NFL proposes 1x/week testing for vaxxed players to NFLPA

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Not at all, serous question.  It was posed today at work. Isn’t it being transmitted by both vaxxed and unvaxxed? My boss was perplexed and so was the health department. Honest question. Wouldn’t it make sense to test everyone to keep everyone safe and not transmit?

To the last question, yes.  That's why the NFLPA wants it.

To the first question, here is a link to a couple posts with references and calculations which address your question, conveniently located in a thread near you (read to the bottom)

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

This, exactly. The situation changed so the rules have to change. Very frequent testing for all provides the highest safety margin. The vaccinated are less likely to transmit it, but not so much less likely that it is worth not testing them more often than 1/week. The testing is uncomfortable but let's face it these guys can deal with a lot of uncomfortable things for their job.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL used not getting tested every day as an incentive for players to get vaccinated.  I don't see how they go back on that now as there's going to be a lot of ticked off players.

It's always possible that the NFLPA is "off the reservation" and not taking input from the players it represents, but since the player's union, the NFLPA, is the group  proposing daily testing for all and the NFL is pushing back - I would assume that the ticked-off players are minimal.

I think a lot of players who aren't stars or locked-in starters got vaccinated because their agents put it to them "if you want to forward your career, maximize your availability, and minimize the reasons a team might cut you, Get the Jab" and avoiding higher testing frequency etc were peripheral to their decision. 

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

It needs to happen. It's two weeks right now, right? A player could contract COVID, have mild symptoms, and completely recover within two weeks, all between tests.

The Titans are like 97% vaccinated, right? And they just had an outbreak because, as they surmise, vaccinated players went out for dinner before a game.

Unfortunately, it just seems like the smartest thing to do is to go back to last year's protocols for everyone, just to be safe.

(I tried to keep this completely football related and I am not bashing anyone or anything related to COVID. Hope my comment is not out of line. Despite the constant warnings from mods on the board, I'm still fuzzy on what's allowed to say and what's not. That's why I usually do not comment on COVID related threads at all, recently)

Things have changed. I hope the NFL tries to do the right thing instead of worrying about players being unhappy. Pandemics just aren't happy things. Nobody is happy about it.

Good job.  I think a problem is folks don't see the posts we take out, which makes it harder to understand what we're trying to put a stop to.

I agree - this isn't a happy thing, and we wish it were different, but It Is What It Is

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's always possible that the NFLPA is "off the reservation" and not taking input from the players it represents, but since the player's union, the NFLPA, is the group  proposing daily testing for all and the NFL is pushing back - I would assume that the ticked-off players are minimal.

I think a lot of players who aren't stars or locked-in starters got vaccinated because their agents put it to them "if you want to forward your career, maximize your availability, and minimize the reasons a team might cut you, Get the Jab" and avoiding higher testing frequency etc were peripheral to their decision. 

I tend to agree with you that this one less particular hassle wasn’t the tipping point for the vaccine hesitant.  However, if the NFL slowly goes back to implementing all of last year’s rules essentially using Delta as a rationale it may get ugly quick among the vaccinated players.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I tend to agree with you that this one less particular hassle wasn’t the tipping point for the vaccine hesitant.  However, if the NFL slowly goes back to implementing all of last year’s rules essentially using Delta as a rationale it may get ugly quick among the vaccinated players.

I think the answer there is transparency. 

4 hours ago, Success said:

(shakes fists at sky)  Why couldn't this have happened during one of the Patriots runs?

Not saying it’s true .. but NFL sources are aware of substantial rumors that with Brady leaving Belichick sent operatives to the wet markets to start a “thing” to divert attention from the fact that he was going to be a bad coach without Tom. It is my understanding that if this is proven the league will come down hard on the Patriots to the tune of forfeiting a conditional 7th round pick … per Godell “Bill needs to pay for what he did to society .. and a conditional 7th seems appropriate”

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Not saying it’s true .. but NFL sources are aware of substantial rumors that with Brady leaving Belichick sent operatives to the wet markets to start a “thing” to divert attention from the fact that he was going to be a bad coach without Tom. It is my understanding that if this is proven the league will come down hard on the Patriots to the tune of forfeiting a conditional 7th round pick … per Godell “Bill needs to pay for what he did to society .. and a conditional 7th seems appropriate”

As Conspiracy Theories go, I have to say, this is one of the most plausible I've seen crafted!

🎤

The news about the NFL proposal to test vaxxed players 1x week instead of 2 vs the every day the NFLPA has requested has been shared; most of us with a stomach for this stuff have had a chance to chew it over and agree/disagree; and I'm ***** if I want to wake up to a couple threads full of crap before I've had my morning coffee two days in a row.

🔒