Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Oh look you said big guy and that got the monkeys excited!  Almost as excited they get when they regurgitate any story reflecting negatively on Ukraine.  Oh how i envy the simple-minded.  

I don't know what Joe's plan is in terms of getting members to spend more.  I do hope he does something.  Not threatening to not help Nato members if attacked, I'm not an imbecile, but certainly he has economic and diplomatic levers at his disposal.  They'll regret it if there's escalation that's for certain.

So in 2014 3 countries contributed the 2 percent. Now it’s 18 and the rest have plans to get there. So it worked. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Maybe motorcycles are being used because drones are making it impossible to quickly mass troops for an attack oin a traditional manner, so the rush cyclists to a location and send them to their deaths 

Russia is claiming its forces have entered the north-eastern border town of Vovchansk, near Ukraine's second largest city Kharkiv.

Ukraine says there is still heavy fighting taking place there.

Russia has intensified its attacks on the region following Friday's surprise incursions across the border, seizing at least nine villages and settlements in one of the most significant ground attacks since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Thousands of civilians have fled towards Kharkiv, and there are concerns among Ukrainian commanders about what could happen if Russian forces get within artillery range of the city.

Ukraine's army has said that Russia has deployed "significant forces" - up to five battalions - in its latest offensive, acknowledging it had had "tactical success".

But in a statement, the army claimed that Russia had lost more than 100 troops in a day, adding that it was taking steps to repel advancing forces.

Vovchansk, located 74km (45 miles) from Kharkiv, has been heavily bombed in recent days and officials in the surrounding region say Moscow is now targeting settlements with glide bombs.

While it is a significant town in the region, Vovchansk is not of specific military importance, though its capture would be a blow to Ukrainian morale.

Kharkiv regional head Oleh Syniehubov said Russia was deliberately trying to stretch the front line by attacking in small groups in new directions.

He told local television that Ukrainian forces were holding Russian troops back but warned that fighting could spread to new settlements, according to Reuters.

Nearly 6,000 people have been evacuated in the region, he said, adding that 30 settlements had been struck by mortar or artillery shelling.

While it is thought this Russian cross-border incursion is still unlikely to be able to take Kharkiv, their gradual approach on this new, north-eastern front line only increases the anxiety for those living there.

Frustrated Ukrainian troops have told the BBC that Russian soldiers were initially able to just “walk in” to the region because of the lack of defences.

Kostyantyn Tymchenko, who lives in Vovchansk, is among those leaving the town for the relative safety of Kharkiv and said he was shocked by how close the fighting was.

"Half a kilometre away, there is already fighting, automatic weapons," he said.

"On the one side [of the Vovcha River] are [Russians], on the other - ours.

"Tanks are constantly approaching, shooting back and then leaving. I thought it would be okay. I was shocked. I wish I had known in advance."

Away from Kharkiv, two people were killed by shelling in the Russian-controlled city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, the Russian-installed mayor has claimed.

And at least three people were killed by a strike on an industrial zone in Krasnodon, known as Sorokyne in Ukrainian, a Russian-held part of eastern Ukraine, the Moscow-installed local governor said.

Ukraine has not commented on these incidents.

Russia also said it had shot down 31 Ukrainian drones over several regions in annexed-Crimea.

It comes after Russian officials said at least 15 were killed when a section of an apartment block fell in the Russian border city of Belgorod when it was struck by fragments of a Ukrainian missile which had been shot down.

A Ukrainian security source said Ukrainian forces had struck an oil terminal and electrical substation in western Russia.

Kharkiv fighting intensifies as Russia says troops enter Vovchansk (bbc.com)

11 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Russia is claiming its forces have entered the north-eastern border town of Vovchansk, near Ukraine's second largest city Kharkiv.

Ukraine says there is still heavy fighting taking place there.

Russia has intensified its attacks on the region following Friday's surprise incursions across the border, seizing at least nine villages and settlements in one of the most significant ground attacks since its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Thousands of civilians have fled towards Kharkiv, and there are concerns among Ukrainian commanders about what could happen if Russian forces get within artillery range of the city.

Ukraine's army has said that Russia has deployed "significant forces" - up to five battalions - in its latest offensive, acknowledging it had had "tactical success".

