The reemergence of Gabriel Davis??

Special K

After a little thought, I seem to remember Gabe tweaking his ankle in a game earlier this season? I’m thinking that’s why he’s seen limited action? They want him healed up and right for the rest of the season,  that and we have Sweeney at TE, and from what I understand he can block, on top of having good hands, catching a TD pass in his last outing. We still have a ton of viable pass catching options available. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

It's gonna be Sweeney and possibly Kumerow splitting time at the TE slot, not going to 4WR sets.  Davis being unable to beat out 34 year old Sanders (who apparently found the fountain of youth) for WR2 and thus tons of reps is on him.  Davis has proven that he's a quality WR but he hasn't proven that he's "WR2 on a super bowl contender" level good.

20 hours ago, Special K said:

I was assuming that we are all knowledgeable enough about the Bills to understand that the switch from Knox to Davis would mean a switch from 3 WR to 4 WR formations to not need to mention it.

I don't think that's the point that was trying to be made. 

Josh and the coaches have several times called out "blocking" as one of the biggest improvements Knox has made.  Josh gave him props as "in my opinion, one of the best blocking TE in the league". 

The Bills are using about 15% 4 and 5 WR sets this season, and part of the reason for that is increasing use of Knox in the passing game (part of that is increased run game snaps)

Overall, Knox is seeing the field on about 20% more snaps - from almost 60% of the snaps, to almost 80% of the snaps.  Using him as a WR and downfield blocker (for which Gabe Davis or Kumerow could substitute) is only part of that increase.  Using him as an inline blocker or a blocker in the backfield since we've moved on from Lee Smith (for which Davis or Kumerow can't substitute) is also part of it.

We aren't going to see Davis fill in for that.  We'll see some combination of Sweeney, Gilliam, or an extra OLman (Bates or Boettger)

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he only played 1 snap vs KC. The one where Josh tried to throw him the ball on 3rd down.

1 offensive snap vs Tenn, 7 vs KC.  More vs. Hou and WFT but I think that was 4Q "play the backups"

I specify offensive snaps because I know you don't do this, but others confuse "not playing on offense" with "not playing".  Kumerow plays on ST - a lot.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't seen him as an in-line blocker either

It's not his thing, though I have seen him flush a good DL completely out of a run play on film - not as an inline blocker though, which makes a difference.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Well, by in-line I mean lined up with the line as/with/near the TE position, and the slot (I was not saying he is one of the five o-lineman). Maybe I am seeing things in my head, but I think I have seen that a few times. Forgive me if I am wrong--nothing I'm gonna battle over.

I knew what you meant, but I don't believe I've seen him there.  I could be wrong.  Nothing to forgive, it's just if you could point to a game/series/article about it I'd go look, because I have a soft spot for the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1 offensive snap vs Tenn, 7 vs KC.  More vs. Hou and WFT but I think that was 4Q "play the backups"

I specify offensive snaps because I know you don't do this, but others confuse "not playing on offense" with "not playing".  Kumerow plays on ST - a lot.

It's not his thing, though I have seen him flush a good DL completely out of a run play on film - not as an inline blocker though, which makes a difference.

I knew what you meant, but I don't believe I've seen him there.  I could be wrong.  Nothing to forgive, it's just if you could point to a game/series/article about it I'd go look, because I have a soft spot for the guy.

Sorry I meant TEN. Getting my prime time games mixed up! The only play was the one where Josh tried to throw to him on the sideline on 3rd down.

On teams he started opposite Taiwan as gunner. Was Siran nicked up?

Edited by GunnerBill

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sorry I meant TEN. Getting my prime time games mixed up! The only play was the one where Josh tried to throw to him on the sideline on 3rd down.

On teams he started opposite Taiwan as gunner. Was Siran nicked up?

Good question.  He was listed on the Injury report on Friday as DNP with "Illness", but practiced in full on Sat.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that's the point that was trying to be made. 

Josh and the coaches have several times called out "blocking" as one of the biggest improvements Knox has made.  Josh gave him props as "in my opinion, one of the best blocking TE in the league". 

The Bills are using about 15% 4 and 5 WR sets this season, and part of the reason for that is increasing use of Knox in the passing game (part of that is increased run game snaps)

Overall, Knox is seeing the field on about 20% more snaps - from almost 60% of the snaps, to almost 80% of the snaps.  Using him as a WR and downfield blocker (for which Gabe Davis or Kumerow could substitute) is only part of that increase.  Using him as an inline blocker or a blocker in the backfield since we've moved on from Lee Smith (for which Davis or Kumerow can't substitute) is also part of it.

We aren't going to see Davis fill in for that.  We'll see some combination of Sweeney, Gilliam, or an extra OLman (Bates or Boettger)

I guess this topic can be broken down into two questions:

1.  Who replaces Knox?

2. Who replaces Knox’s production?

Sweeney may be the answer to question one, but IMO, Davis has the best opportunity to be the answer to question two.

We will see how it shakes out in the coming weeks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With the WR room as full as it is with the caliber of talent in there someone had to suffer .

To this point Knox is showing up so there will be more throws going to him enter Sanders although another good addition Josh is trying to develop chemistry with him which is once again less throws going to Diggs, Bease, & Davis .

John Brown was out last year so his targets & field time went to some one else but this year they added Sanders and Josh has one more mouth to feed and he has to take away from one to feed the other .

Ya'll can poo poo it all you want but there has been a couple of posts to this point you add more talent to all that talent & some one is going to lose out but like today when Josh goes to Bease the chemistry is there Davis the same Diggs the same Sanders still in the development stage so its gonna take time & targets away from the others .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.