Development for JP vs. Team Success

A lot of us are cautious about the upcoming season, many projecting we are likely to miss the playoffs again, mainly due to the fact we will have a rookie in all but name at QB with Losman. But many have also correctly pointed out that winning is the name of the game, that TD is close to the 'put up or get canned' threshold of his GM tenure, and that quite frankly Bills fans are sick and tired of not playing in the postseason.

With all that said, the signing of Holcomb represents an interesting dynamic. As woeful as the Browns have been since their return, the few seasons they have been successful was in large part due to the inspired play of Holcomb. The braintrust at OBD surely knows this as well so the question is: Just how short a leash does JP have for the upcoming season? Will he play all season come hell or highwater to aid his 'development', or if he comes out of the gate pretty poorly will he get yanked to see if Holcomb can turn the bus around?

I think as much as OBD talk up the season hinging on the development of JP, they won't hesitate to make a switch if the defense and special teams are holding up their end and they think Holcomb can create a spark. Thus writing off next season might be a tad premature.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us are cautious about the upcoming season, many projecting we are likely to miss the playoffs again, mainly due to the fact we will have a rookie in all but name at QB with Losman. But many have also correctly pointed out that winning is the name of the game, that TD is close to the 'put up or get canned' threshold of his GM tenure, and that quite frankly Bills fans are sick and tired of not playing in the postseason.

With all that said, the signing of Holcomb represents an interesting dynamic. As woeful as the Browns have been since their return, the few seasons they have been successful was in large part due to the inspired play of Holcomb. The braintrust at OBD surely knows this as well so the question is: Just how short a leash does JP have for the upcoming season? Will he play all season come hell or highwater to aid his 'development', or if he comes out of the gate pretty poorly will he get yanked to see if Holcomb can turn the bus around?

I think as much as OBD talk up the season hinging on the development of JP, they won't hesitate to make a switch if the defense and special teams are holding up their end and they think Holcomb can create a spark. Thus writing off next season might be a tad premature.

321023[/snapback]

pending health, i think JP starts every game this year regardless of how he plays.......

pending health, i think JP starts every game this year regardless of how he plays.......

321029[/snapback]

Probably true and pretty necessary. I'd rather see them handle him the way Reeves handled Elway his initial season (they pulled him in the OPENER against Pittsburgh for DeBerg, who ended up winning the game) but I don't think that's likely to happen.

Probably true and pretty necessary.  I'd rather see them handle him the way Reeves handled Elway his initial season (they pulled him in the OPENER against Pittsburgh for DeBerg, who ended up winning the game) but I don't think that's likely to happen.

321036[/snapback]

I'm torn on that. On one hand JP could play every game for his development and he'll build on that and be a success, on the other JP could play every game for his development and still end up failing, representing wasted time for Buffalo when the defense and ST were doing pretty damn good. At what point do you sacrifice your prospects development for the success of the team?

I think as much as OBD talk up the season hinging on the development of JP, they won't hesitate to make a switch if the defense and special teams are holding up their end and they think Holcomb can create a spark.

321023[/snapback]

MM proved last year that he can be a really patient guy. Unless he flat out falls on his face, I think JP's the man and the offense will be adjusted to whatever his capabilities allow him to do.

my guess? if JP's playing to at least the level of bledsoe last year (i.e., rating in the 70s), he'll continue to see all the snaps regardless of the W-L record.

if you believe a guy is the future of your franchise, you don't pull him unless he REALLY stinks up the joint.

Good points. But something keeps crawing at me. Donahoe has already started the last few weeks on we will only get to the next level based on how JP progresses. He has said he isn't there but JP developments is the key to our success.

I get the impression TD is concerned that JP isn't progressing at the pace he expected. Matthews deciding not to retire all of a sudden really was what got me thinking about it. Wondering pretty much the same as you that the leash is short and Holcomb could easily become our starter, with Matthews the #2 and JP back holding the clipboard.

Add to that the fact that JP just took off to go hang out with Evans bothered me as well. Seemed like both Evans and Moulds, along with Reed and Aikn could have all benefitted from timing issues. Hence bring them all to Buffalo to work with Wyche and the receivers coach.

Things just aren't adding up, IMHO.

my guess?  if JP's playing to at least the level of bledsoe last year (i.e., rating in the 70s), he'll continue to see all the snaps regardless of the W-L record.

if you believe a guy is the future of your franchise, you don't pull him unless he REALLY stinks up the joint.

