Best player for immediate upgrade to our starting lineup.

gjv

I think the most immediate impact players would be at RB and CB. Although I like Boogie Basham and Joseph Ossai to a lesser degree, it would likely take them a year or more to crack the starting lineup. I do think Boogie will be a good DE in this league but I seem to be in the minority there. A top flight corner opposite to Tre is not a bad idea either and would certainly add a scary element to our defense, but yeah, as far as which positions would provide the most immediate impact to our roster, it would have to be RB, CB and DE.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Pass rusher.

But nobody will make that much of a difference this year. 

As for how much of a difference Etienne would make, around 130 extra yards in his first year would be a solid guess, plus an extra ... what ... maybe 150 yards of difference in passing. Somewhere around there.

As a rookie, Singletary had around 150 carries and Moss around 110. Split the diff, and say ETN had 130. Be wildly optimistic and say he'd average 5.3 YPC. That'd be around a yard per carry more than either of the other two, maybe. So maybe an extra 130 yards extra on the ground. Run the same type of replacement guesstimates on the pass game and maybe 150 yards in passing, though it's generous.

That's how much he specifically gains, but how much do others in the offense benefit from his presence?  As someone else mentioned, if other teams have to account for a guy like him who could go the distance n any given play, how much does that help the rest of the offense (and passing game in particular.)

53 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

That's how much he specifically gains, but how much do others in the offense benefit from his presence?  As someone else mentioned, if other teams have to account for a guy like him who could go the distance n any given play, how much does that help the rest of the offense (and passing game in particular.)

Do teams really have to worry about him “going the distance” though?  Honestly.

Etienne is mid 4.4 speed - that is not blazing and certainly not faster than a bunch of NFL LBs and DBs.  He would be faster than the current Draft pick backs we have, but he does not strike me as a take it to the house guy in the NFL.

I see a take it to the house guy with a forty time below 4.4 and hopefully 4.35 and lower.  Elite level speed.  Etienne has the best combo of speed and play in the upcoming draft, but I just think he will be an average RB for some team.  I don’t think he is as good at Harris in the passing game or the running game, and he has had way to many touches and fumbles over the last couple of years.

I would rather draft a late round or UDFA speed back than Etienne myself.