DL Rotation Is Costing Us

BuffaloBillyG

DL rotation itself isn't a problem. I think not having a consistent blue chip player there is really hurting us. It's really an overall issue with the defense in general since McBeane took over. Lack of difference makers on defense. They have great depth and overall talent and play really well as a unit but they lack the top end talent to really dominate. They can abuse below average offenses. We've seen it now for a while to be able to call it a pattern.

Having a good DL rotation behind a stud (or 2) is probably the ideal situation for how we want to play defense AND i think that player most effectively would come from an interior DL position.

I think obviously the Bills are missing that player. Ed Oliver has played well IMO but he hasn't been at that All-Pro level that i think you really need.

In regards to Addison and Hughes, i think you are seeing a little bit of age creeping in. I doubt either of those guys is here next year. Yeah, they are paid well but NFL salaries are based on past performance for the most part and going into the year both of those guys weren't grossly overpaid.

Long story short: is not the rotation; its the lack of high end talent.

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills D is 26th in sacks per game, but first in turnovers forced per game. Go figure!

I agree with you about the competition skew but there are some games coming up that will show us how good they really are. Let's wait and see. Yesterday was terrible, but all teams have those games now and then.

What is there to wait and see about? The problem of investing too much into part time players is not a new issue this week or even this year. Yesterday was a punctuation mark, for sure. But Again...It challenge anyone to find a game where the fresh legged defensive line has taken over a game in McDermott's tenure here it the end on a game. 

The philosophy, while on paper has merit. In actual applience is actually a big reason why we have money for the Bobby Harts and Brian Winters of the NFL but not for a quality starter. It's a huge issue that doesn't pay proper divided.

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

What is there to wait and see about? The problem of investing too much into part time players is not a new issue this week or even this year. Yesterday was a punctuation mark, for sure. But Again...It challenge anyone to find a game where the fresh legged defensive line has taken over a game in McDermott's tenure here it the end on a game. 

The philosophy, while on paper has merit. In actual applience is actually a big reason why we have money for the Bobby Harts and Brian Winters of the NFL but not for a quality starter. It's a huge issue that doesn't pay proper divided.

I mean, the numbers are the numbers. They lead the league in almost every defensive category. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hate both the D line and the RB rotation. On the surface it’s a solid idea. Unfortunately all you are doing it putting worse players on the field more often. Just leave the good guys in the game for Christ sakes. I don’t need backup level players with fresh legs effecting the game.

I think there's a huge factor of "getting rolling" as an RB, none of our rbs ever get rolling cuz they run twice and rotate out. These guys are world class competitors they want to be fed, especially rbs. I think if you told Singletary he's bell cow for the day he would get into the zone and you would see some success, telling and rb you only get 5 carries today make the most of it, if you suck on one of those carries we put the other guy in doesn't inspire your rbs. Personally I think it needs to be Singletary rb1 with brieda spelling with some swings and screens.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I mean, the numbers are the numbers. They lead the league in almost every defensive category. 

Numbers. Cool. Almost 35% of the team's cap is spent on 10 players (only 4 play at a time) along the DL. You cannot field a competitive team that will march deep into the playoffs routinely with paying that much with such little production. 

I don't give a fart what the "numbers" say until the Jets, Dolphins and Texans are the quality of teams we meet in the playoffs.  Regular season numbers are trash. 

If you are satisfied beating the bottom barrel teams and stuffing the stat sheet against them, cool beans. However this is totally ignoring that any team with the slightest HINT of a power running game (like the Titans, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Colts...you know...teams we would actually see come playoff time.) will routinely pound this team. All while spending big bucks on players that are really nothing special and ignoring and undervaluing things like offensive linemen. Quality running backs. Depth. A flipping punter that can kick the ball away in less than 19 seconds. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

DL rotation itself isn't a problem. I think not having a consistent blue chip player there is really hurting us. It's really an overall issue with the defense in general since McBeane took over. Lack of difference makers on defense. They have great depth and overall talent and play really well as a unit but they lack the top end talent to really dominate. They can abuse below average offenses. We've seen it now for a while to be able to call it a pattern.

Having a good DL rotation behind a stud (or 2) is probably the ideal situation for how we want to play defense AND i think that player most effectively would come from an interior DL position.

I think obviously the Bills are missing that player. Ed Oliver has played well IMO but he hasn't been at that All-Pro level that i think you really need.

In regards to Addison and Hughes, i think you are seeing a little bit of age creeping in. I doubt either of those guys is here next year. Yeah, they are paid well but NFL salaries are based on past performance for the most part and going into the year both of those guys weren't grossly overpaid.

Long story short: is not the rotation; its the lack of high end talent.

It’s possible the rotation is slowing down the development process of these players we drafted high. 4 guys drafted in the top 2 rounds the past 3 years, Ed was the first guy drafted and is finally starting to make an impact in his third year. 

Bashem and Epenesa are hardly on the field. Our depth is great because the product above them is below average 

Edited by BananaB

Right now, somewhere there is a 330+ pound guy jamming carbs down his gullet and smashing stuff in preparation for being out new DT next season.

first thing he'll be asked to do?

SLIM DOWN. Beane's favorite line! 

Overall, I like Beane, but he needs to drop this desire to have undersized linemen who get mauled 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.