James Webb Space Telescope And The Search For Our Distant Past

Tiberius

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did Columbus defy the laws of physics that have 14 billion years under their belt?  2000 and 60 are roughly the same when compared to 14 billion.

Laws of physics? I have no idea where the idea of defying the laws of physics came in here. I was merely making the point that Columbus had a couple thousand years of tried and true sailing knowledge to draw from when doing his voyage whereas space exploration has virtually none by comparison. 

If you are arguing the defiance of the laws of physics with someone else, have at it, but I have no interest in that subject.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Laws of physics? I have no idea where the idea of defying the laws of physics came in here. I was merely making the point that Columbus had a couple thousand years of tried and true sailing knowledge to draw from when doing his voyage whereas space exploration has virtually none by comparison. 

If you are arguing the defiance of the laws of physics with someone else, have at it, but I have no interest in that subject.

The point I was making is that due to the laws of physics, we will some day be able to draw on 10 million years worth of tried and true space exploration and it will still not be practical to transport a person into interstellar space.

• 4 weeks later...

Webb Confirms Its First Exoplanet

"Researchers confirmed an exoplanet, a planet that orbits another star, using NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope for the first time. Formally classified as LHS 475 b, the planet is almost exactly the same size as our own, clocking in at 99% of Earth’s diameter."

• Like (+1) 2

• 10 months later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2023/11/29/six-new-planets-found-nasa/

Astronomers have discovered a six-pack of planets, formed at least 4 billion years ago and remarkably unchanged since, orbiting a nearby sun-like star. The new planets, described in a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature, could provide a breakthrough in the understanding of how planets form and why there are so many between the sizes of Earth and Neptune, a class known as “sub Neptunes” that is astoundingly common in our galaxy.

These newfound worlds are hot, gassy and unlikely to be pleasant places to visit. Their cozy orbits around the parent star mean they are not in what astrobiologists consider the “habitable zone” of a planetary system. The hunt for Earth 2.0 goes on.

But what makes these planets unusual, in addition to their large number, is that they are locked into a resonance with one another as they orbit the star. One planet, for example, will make precisely three orbits while an adjacent planet makes two.

“These resonant chains are very rare in Nature,” lead author Rafael Luque of the University of Chicago said in a webinar Tuesday with reporters.

This striking reminder that mathematics governs the universe comes with another implication, which is that these six planets have been in a stable, predictable, two-by-three orbital pattern since they were formed at least 4 billion years ago. Most planetary systems, including our own, aren’t like that.

The resonant orbits of these planets are consistent with the idea that this system has been free of any major disturbance — say, a catastrophic impact, or the close passage of another star — for billions of years. In this scenario, the planets formed along with their parent star from a cloud of gas and dust and relatively quickly found their resonant orbits. And then nothing exciting happened to change that.

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 months later...

James Webb Telescope keeps discovering:

It seems our universe is not expanding at a uniform speed.

The speed of expansion depends on where you look.

Previously, the Hubble telescope suggested this, but the difference was thought to be measurement errors.

No longer.

"James Webb telescope confirms there is something seriously wrong with our understanding of the universe"

Previous Expansion Theory Upended

"February 6 in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, suggests that there may be something seriously wrong with our understanding of the universe."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.