A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

3 hours ago, Mango said:

For reference, Daniel Jones had an 80 yard carry last year. Nobody would consider him to have good top end speed. 

I sure didn't. But I saw some of the game against WFT and he was pretty damn good running. The classic "deceptive speed". Not a sprinter by any means, but not as slow as he looks.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

1-1 with two very winnable games coming up.  It's a great position to be in and hopefully the offense can find their rhythm during those games.  If they do, and the defense continues to perform like this, the NFL is will officially be on notice. 

Go Bills!!!

Nice write up, thanks again for your effort.

My golf bag inventory was 2 woods, a few irons, a putter, a couple dozen balls (I was guaranteed to lose at least dozen) and lots of room for ice and  beer. (I was never a good golfer but I had fun drinking)😊

1and 2.

The entire d line played very well. Star commanded double teams every time he was in.(one play he had 3 guys trying to block him) EJ is quick, and this year seams to be more purposeful in his path to the QB. Groot was the benificiary of that havoc produced, and was good staying with the rush and finishing for his sacks. I think the change from the gameplan from game 1 to 2 has more to do with the QB they were playing. Ben gets the ball out quick and still has the ability to get the ball down field, when opposing D's pressure from the secondary. I don't think that Tua has that skill set yet(if ever), so it was worth it for the Bills to gamble, and bring blitzes from the corners and safeties, which loosened things up for the D line to excel. Plus the DB's and LB's who were not coming did a good job covering the short routes, and we're also good in run support, taking the quick hitters away.

The pass pro still leaves a lot to be desired, and yeah it appeared that they were tempering that be leaving a TE or RB in for extra protection. Williams still looked slow, and even whiffed a couple of times on his blocks, he needs to step things up going forward.

Motor isn't any speed burner, but he looked good on his run TD. He does seem to hit the holes quicker this year. Moss is a bull for a smallish type guy, I love how he stays on his feet and competes for those extra yards. I thought on the one TD run he was stopped but he kept on moving, and was able to push forward for the score.

I guess we shouldn't complain when the O scores 35 points, but there is something not quite right here. Give the Fins secondary some props,  because, they did play well.

The only problem I see on ST is the punt blocking (by our Oline, not the opposing team blocking our punts) and the Haack not getting his punts off quicker. Jones is awesome, glad they kept him around at cut time.

The Bills have been exceptional on 4th down D for couple of years now, the fins OC was foolish (or desperate) to go for it on at least 2 of their tries.

9 and 10

The defense as a whole has been solid in both games so far. Milano is all over the place making plays. Edmonds is maligned for not making big plays, but he takes away the middle passing lanes freeing others for that. Tre, Johnson, and the other DB's have done a good job in coverage and their blitzing assignments, which made the difference in this game harassing the QB.

Don't discount the WFT, they can play defense. Let's hope Daboll and Josh figure out their malaise on the O before Sunday.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:24 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Good point, if true, then their 1st down runs didn't seem to be very effective at surprising the D

I'm as happy as the next guy that Motor is averaging 6.4 years per carry.  But this isn't nearly as impressive as Juice averaging 6.0 ypc back in 1973 when defenses expected the run and were built to stop the run.  

I'd like to see our RBs combine for 200 yards when our passing attack falters.  I'd like to see our RBs reliably deliver a 1st down on 3rd or 4th and short.  Or  4 or 5 yards on 1st and 10.  

But I'm not whining.  The O scored 5 TDs in Miami.  It was a beautiful day.  

On 9/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, GunnerBill said:

Hahaha. The other thing I see a bit in Josh's mechanics is his delivery being a bit slingy - the INT (which you link Kubiak's comments to above), the throw just before the INT where he misses Diggs up the left sideline and the 2nd down play on the previous stalled drive where he bails a pocket he could step up into and then sails one over Beasley's head. 

I think he is just playing a bit frantic. His feet are not moving and setting as comfortably as last year, his delivery which he did so much work with Jordan Palmer on before last season has been a bit slingy in places.... fundamentally I think the protection issues have rattled him a bit. The conversation Sean, Brian and Ken should be having with him is "Josh, trust your protection. If they screw up and you can't escape in time we will get on their ass." Because at the moment the overall conclusion for me is that Josh at times is expecting the protection to fail and as such he is in almost panic mode on plays when he doesn't need to be. Forget what the guys up front are doing. Focus on what you are doing. In McDermott speak do your 1/11th rather than starting the play already thinking you have to overcome the line breakdowns. 

I don't think he has forgotten to read defenses or lost the ability to throw accurately. Just think he needs to settle down. I tend to agree with @HappyDays. One week soon will come out throwing, get into his rhythm nice and early and it will all click. No reason to panic at all IMO. 

I will say other than the fact I thought we ran too much on 1st down I didn't see an issue with the offensive gameplan or playcalling.  

that will happen.  Soon.  But one week doesn’t matter.  Consistency is what we need.  He need to string 3-4 games on o get her in the playoffs.  He can get away with playing a 1 or 2 sub par games in the playoffs…but I think we’ll need to see some God Allen in other games if we want a Lombardi.  He’s certainly doesn’t look like a God so far this season.