Bills vs Pats: “pound for pound” teams analysis

Italian Bills

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

so in other words NE is bad in the red zone   :D

New England does not punt very often.  Their drives are frequently ending in points.  Haack has 5 less punts than Bailey and we have also played one less game.  

Its testament that Mac Jones is doing enough in that offense to sustain long drives and put up points, something I was highly skeptical that he could do.  The past few weeks he has strung together scoring drives where they are going 80 yards for TDs. 

Admittedly, I have watched very little New England this year but the play-by-play reads like death by a million paper cuts.  I fear we will be watching a repeat of the Tennessee game where our D perpetually faces 3rd and 5 and the QB does just enough to get one more first down and racks up YAC when defenses get overly aggressive.  We will need some pressure up the middle.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/28/2021 at 1:47 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think Dline and Secondary are pretty even and down Tre I might even edge towards New England in the secondary. 

I think the Pats Dline is much better than the Bills. 

On 11/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Patriots play a 3-4 base D (3 DL and 4 LB).  Judon’s responsibilities as an OLB in that 3-4 are more analogous to a DE in a 4-3.

Judon is a great player.  I coveted him in FA.

How do the Bills contain him and slow him down? 

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

New England does not punt very often.  Their drives are frequently ending in points.  Haack has 5 less punts than Bailey and we have also played one less game.  

Its testament that Mac Jones is doing enough in that offense to sustain long drives and put up points, something I was highly skeptical that he could do.  The past few weeks he has strung together scoring drives where they are going 80 yards for TDs. 

Admittedly, I have watched very little New England this year but the play-by-play reads like death by a million paper cuts.  I fear we will be watching a repeat of the Tennessee game where our D perpetually faces 3rd and 5 and the QB does just enough to get one more first down and racks up YAC when defenses get overly aggressive.  We will need some pressure up the middle.  

I'm thinking the same thing. Right now, the Patriot offense is playing very well. Their balance of run to pass is excellent and Jones is very efficient and accurate with his short throws. Their offense poses a difficult challenge for the Bills.

As for the Bills offense, I believe they have to have a slightly different game plan. Keep the Pats off balance and limit their pass rush. If they fail to try to run or can't run the Pats will T off on Allen. Run some screens and quick slants, roll out Allen, use Brieda in the open field, and find Knox early and often. I think Diggs will be doubled and taken out of the game. Allen has to take care of the ball and not force things. Also, lets see how Allen starts off the game. A few games he's been really bad. 

Matthew Judon is a handful plus!  This will come down to mistakes.  The Bills make them regularly and the Pats do not!  They need to clean up penalties and turnovers.  Penalties have been a problem for the last several years as have fumbles.  Josh needs to protect the ball when running and throwing.  He has has several games with uncharacteristic interceptions.  If they make mistakes, the Pats will eat them alive.  If they don't they should pull it out. 

On 11/30/2021 at 12:49 AM, In Summary said:

As a Raven, we saw Judon give Allen hell.

He pretty much did during the 2019 game when we had brilliant ideas such as having rookie Dawson Knox block him 1:1, leading to a strip sack

Or possibly, that was lack of brilliant ideas on how to adjust the blocking for wherever Judon went

He did get a sack and a hit on Allen during the playoff game last season, but I dont remember him being a (relatively speaking) a factor

On the other hand, he's having the best season in his career this year, so hopefully the Bills are paying attention and have a plan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.