NY Times: Increase in Diversity not going way Democrats hoped

Why Rising Diversity Might Not Help Democrats as Much as They Hope

Voters of color make up an increasing percentage of the United States electorate, but that trend isn’t hurting Republicans as much as conservatives fear.

The Census Bureau released two important sets of data last week that have big implications for American politics — and that challenge some prevailing assumptions for both Democrats and Republicans.

The first set of data lays out long-term demographic trends widely thought to favor Democrats: Hispanics, Asian-Americans and multiracial voters grew as a share of the electorate over the last two presidential races, and white voters — who historically tend to back the G.O.P. — fell to 71 percent in 2020 from 73 percent in 2016.

The other data set tells a second story.

Population growth continues to accelerate in the South and the West, so much so that some Republican-leaning states in those regions are gaining more Electoral College votes. The states won by President Biden will be worth 303 electoral votes, down from 306 electoral votes in 2020. The Democratic disadvantage in the Electoral College just got worse again.

Why Rising Diversity Might Not Help Democrats as Much as They Hope

https://nyti.ms/3nLtemD

• Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

When we win Texas you won’t be saying this 

Georgia and Arizona are waving hello 

How'd y'all do there the other night?  No more evil Orange Man to get the suburban women out in droves anymore?  But you are charging them more for gas, taxing them more, and locking up their kids.  

So good luck with all that.  I once heard the same about Florida.......in 1996.  

And it's the NY Times saying this not me.  

Also, Pennsylvania Wisconsin and soon Michigan and yea probably what's left of California all say hello.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

How'd y'all do there the other night?  No more evil Orange Man to get the suburban women out in droves anymore?  But you are charging them more for gas, taxing them more, and locking up their kids.  

So good luck with all that.  I once heard the same about Florida.......in 1996.  

And it's the NY Times saying this not me.  

Also, Pennsylvania Wisconsin and soon Michigan and yea probably what's left of California all say hello.   

Who says Trump is gone? Your party is still acting like he is Dear Leader.. just ask Lynne Cheney. 

Dems are charging them more for gas? Ok, maybe an economics lesson would help you. 

Taxing who more? The wealthy, yes. 

Arresting who? Wtf are you babbling about? 

We are looking at North Carolina too, and you actually think California will go Republican? Lol 

"One reason demographic change has failed to transform electoral politics is that the increased diversity of the electorate has come not mainly from Black voters but from Hispanic, Asian-American and multiracial voters."

"Those groups back Democrats, but not always by overwhelmingly large margins.... The new census data’s finding that the percentage of non-Hispanic white voters in the country’s electorate dropped by about two percentage points from 2016 to 2020 might seem like a lot. But with Hispanic, Asian-American and multiracial voters representing the entirety of the increase, while the Black share of the electorate was flat, the growing nonwhite share of the electorate cost Mr. Trump only about half a percentage point over a four-year period.

Another factor is the electoral map. The American electoral system rewards flipping states from red to blue, but many Democratic gains among nonwhite voters have been concentrated in the major cities of big and often noncompetitive states. By contrast, many traditional swing states across the northern tier, like Wisconsin or Pennsylvania, have had relatively little demographic change.... White voters still represent more than 80 percent of the electorate in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, according to the new census data. The nonwhite population in these states is predominantly Black; their share of the population has been fairly steady over the last few decades. But Mr. Biden won these states so narrowly that the relatively modest demographic shifts of the last few decades were necessary for him to prevail in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

It’s just hard to call it a Great Replacement if Mr. Trump could have won in 2020 if only he had done as well among white voters as he did in 2016."

From "Why Rising Diversity Might Not Help Democrats as Much as They Hope/Voters of color make up an increasing percentage of the United States electorate, but that trend isn’t hurting Republicans as much as conservatives fear" by Nate Cohn (NYT). 

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/05/one-reason-demographic-change-has.html

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Who says Trump is gone? Your party is still acting like he is Dear Leader.. just ask Lynne Cheney.

Do you charge him rent for occupying your head 24/7?  Or has he been given a mortgage moratorium to?

Dems are charging them more for gas? Ok, maybe an economics lesson would help you. 

Yes it's called supply and demand and President Cardboard Cutout cut the supply.  

Taxing who more? The wealthy, yes. 

This is a solution I agree it's new, untested, and never been tried.  Let's see how this plays out.  

Never heard of this idea or could give you any examples of where or why it's a failure so let's go.  

Arresting who? Wtf are you babbling about? 

Not locked up like Hunter Biden should be.  

Locked up and away from other kids because variants long covid metrics goal posts lies blah blah 

We are looking at North Carolina too, and you actually think California will go Republican? Lol 

No.  Everything is permanent.  

Realignment never happens. 

