Pass protection rankings

BillsMafi$

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I wonder if there is a metric out there that measures how many times your QB has to evade pass rushers. It's like 90% of Josh's drop backs.

I don't think it's that high, and at times when Josh does need to run, it's because he's trying to wait for something to develop.

But it happens a lot and very quickly, too.  Erik Turner made a note of the impact:

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I love how Boettger loses his man and just decides to tackle Dion Dawkins instead.

Um, I don't think that's what happens.  Look again.  The end zone view shows it more clearly.

Dawkins totes loses his guy Big Time and pursues him.  In the process, he unintentionally "picks" Boettger, which allows Boettger's guy to get off the block

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, I don't think that's what happens.  Look again.  The end zone view shows it more clearly.

Dawkins totes loses his guy Big Time and pursues him.  In the process, he unintentionally "picks" Boettger, which allows Boettger's guy to get off the block

You're absolutely right.  Upon zooming in, it's Dawkins who gets burned on that play and his rusher's knee clips Boettger's left leg causing him to bail out and collapse.  It's wild how quickly all of this occurs in real time.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

You're absolutely right.  Upon zooming in, it's Dawkins who gets burned on that play and his rusher's knee clips Boettger's left leg causing him to bail out and collapse.  It's wild how quickly all of this occurs in real time.

Erik Turner makes that point in the video clip I linked:  "where is Josh looking after the snap?"

12 hours ago, MJS said:

A lot of times it's a free rusher. Our oline sometimes doubles one guy and completely ignores another guy. It's a lack of communication on the line or just getting confused by stunts.

There is a large component of what the oline does that is mental. And I think our oline lacks in that department. Not that I think they are dumber than average, but that I think they are unprepared and not well enough schooled in these things. That's why I think it comes back to the oline coach. Obviously I'm guessing, but it makes sense to me.

I think that’s the biggest problem.

if Bobby keeps his job, it could cost McD his

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

A lot of times it's a free rusher. Our oline sometimes doubles one guy and completely ignores another guy. It's a lack of communication on the line or just getting confused by stunts.

There is a large component of what the oline does that is mental. And I think our oline lacks in that department. Not that I think they are dumber than average, but that I think they are unprepared and not well enough schooled in these things. That's why I think it comes back to the oline coach. Obviously I'm guessing, but it makes sense to me.

It’s more lack of physical ability than mental imo. Outside maybe Dawkins and Morse on a good day none of them are complete players due to some combination of lack of size/strength, agility, or technique. And they perform worse as a unit, somehow, than the sum of their mismatched parts. 

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s more lack of physical ability than mental imo. Outside maybe Dawkins and Morse on a good day none of them are complete players due to some combination of lack of size/strength, agility, or technique. And they perform worse as a unit, somehow, than the sum of their mismatched parts. 

I think they perform worse as a unit because of coaching and perhaps scheme. They may be asked to do things they aren't good at.

I saw where we've given up the most pressure in the league. But Josh has only taken 22 sacks. If he was ANYBODY else, the Bills would be ranked near dead last in every protection metric.

This is all about the OL and besides Dawkins (at least of late) and Morse (until recently), we're fielding one of the worst lines in the league at the moment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.