321049[/snapback]

Well stated. Handing the ball off to Willis frequently to set up the play action pass downfield is a great way to take pressure off of Losman. It will teach him patience and how to properly manage a game. At Tulane, he was the whole offense and tried to do it all himself. Poise and patience comes with experience.

Good points.  But something keeps crawing at me. Donahoe has already started the last few weeks on we will only get to the next level based on how JP progresses.  He has said he isn't there but JP developments is the key to our success. 

I get the impression TD is concerned that JP isn't progressing at the pace he expected.  Matthews deciding not to retire all of a sudden really was what got me thinking about it.  Wondering pretty much the same as you that the leash is short and Holcomb could easily become our starter, with Matthews the #2 and JP back holding the clipboard. 

Add to that the fact that JP just took off to go hang out with Evans bothered me as well.  Seemed like both Evans and Moulds, along with Reed  and Aikn could have all benefitted from timing issues.  Hence bring them all to Buffalo to work with Wyche and the receivers coach. 

Things just aren't adding up, IMHO.

321054[/snapback]

Give me an "R." Give me a "U." Give me a....

:(

my guess?  if JP's playing to at least the level of bledsoe last year (i.e., rating in the 70s), he'll continue to see all the snaps regardless of the W-L record.

321049[/snapback]

The thing is, it is NOT a given that JP will play up to the level of Drew in 04.

The above may be hard for worshippers (not necessarily you) to grasp, but the possibility does truly exist.

I hate to speak for another poster, but I think that Gavin was giving us a scenario which asks if staying with JP was worth the Bills not getting a playoff spot in 05 should he falter.

Hopefully it will not come to this, but believe it or not, it is a distinct possibility, and a great discussion topic imo.

The thing is, it is NOT a given that JP will play up to the level of Drew in 04.

The above may be hard for worshippers (not necessarily you) to grasp, but the possibility does truly exist.

I hate to speak for another poster, but I think that Gavin was giving us a scenario which asks if staying with JP was worth the Bills not getting a playoff spot in 05 should he falter.

Hopefully it will not come to this, but believe it or not, it is a distinct possibility, and a great discussion topic imo.

321067[/snapback]

Were it just Matthews and the guy from NFLEurope or another 'yute' as the backup QB's then I would expect JP to get every snap. I just think that having Holcomb on the roster gives the Bills another 'QB starter' option.

I hope to god the Bills are smart enough to not play musical QB. JP needs to start and play the whole game every game. Even if he throws a NFL record of 112 INT's in one game he needs to play.

The only way to learn from your mistakes is to play through them.

Were it just Matthews and the guy from NFLEurope or another 'yute' as the backup QB's then I would expect JP to get every snap. I just think that having Holcomb on the roster gives the Bills another 'QB starter' option.

321075[/snapback]

But why bring back Matthews? I would have expected a development QB as our 3rd QB. Why waste the money and roster spot on an old vet?

321075[/snapback]

Hey, I totally agree, and I think that another factor does enter into the equation.

RW seems to rely on the gate for a profit. I am thinking that he lost a ton of money at 3-13 (although I still came up to the Ralph :( ).

I dont believe that RW wants to suffer through a losing season; not at his age. He stands to make HUGE bucks if the Bills reach the playoffs. It is hard for me to visualize the Bills letting the development of one player prevent them from making a playoff appearance.

Again, I hope that it doesn't come to this, but we shall see.

But why bring back Matthews? I would have expected a development QB as our 3rd QB.  Why waste the money and roster spot on an old vet?

321081[/snapback]

How many third stringers in this league ever "develop" into anything? I'm not talking about high draft choices here.

But why bring back Matthews? I would have expected a development QB as our 3rd QB.  Why waste the money and roster spot on an old vet?

321081[/snapback]

Most teams use their #3 as their developmental guy for a few years down the road. The Bills just have two guys that WILL very likely play four years for us. We simply do not need a #3 to develop, we have our starter and our back-up and will use one of the PS places to develop a guy in all likelihood. I think they resigned Matthews (who at 450K toward the cap is only about 100K more than a walk-on FA) because of his rapport with Losman.

It's always good to have a non-ego guy on your side who has been there. Matthews and Holcomb will not be fighting each other fiercely for being #2 or #3, we have three clearly defined roles. I think Matthews is there because he can make 450K for never being hit and on the job learning for being a QB coach or OC down the line. The Bills benefit from his experience and ability to help JP and don't need his roster spot at #3 because they have two players they can count on being here a few years.