Alpha's Good, the bad, and the ugly week 1...

Alphadawg7

7 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Allen obviously didn't have a good game, but I'm not seeing him as being anything close to the problem on Sunday.  The Steelers were getting consistent pressure, often right up the middle, with just 3-4 rushers and they did a good job of keeping him in the pocket instead of rolling out where he could improvise.  There is no quarterback in the NFL who would look good under those conditions, including Mahomes in the super bowl last year.  Combine that with some questionable (at best) playcalling, and here we are. 

I agree, but I think there's also a point that sometimes there were short throws available and Allen passed them up in favor of the deeper plays.  I think that's going to be an issue because the league has the memo that Allen hates to take the checkdown.  So they smother the other guys and leave the checkdown or hot read enough green around them to plant a Christmas tree farm, and that's how it's going to be until Allen wraps his mind around the need to make them pay for it.

7 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I really think the issues on offense this weekend were about 90% on the offensive line and about 10% on Daboll.  The reason why I place so little weight on Daboll is because we still would have won the game probably by multiple scores if our linemen had just been able to keep the Steelers' DL under control.  Good blocking covers up all sorts of shaky play calls.

OK, but the thing is, if the OL isn't getting 'er done, how about bringing in a TE and and RB (or 2 TE, or an extra OLman) to help block, instead of running 4 and 5 WR sets almost half the game (and leaving Singletary out wide a lot)?

The play calling plays a role.

• Like (+1) 1

The Ugly:

Jon Feliciano. My word. It was even worse on the all22. I think he needs to put some weight back on. That is one of the worst guard displays I have ever seen. I have some notes at home that I will write up when I get chance. 

The good:

He struggled early but the second half was promising for Cody Ford. If you are looking for a positive to take then Cody Ford playing better than his pre-season outings was one. 

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is a good point, I actually didn't see that kind of detail on that play.  Our seats were closer to the other side of the field, so it looked more to me it was a mistake in the protection up front, didn't notice the 3 steps.  

He shuffles two, then steps two, then kicks. Just counting you get halfway through counting out the number 3 between him catching it and kicking it. He is a problem.

14 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

He did that every punt if I'm not mistaken. Looks very slow getting his kicks away. I recall when watching the game and his very first time coming out to punt I said to my wife," he's getting that kick away too slow, probably see a blocked punt at some point in this game".

I get the blocking wasn't good and all, but the way he's getting those kicks off it's likely going to be more blocked punts to come.

I called it the first pre-season game. It will not be the last punt we have blocked if he is our punter all year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I really think the issues on offense this weekend were about 90% on the offensive line and about 10% on Daboll.  The reason why I place so little weight on Daboll is because we still would have won the game probably by multiple scores if our linemen had just been able to keep the Steelers' DL under control.  Good blocking covers up all sorts of shaky play calls.

I watched the all22 last night.... if I am assigning blame for the offense it's 60% offensive line. 20% Daboll. 20% Allen. The line was definitely the biggest problem. The left side was wretched. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the city

I honestly was thinking about your trip and how disappointed you must have been because bills lost

I was really hoping you had a great time in the city and that it embraced you

@Alphadawg7

I loved the city and people, and so did my fiancé whose a Niners fan but now has a soft spot for the Bills, Buffalo, and Bills Mafia.  First thing she said to me was wow, we need to make this a family tradition to come opening day every year and bring our future kids too

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Ugly:

Jon Feliciano. My word. It was even worse on the all22. I think he needs to put some weight back on. That is one of the worst guard displays I have ever seen. I have some notes at home that I will write up when I get chance. 

Yeah.   It was bad.   Looked like a human trying to stop a 1/4 mile funny car by standing in front of the car and putting his hands on the hood.  Nah Gah Doot.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I called it the first pre-season game. It will not be the last punt we have blocked if he is our punter all year. 

You just know that opponents are going to repeatedly punt rush the Bills now.   Not looking forward to that.