Do YOU believe in "God?"

Do YOU believe in "God?"  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU believe in "God?"

• Yes, I do blieve in God/higher power
    • No, I do not believe in God/higher power
    • Really undecided

I agree. Must people need to feel like they are working toward something. Therefore religion offers this "need" to a lot of people.

329213[/snapback]

Some people like despair and meaninglessness, some people like to think they are smarter than others, hence atheism. We can throw arbitrary psychological pejorative carps back and forth all day long and have a gay old time.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bible makes it clear that no one is good, but God.

329285[/snapback]

But the Bible also makes it clear that everyone is worth a damn and we should do what we can to make this world we are in now a better place.

I guess that's why there are all those religious fanactics who protest abortion, the death penalty and assisted suicide...

329274[/snapback]

Which religious fanatics are you talking about, the ones protesting in favor of capital punishment or those protesting against it? The ones who won't let their children have life saving medical treatment such as transfusions? The ones who fly planes into buildings? The ones who strap bombs on their backs and jump into school buses? The god-fearing folks at God Hates Fags.com? The ones drinking cyanide laced cool-aid? The ones molesting choir boys? So many religions, so many fanatics, it is so hard to keep them all straight. Its okay though, its all good. After all, they are all going to heaven for doing God's will. Just ask them, they are sure of it.

Some people like despair and meaninglessness, some people like to think they are smarter than others, hence atheism. We can throw arbitrary psychological pejorative carps back and forth all day long and have a gay old time.

329283[/snapback]

How about working toward self actualization? Hey Carp, are you implying that without religion my life is meaningless and full of despair? I do not feel this way. I'm perfectly fine with hedonism. I'm working toward my goals and pursuing happiness. I read the classics.I travel and see the world. :lol: Why must I read the bible to have a meaningful life?

How about working toward self actualization? Hey Carp, are you implying that without religion my life is meaningless and full of despair? I do not feel this way. I'm perfectly fine with hedonism. I'm working toward my goals and pursuing happiness. I read the classics.I travel and see the world. 0:)  Why must I read the bible to have a meaningful life?

329633[/snapback]

Hmm... when I did say you had to read the Bible? Instead of assuming someone is saying something, you should actually learn how to read what someone else says. Of course, you have already said you are an expert at being self-indulgent.

If we have a gay old time would not that mean we will all go to hell?

329623[/snapback]

Oh, this is a good trick. Assume that if someone defends a religious person, they must be some sort of hateful person who claims that homosexuals are doomed to damnation. You know, you don't really have to write these posts, I can write them for you. Stop being so predictable.

Guest BackInDaDay
The Bible makes it clear that no one is good, but God.

329285[/snapback]

Pardon my atheism, but I'd like to set the bar a little higher.

Which religious fanatics are you talking about, the ones protesting in favor of capital punishment or those protesting against it?  The ones who won't let their children have life saving medical treatment such as transfusions?  The ones who fly planes into buildings?  The ones who strap bombs on their backs and jump into school buses?  The god-fearing folks at God Hates Fags.com? The ones drinking cyanide laced cool-aid?  The ones molesting choir boys?  So many religions, so many fanatics, it is so hard to keep them all straight.  Its okay though, its all good.  After all, they are all going to heaven for doing God's will.  Just ask them, they are sure of it.

329578[/snapback]

Hey, keep building the straw men and try to avoid actually addressing the faultiness of your arguments. You claimed that if people didn't believe in God or heaven, they would be less likely to commit suicide in any form. Basically, that the religious do not value life because there's a potential after-life or something like that. Obviously, you do not believe this yourself, since you just provided a laundry list of stereotypes that show that result probably would be mixed.

Yes, perhaps religion motivates people to sacrifice their life for good or ill, atheists are more likely to hold more dearly to their life and less likely to give it up for the good of others. Whoop de doo. Oh, I cannot make generalizations about atheists? Sorry, I forgot that it is fair to generalize about the religious who are more diverse and larger in number. Sorry, my mistake.

Well, while the religious might be experts at becoming martyrs and terrorists, at least the atheists are good at the whole mass murder thing. Huh? You say.

Whoops!:

Mao Zedong: Over 40 Million Chinese murdered

Josef Stalin: Over 20 Million Murdered

Pol Pot: Million+

Keep flaming, I'll flame back. Unlike religious types, I am not restrained by politeness or decency.

Thats your opinon. I have been on both sides of the fence and let me tell you there is less fear in the world when you believe in Christ. I was never afraid when I didnt believe but I did things my own way instead of trusting Jesus. The things that he has done in my life are amazing.

Jesus didnt come to this earth to lie to us. He came to save us. Jesus did infact roam this earth. It is fact. So to say there is no god than your calling Jesus a liar. He was not a liar and I pray for all of you that somebody you will be saved because as another poster posted. Its better to believe and live with God and die and find out that everything you practiced was the truth than to die an unbeliever and find out that there is a god and then have to deal with his wrath.

329234[/snapback]

David Koresh also claimed he was "the son of God", no? How about all of the other schizo's who walk around claiming they are the son of God?

Not that I'm calling Jesus a schizo, but did you ever think of the possibility that maybe Jesus wasn't all there?

Mental illness isn't just a 20th century creation.

Let the flaming begin. 0:)

David Koresh also claimed he was "the son of God", no? How about all of the other schizo's who walk around claiming they are the son of God?

Not that I'm calling Jesus a schizo, but did you ever think of the possibility that maybe Jesus wasn't all there?

Let the flaming begin.  0:)

329852[/snapback]

I am just wondering what happens if/when JC does come back... Anyone gonna believe him with all the nutcases out there?

Which religious fanatics are you talking about, the ones protesting in favor of capital punishment or those protesting against it?  The ones who won't let their children have life saving medical treatment such as transfusions?  The ones who fly planes into buildings?  The ones who strap bombs on their backs and jump into school buses?  The god-fearing folks at God Hates Fags.com? The ones drinking cyanide laced cool-aid?  The ones molesting choir boys?  So many religions, so many fanatics, it is so hard to keep them all straight.  Its okay though, its all good.  After all, they are all going to heaven for doing God's will.  Just ask them, they are sure of it.

329578[/snapback]

Interesting commentary. All of us will have a surprize coming on judgement day. I am sure that no one really knows what the truth is. We all take our best guess.

I am just wondering what happens if/when JC does come back... Anyone gonna believe him with all the nutcases out there?

329861[/snapback]

When Jesus Christ returns, yes everyone will believe, only because of the manner in which he returns. However, most will still try to pretend that it's not happening.

For those who believe that religion was an invention by man to gain control over an emerging society, they are simply foolish. In their worldview they would rather believe that the entire universe began when two items of nothing collided to create matter. It is extremely difficult for them to let go of their preoccupation that man and "nature" are in control, instead of a Supreme being (God).

To the man who says there were always particles of matter, I say who put them there.

Let the flaming begin.  0:)

329852[/snapback]

That really is the question: Was Jesus a lunatic, liar, or is He really Lord? Josh McDowell asks that question. He was a scholarly, academic atheist who set out to disprove the incarnation (God becoming flesh) of Jesus. Now he is one of the top speakers / authors defending the Christian faith. His book, More Than a Carpenter is an excellent short book exploring these questions. For a more academic approach, try Evidence That Demands a Verdict. He can articulate the Christian position much better than anyone who frequents a sports message board. If you are open to hearing the Christian position, from an expert, give this a read.