Development for JP vs. Team Success

I honestly believe that if JP doesn't give us the best chance to win by the end of training camp, he won't start the first game.

The focus is on developing JP this offseason, but the NFL is not a developmental league - the player that gives the team the best chance for a win on Sunday starts, regardless of position. Anything less disrespects the fans and the effort of every other player on the team - see NY Giants 2004.

JP's leash is 4 preseason games. If he's not ready to start Week 1, Holcomb takes us to the playoffs instead.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe that if JP doesn't give us the best chance to win by the end of training camp, he won't start the first game.

The focus is on developing JP this offseason, but the NFL is not a developmental league - the player that gives the team the best chance for a win on Sunday starts, regardless of position.  Anything less disrespects the fans and the effort of every other player on the team - see NY Giants 2004.

JP's leash is 4 preseason games.  If he's not ready to start Week 1, Holcomb takes us to the playoffs instead.

321207[/snapback]

Good post. I hope that you are correct.

Last year, Carson Palmer started out with a putrid 1 and 5 record. With Kitna coming off a career year, the fans were angry my friends. :(

But they stuck with him, and had incorporated an offensive scheme to accentuate his physical attributes. Arguably, without his injury and the other boatload of players that went down, they make the playoffs.

Stick with JP.

The focus is on developing JP this offseason, but the NFL is not a developmental league - the player that gives the team the best chance for a win on Sunday starts, regardless of position.  Anything less disrespects the fans and the effort of every other player on the team - see NY Giants 2004.

JP's leash is 4 preseason games.  If he's not ready to start Week 1, Holcomb takes us to the playoffs instead.

321207[/snapback]

i don't think you can go into the season with that mentality. since when is preseason performance indicative of regular season performance? JP will be judged by what he accomplishes in camp and practice far more than by preseason results.

that said, if he looks completely clueless out there, we have a serious problem. but again, there's absolutely no indication he's going to do that.

Last year, Carson Palmer started out with a putrid 1 and 5 record.  With Kitna coming off a career year, the fans were angry my friends. ;)

But they stuck with him, and had incorporated an offensive scheme to accentuate his physical attributes. Arguably, without his injury and the other boatload of players that went down, they make the playoffs.

Stick with JP.

321227[/snapback]

Would you agree that to emulate the historically hapless Bengals is probably not a good idea? :(

321207[/snapback]

I disagree, JP starts no matter how putrid he may play in the preseason. However, the worse he plays in preseason will determine how much of a leash he is put on during the regular season. If he flat out sucks in pre season, the leash will be a short one.

321207[/snapback]

While I thoroughly like the idea of Holcomb brought in as our back-up, I believe that MM and TC and SW are building this entire offense around Losman's strengths, with roll outs, bootlegs, a lot of movement, etc. Holcomb, while experienced, doesn't have a lot of legs and scrambling ability whatsoever. I sincerely doubt they would scrap the offense before the season started to play to Holcomb's strengths, and lose what they have just spent all off season, free agency, the draft, mini-camps, training camp and pre-season games on. In fact, I don't think there is any chance of it barring injury.

I am sure other people have thought this, but I think a lot of the statistics about the success of a first year starter are a little deceptive: bad teams usually go to a new starter, good teams usually do not.

The Bills are a good team going to a new starter, so we can throw the other statistics out the window.

Great post Gavin, and I agree 100%.

Sure, give the kid a chance, but his development should not be more important than a playoff appearance.

Hopefully we wont have to worry, but your point is valid and again, the post was superb.  ;)

321046[/snapback]

You've uh....got something on your nose there.

:(

Would you agree that to emulate the historically hapless Bengals is probably not a good idea?  ;)

321247[/snapback]

Certainly not the 1990 - 2002 editions. The '80's clubs were pretty good, and a few of their '70's squads.

I moved here in 1990 - watching the B'gals was educational, providing a solid baseline to judge what was bad in football management. I must live under a bad sign, also suffering through the 0 for 12 Bills vs. Miami years - or was it 0 for 20, I forget... :(