My NFL Draft Big Board (Excel Doc)/ Targets for the Bills at Pick #30

18 hours ago, mjt328 said:

No Jaelen Phillips?  Or do you not think he has a chance of lasting until 30?

Phillips is a tricky one for me. He is an elite athlete and he probably would provide the most immediate impact of any of the edge rushers in this class. His tape is pretty special. 

I didn't include him on my list for a couple of reasons: 

1) As you said, I think he'll likely be selected before our pick at #30. Strictly based on talent alone, he's a top fifteen pick so I don't think he will slide that far.

2) Even if he did somehow fall to #30, his medical history is pretty scary and Beane mentioned at his pre-draft presser that teams didn't get a chance to examine the prospects' medicals as comprehensively as in past years. Phillips quit football after major concussion issues and left UCLA to pursue a music career, I think there is some question on whether he truly loves football. He's had ankle injuries and his left hand/wrist are basically mush after he was in a serious traffic accident (three bones removed). Worth noting that he's been rather healthy ever since he arrived at Miami, but who knows how many concussions he has left. I've also heard on a couple Bills podcasts I listen to that there are some behind-the-scenes rumors about Phillips that might put teams off. 

If we did pick Phillips, I could definitely get excited about his potential and talent, but he comes with a lot more risk than some of the other guys. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hard pass on Kwity Paye. Saw this in recent article.

In a few days' time, he'll have one of the country's biggest possible megaphones -- an NFL platform -- and he has a very specific endgame in mind. He can be a Colin Kaepernick, he thinks, but for the issue of immigration.. .

37 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Phillips is a tricky one for me. He is an elite athlete and he probably would provide the most immediate impact of any of the edge rushers in this class. His tape is pretty special. 

I didn't include him on my list for a couple of reasons: 

1) As you said, I think he'll likely be selected before our pick at #30. Strictly based on talent alone, he's a top fifteen pick so I don't think he will slide that far.

2) Even if he did somehow fall to #30, his medical history is pretty scary and Beane mentioned at his pre-draft presser that teams didn't get a chance to examine the prospects' medicals as comprehensively as in past years. Phillips quit football after major concussion issues and left UCLA to pursue a music career, I think there is some question on whether he truly loves football. He's had ankle injuries and his left hand/wrist are basically mush after he was in a serious traffic accident (three bones removed). Worth noting that he's been rather healthy ever since he arrived at Miami, but who knows how many concussions he has left. I've also heard on a couple Bills podcasts I listen to that there are some behind-the-scenes rumors about Phillips that might put teams off. 

If we did pick Phillips, I could definitely get excited about his potential and talent, but he comes with a lot more risk than some of the other guys. 

Oh damn, I didn't hear that about Phillips hand! I mean, JPP is still doin it but that's a serious injury. He should of called Skynet and had them put in a Terminator hand lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

It feels so strange drafting so far down the board. As we get closer to the draft, I find myself less, and less stuck on specific players, and more interested in who Beane ends up placing the highest value on by the time we pick. I'll be especially excited if we trade up, for no other reason than Beane seeing someone they are that excited about becoming available. Be that as it may, I suspect a lot of fans will be surprised.

Always love your work, @Dont Stop Billeiving. This is a really useful document.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree on Ojulari. He is 3-4 only to my eye. Decent all rounder, inconsistent hands, stonewalled by pro ready tackles. .

And Teven Jenkins is RT only. That is not first round value to me. Hard, hard pass.

Elijah Moore at #61 I'd love. Not at #30.

The rest I can pretty much be on board with.

Thanks @GunnerBill, I was really interested to get your take on this as I know you do a ton of pre-draft work/film study. Feel pretty good that we agree on 7 out of 10!

Some quick responses to the three guys you mentioned just for fun:

Ojulari is definitely undersized, but I thought I saw plenty of strength/sand to hold up against the run and his 34.5 inch arms give him the length to extend and rip through blockers. Only 5 pounds lighter than Jerry Hughes and the same height I believe. Has the elite bend and burst similar to the top pass rushers in the NFL and led the SEC in multiple defensive stats. Love his intangibles as well, really sounds like a McBeane player and person. 

