Anyone got any football news

stevewin

Talked quick to my Dad this AM - he went last night and passed on a few interesting items.

- since March they've regularly had about 50 players voluntarily working out. The coaches also have been working individually with many of them. They are impressed by the number and the commitment of the players.

- OC Clements (or MM) actually said they will have some designed running plays for JP (just making sure they teach him to slide)

- more on how JP is there every day watching tape and learning - and working w/ Wyche. Clements also made a comment about how Losman looks better now than he did last year (assume throwing?)

- MM talked about the "one play" phenomenon last year when so many games were decided by one play. Said they are stressing this year to every player to play every down like that could be the "one play" to decide the outcome.

I'm sure Lori will do a detailed report.

I remember the conversation that TD said about the substance abuse or enhancement drugs. He feels that it is too light.

Would rather see first time 4 game NO PAY then I think he said second time either a year with no pay or out. I didn't write anything down. Sorry :P:w00t:

- OC Clements (or MM) actually said they will have some designed running plays for JP (just making sure they teach him to slide)

He said that gives them 11 players on offense, instead of just using a guy to give the ball away to someone else. He also said it will force defenses not to cheat on their lanes AND he joked that they were teaching JP how to slide. He commented that the Bills had 10 players to beat the 10 defenders closest to JP, so JP only had to beat one guy. :P

- MM talked about the "one play" phenomenon last year when so many games were decided by one play.  Said they are stressing this year to every player to play every down like that could be the "one play" to decide the outcome.

He basically said that he is stressing that every play might not only decide the game, but after the close losses at the beginning of last year, every play might decide the SEASON.

He seemed really embarassed about the Steelers game and anxious to get back in the ring.

As Cindy said, Lori took the notes, so I will wait for her report too.

He said that gives them 11 players on offense, instead of just using a guy to give the ball away to someone else.

Ouch, a little rough on Drew with that comment. Oh well, it is accurate as hell.

Ouch, a little rough on Drew with that comment. Oh well, it is accurate as hell.

322322[/snapback]

Yeah, it was a dig, but Buffalo has been one dimensional at QB for such a long time. :lol:

Hell, even Jim Kelly went out and caught a pass once. :angry:

I'm sure Lori will do a detailed report.

I remember the conversation that TD said about the substance abuse or enhancement drugs.  He feels that it is too light. 

Would rather see first time 4 game NO PAY then I think he said second time either a year with no pay or out.  I didn't write anything down.  Sorry :devil:  :angry:

322185[/snapback]

Sorry for the delay, gang - as those of you I talked to Wednesday night know, a late change in work schedule meant I ended up shoehorning the trip to Buffalo into the middle of a week's worth of 12-8 shifts. I'm just now starting to recover. Anyway...

Lou Piccone was the first speaker, before he had to leave for another engagement. He's the new president of the Bills Alumni, and wanted to let us know that this year's Alumni Weekend will celebrate the 1990 Super Bowl team. I'm assuming it will once again take place the weekend of the home opener. Expect to hear more about this, as details become available...

As previously mentioned, Van Miller made a special appearance (mainly to throw in a couple of one-liners at John Murphy's expense, I think.) More laughter when, after a glowing intro from Murphy, Tom Donahoe took the microphone and asked Murph "could you please send that introduction to the Buffalo News and WGR?"

TD spoke mostly about the pre-draft process. When evaluating players, the entire coaching staff, scouting dept., and player personnel people get together and assign a "Bills" grade to each player on their board. He stressed that the Bills' criteria may be different than another team's, and certainly different than the various draft guides and such that are available. He ended by saying, "Regardless of what Mel Kiper, or Ourlad's, or some guy in some newspaper says, I'm going to go with my scouts."

Coach Mularkey was next to speak. I see you've already discussed some of his remarks, so I'll be brief - he said everyone was frustrated with the result of the Pittsburgh game and couldn't wait to get going again. Rockpile pretty much nailed the "You've got to play every play like it's going to be the difference in your season" quote.

One other item of interest from MM; when they were sitting at 0-4, he told the team, "Men, we're going to stick to the plan.... because there is no plan B."

The first question from the audience concerned NFL Europe. The Bills are getting an in-depth report on each of their allocated players from that player's head coach, and they're constantly scouting the league overall to see if there's anyone else they might be interested in bringing in when the NFLE season ends (either unallocated players, or guys who might be released by the teams who own their rights.)

OC Tom Clements was asked if his experience as a pro QB helped when tutoring J.P.; he thought it did, and said Wyche would agree. He complimented Losman for being here so early and working hard every day, and said, "Drew did some good things for us last year, but we feel J.P. can give us an additional spark."

Bobby April was asked about the addition of Roscoe Parrish to an already-stacked PR position. He said all three players (Clements, JSmith, Parrish) have proven they can 'take it to the house', and said the eventual winner of the PR job will be the player who makes the best decisions - picking the right hole, protecting the ball, etc.

In regard to the length of Rian Lindell's kickoffs, he thinks RL does need to kick off better. He added that the wind played a huge role in the home games, and that some of those short kicks - including the one Erik Flowers fumbled and Jason Peters recovered in the Rams game - were planned plays.

Asked about possibly bringing in more help for the O-line, Mularkey said, "There is no position than we're not looking to upgrade." He then reaffirmed the current depth chart has Gandy - Anderson - Teague - Villarrial - MWilliams as the starters. And while he was smiling when he said it, I'm not so sure MM was joking when he talked about taking J.P. out to the sand v-ball courts at the Dock at the Bay to teach him how to slide....

The Quarterback Club officially presented Bobby April with his NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year award; the meeting then adjourned to Danny's South. We tried to talk the coaches into coming with us, but they said something about having to get ready for minicamp, or some such lame excuse... :angry:

(And in response to another thread on the topic - while the Sam Adams White Ale was OK, I've always preferred the darker brews. They still had the Winter Lager on tap the last time I was in there; good stuff.)

Lori, it is great that you are posting on TSW. Thanks for such a great report.

See ya in October!  :angry:

324663[/snapback]

Had to come out of hiding sometime..... :devil:

October it is. We'll try to get you some better weather this year.

:devil:Thanks for the great info, Lori and all........... :angry:

How refreshing to read some actual BILLS football info and no references to Satan, Santa & runaway brides to be, etc.

Great Job Lori . Thanks to all that attended for the update , it is really appreciated. I especially lke TD's line about mort, ourlads and the guy writing for the paper and that he will trust his scouts. Now that is a leader . You can agree, disagree whatever but he gives it pretty much straight. Almost like Levy with his quote that as a couch if you start listening to the fans you ay wind up sitting with them.

Let the front office handle the bills and we can second guess all we want on the board, doesn't get much better than that.