before and after the game, and go to the washroom before heading to my seat so I can just stay there the whole game, I'm going to aim for seats in the middle of the row next time.  If I ended up wanting something from concessions, I could just have my friend get it when they go.  Handicap seating is also available if you need it.

Hopefully this at least somewhat informs anyone who might avoid going to a game based on assumptions of what the experience would be like.  The entire experience was wholly enjoyable aside from the typical annoyances like local drunks going out of their way to harass and spew obscenities at a Panthers fan, who then decided to respond by defiantly provoking them back.  I'll respond to any questions anyone might have.

Glad they gave you great service! Football in buffalo is about community and I'm glad they were hospitable

• Like (+1) 4

I see the NFL ticket exchange has Atlanta and NJ game tickets for $20 or less.  Anyways, a sneaky good plan would be to target sections 205, 217, 228 or 239.  Corner endzone, club level views and the sections are only 5 seats wide.  I am like you in that I get to my seat and rarely leave it thereafter for the entire 4+ hours so this is much appreciated by me.  I am glad your gameday experience went well.  I must say that the Pegula era of customer service is much improved over what it was prior.

• Like (+1) 1

This is more of a "general thing, but especially for those with limited mobility", but I should add that bringing a thick "stadium legal" seat cushion makes being stuck sitting through a while game MUCH more bearable.  Also dress warmer than you think you'll need to.  It's easier to take a layer off than to put one on that you didn't bring.  That's how I stayed comfy sitting there for 4 hours.  Getting lucky with our seats happening to have those padded add-ons already helped.

9 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I see the NFL ticket exchange has Atlanta and NJ game tickets for $20 or less.  Anyways, a sneaky good plan would be to target sections 205, 217, 228 or 239.  Corner endzone, club level views and the sections are only 5 seats wide.  I am like you in that I get to my seat and rarely leave it thereafter for the entire 4+ hours so this is much appreciated by me.  I am glad your gameday experience went well.  I must say that the Pegula era of customer service is much improved over what it was prior.

For this game, I saw tickets as cheap as $14 on Ticketmaster even shortly before the game.  I prefer the view from the midfield area of the 300 section, but your sneaky tip might be useful for those less picky about the view than I am.

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

This brought back great/terrible memories of crutching through that loss to the PITT backups back in ... 06? 05?  Most fanatic-like thing ive done.

Now im one of those "ill be in my bunker alone" guys at 1p. Hope you dont lose the fire! Haha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.