Agree with what you said for Jenkins not being an LT (below average length for a tackle and tends to be a waist bender), but I want him because I think he can be an elite guard who is dominant in the run game. I know IOL isn't a great value in the first round, but we're picking late and Jenkins is huge, very athletic, experienced, and plays with an edge that I think our line needs. Think he could be an upgrade at either guard spot from Day 1 and he has the versatility to be a backup tackle if we need.

Moore seems to be shooting up draft boards at the moment. I feel like a lot of people had him listed as a mid to late Day 2 pick just a couple months ago, but that lately he's being talked about as a top 40 pick. Probably has something to do with his 4.35 40 Yard Dash time, but to be fair I think that speed translated when you watch him on film (unlike Rondale Moore IMO) and he's electric in space and after the catch. Needs to develop his route tree a bit and prove he can win downfield more often, but I think he's a good route runner with insane athletic ability who can learn from Beasley and Diggs and he could be the home run threat we need (I know our passing offense was elite last year, but I like the idea of re-investing in your strengths and elite speed is the one thing we currently lack). 

Out of curiosity, who (or what position) are you hoping for at #30? Cheers, not long to go now!

12 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Thanks @GunnerBill, I was really interested to get your take on this as I know you do a ton of pre-draft work/film study. Feel pretty good that we agree on 7 out of 10!

Some quick responses to the three guys you mentioned just for fun:

Ojulari is definitely undersized, but I thought I saw plenty of strength/sand to hold up against the run and his 34.5 inch arms give him the length to extend and rip through blockers. Only 5 pounds lighter than Jerry Hughes and the same height I believe. Has the elite bend and burst similar to the top pass rushers in the NFL and led the SEC in multiple defensive stats. Love his intangibles as well, really sounds like a McBeane player and person. 

Agree with what you said for Jenkins not being an LT (below average length for a tackle and tends to be a waist bender), but I want him because I think he can be an elite guard who is dominant in the run game. I know IOL isn't a great value in the first round, but we're picking late and Jenkins is huge, very athletic, experienced, and plays with an edge that I think our line needs. Think he could be an upgrade at either guard spot from Day 1 and he has the versatility to be a backup tackle if we need.

Moore seems to be shooting up draft boards at the moment. I feel like a lot of people had him listed as a mid to late Day 2 pick just a couple months ago, but that lately he's being talked about as a top 40 pick. Probably has something to do with his 4.35 40 Yard Dash time, but to be fair I think that speed translated when you watch him on film (unlike Rondale Moore IMO) and he's electric in space and after the catch. Needs to develop his route tree a bit and prove he can win downfield more often, but I think he's a good route runner with insane athletic ability who can learn from Beasley and Diggs and he could be the home run threat we need (I know our passing offense was elite last year, but I like the idea of re-investing in your strengths and elite speed is the one thing we currently lack). 

Out of curiosity, who (or what position) are you hoping for at #30? Cheers, not long to go now!

So I'd go Newsome if he is there. But Ossai > Ojulari as a developmental edge for the Bills scheme. Eichenberg > Jenkins as an olineman. Marshall or Dyami Brown > Moore at receiver. 

22 hours ago, GVINCENT said:

Travis Ettiene... They are not going to stop the Chiefs or the Bucs anyway, so just keep the ball out of their hands. Run, baby run...

Id be ok with Etienne but definitely not because I want to “run, baby run..”.   He’d help there for sure, but he was electric for Clemson as being a release valve for Trevor Lawrence.   

On 4/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Interesting.  Do you think he kind of compares with Epenesa in that regard?

To me, I think of Basham as Shaq Lawson 2.0. Probably a solid player in the league (high floor/low ceiling type prospect) who will be a steady run defender and get 4-6 sacks each year based on his effort. Lacks the speed and bend of the top guys though. 

3 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

To me, I think of Basham as Shaq Lawson 2.0. Probably a solid player in the league (high floor/low ceiling type prospect) who will be a steady run defender and get 4-6 sacks each year based on his effort. Lacks the speed and bend of the top guys though. 

If you believe the hand timed 40s, Basham ran 4.64.  I am not banging the table for him, but I do think he will go higher than many excpect.  I watched a few games of his (I am no scout) and I don’t  think that he is a big slug.