One thing that will never change is the Democrat party is inherently racist and always will be.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

It's almost like they're 3/5 of a person all over again.  Go red states!  Go electoral college!  Heck, if this continues, the blue states will become less populus, thus gaining the unfair advantage for themselves.

‘Things Have Shifted Dramatically’: Conservative Hispanic Leaders Explain Why Texas Voters Are Shifting Republican

by Mary Margaret Olohan

The Republican party in Texas is drawing Hispanic voters disillusioned by the Democratic party’s extreme values, two female Hispanic Republican leaders with Democratic backgrounds told the Daily Caller News Foundation. South Texas saw both a liberal decline and a conservative surge during the 2020 election, the New York Times reported, a surge that has emboldened Republicans hoping to win in Latino communities throughout the United States. Hispanic female Republicans are stepping up to the plate, the publication reported. “I am starting to see this need to connect with the Hispanic community and let them know nationwide that it’s the Republican

https://dailycaller.com/2021/05/07/texas-gop-hispanic-voters-democrat/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, B-Man said:

‘Things Have Shifted Dramatically’: Conservative Hispanic Leaders Explain Why Texas Voters Are Shifting Republican

by Mary Margaret Olohan

The Republican party in Texas is drawing Hispanic voters disillusioned by the Democratic party’s extreme values, two female Hispanic Republican leaders with Democratic backgrounds told the Daily Caller News Foundation. South Texas saw both a liberal decline and a conservative surge during the 2020 election, the New York Times reported, a surge that has emboldened Republicans hoping to win in Latino communities throughout the United States. Hispanic female Republicans are stepping up to the plate, the publication reported. “I am starting to see this need to connect with the Hispanic community and let them know nationwide that it’s the Republican

https://dailycaller.com/2021/05/07/texas-gop-hispanic-voters-democrat/

I think it's funny that the GOP has to use Texas as a show of success. I mean the Reddest of red states just hanging on there. LOL 

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

180 degrees again.

I was using it to show dem failure.

YOU and others have been crowing about the shifting of the census, and its not true.

but, your delusion is certainly normal for you.

Failure is not winning in TEXAS??? LOL

You are just so desperate 

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I'd say the people that can't stop talking about Trump and January 6th are pretty desperate.

This is 100% because they know Trumpism is going to kill them in the election.  So everything from who associates with him, who supports any of his positions, all need to be discredited immediately! 

That's all this is about.  

When Bush (via McCain) lost, the era and Bush was immediately forgotten despite a war Trump never would have started raged on and the biggest economic crisis that Trump told you 30 years ago we were headed for was devastating the country.  

They never feared Neo-Con Bushism the way they do Trumpism.

And it's glorious to watch.  

Political landscape discussions are pretty interesting.  

Much like Virginia and Colorado are becoming a lost cause for Republicans, so too are Ohio and Florida for Democrats.  

Georgia and Arizona are two red states that have a visible purple tinge to them now.   Same with blue Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin... although I do think the GOP has more work to do to turn those states red in national elections than do the Dems in Georgia and Arizona. 

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'd say the people that can't stop talking about Trump and January 6th are pretty desperate.

This is 100% because they know Trumpism is going to kill them in the election.  So everything from who associates with him, who supports any of his positions, all need to be discredited immediately! 

That's all this is about.  

When Bush (via McCain) lost, the era and Bush was immediately forgotten despite a war Trump never would have started raged on and the biggest economic crisis that Trump told you 30 years ago we were headed for was devastating the country.  

They never feared Neo-Con Bushism the way they do Trumpism.

And it's glorious to watch.  

Huh? The guy who lost the popular vote twice and the presidency last time? Who lost the house and senate? 

The Georgia elections make clear Trumpism is a loser. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Huh? The guy who lost the popular vote twice and the presidency last time? Who lost the house and senate? 

If Trump ran again in 2024, I think Georgia would be a coin flip.   

The Senate seats were lost due to Trump, but not entirely as a repudiation of him, instead it was mainly due to his rural followers falling for his incessant whining that elections are rigged.  

That and blatantly false bribes.  I know, I jogged every day past a giant billboard at the border of Midtown and Buckhead for Warnock promising $2,000 checks, if elected. 

Also, Georgia Republicans have done the bare minimum to get elected in the state, and their candidates have been trash.  It seems they finally realize that after two insanely rich powerful people with zero personality were defeated by Ossoff and Warnock.  

You’ll likely see new blood for the GOP in Georgia moving forward.  

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Who had more votes the night Trump was on the ballot?  

The 2 Ds or the 2 Rs?

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Being an adult, I can remember things.

You started a thread on it little boy,

You have repeated and repeated that red states have been turning blue,

and now, faced with the fact that you may be wrong (via NYT) ,

you try and claim it's no big deal,

you are a child.

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Being an adult, I can remember things.