But in a statement, the army claimed that Russia had lost more than 100 troops in a day, adding that it was taking steps to repel advancing forces.

Vovchansk, located 74km (45 miles) from Kharkiv, has been heavily bombed in recent days and officials in the surrounding region say Moscow is now targeting settlements with glide bombs.

While it is a significant town in the region, Vovchansk is not of specific military importance, though its capture would be a blow to Ukrainian morale.

Kharkiv regional head Oleh Syniehubov said Russia was deliberately trying to stretch the front line by attacking in small groups in new directions.

He told local television that Ukrainian forces were holding Russian troops back but warned that fighting could spread to new settlements, according to Reuters.

Nearly 6,000 people have been evacuated in the region, he said, adding that 30 settlements had been struck by mortar or artillery shelling.

While it is thought this Russian cross-border incursion is still unlikely to be able to take Kharkiv, their gradual approach on this new, north-eastern front line only increases the anxiety for those living there.

Frustrated Ukrainian troops have told the BBC that Russian soldiers were initially able to just “walk in” to the region because of the lack of defences.

Kostyantyn Tymchenko, who lives in Vovchansk, is among those leaving the town for the relative safety of Kharkiv and said he was shocked by how close the fighting was.

"Half a kilometre away, there is already fighting, automatic weapons," he said.

"On the one side [of the Vovcha River] are [Russians], on the other - ours.

"Tanks are constantly approaching, shooting back and then leaving. I thought it would be okay. I was shocked. I wish I had known in advance."

Away from Kharkiv, two people were killed by shelling in the Russian-controlled city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine, the Russian-installed mayor has claimed.

And at least three people were killed by a strike on an industrial zone in Krasnodon, known as Sorokyne in Ukrainian, a Russian-held part of eastern Ukraine, the Moscow-installed local governor said.

Ukraine has not commented on these incidents.

Russia also said it had shot down 31 Ukrainian drones over several regions in annexed-Crimea.

It comes after Russian officials said at least 15 were killed when a section of an apartment block fell in the Russian border city of Belgorod when it was struck by fragments of a Ukrainian missile which had been shot down.

A Ukrainian security source said Ukrainian forces had struck an oil terminal and electrical substation in western Russia.

Kharkiv fighting intensifies as Russia says troops enter Vovchansk (bbc.com)

I've seen several stories and sources cite US military strategists express frustration with Ukrainian tactics and their hesitancy to take advice on how to establish more effective defensive lines and fortifications. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I continue to stress the problem faced by Ukraine is a lack of troops for combat operations as a result of multiples of dead and wounded greater than the official government numbers report. You can't set up defensive lines and fall-back positions if you barely have enough soldiers to man the front lines. And going on the offensive would be next to impossible. No amount of weapons or money is going to solve the manpower problem. They need more soldiers, plain and simple. 

The cheerleaders can wave their pom-poms all they want but its becoming clear there's a need to negotiate or face defeat. The remaining option would be to directly intervene with US and/or NATO country combat forces. Something that would be immensely unpopular. Its certain the domestic propaganda machine will keep drilling the public with the "domino theory" narrative. My expectation is Washington would demand some European nation(s) sends their soldiers into the meat grinder rather than face the ire of US voters in November.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Expect they all have contingency plans in place to use all those stolen billions for when everything breaks down to flee to a very comfortable lifestyle at expensive villas in Italy and then later will join the speaking tour to advance the cause of "democracy".  Of course our government in Washington knows full-well whats going on and perhaps is getting a cut of the action to look the other way.  But all's good for the cause of "democracy".  Or so the fools believe that's what its all about.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

This will be a bummer to all those rooting for Russia in the desperate hope to be able to say "I told ya so".

Now Putin is saying they aren't even trying to capture Kharkiv.  Why?   Their latest offensive is a giant fail.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ukraine-stabilized-kharkiv-russia-offensive-crimea-drone-attack-power-rcna152717

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This will be a bummer to all those rooting for Russia in the desperate hope to be able to say "I told ya so".

Now Putin is saying they aren't even trying to capture Kharkiv.  Why?   Their latest offensive is a giant fail.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ukraine-stabilized-kharkiv-russia-offensive-crimea-drone-attack-power-rcna152717

Awesome news!!!