Vaccine mandates in the NFL

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

There's a tipping point, though.

This might regrettably bring us into a general Covid Vaccine hesitancy discussion, but if a gigantic chunk of the population refuses to get the vaccine, then not much changes.

Unfortunately, despite the deepest desires of some for "herd immunity" through infection, we live in cautious times in a cautious society. So while maybe 30% of the population is waiting things out for everyone to get infected so everyone can finally get out and about normally thanks to herd immunity due to mass infection (and death) as was the result of the 1918-1919 Pandemic, the vast majority of the country is waiting for that 30% to get their darn vaccines so we can get back to normal already.

This is the incredibly frustrating part of all this. Qanon's leader and prophet himself got the vaccine along with his wife and did it silently... behind closed doors.

Wanna complain about everything being shut down and things not being back to normal...? Get your darn vaccine and then complain. Be the solution rather than the problem.

That goes for Football players, too.

Love Josh Allen. He's amazing on and off the field.

Josh... get your damn vaccine and set an example.

I for one have chosen to not take the flu shot for yrs ! They meaning Fauci the CDC none of them know the actual numbers of this thing given false positives and how many while in the hospital were not actual deaths from the virus . At one point it was a money grab by the hospitals some $32k per person diagnosed .

The mask thing too just a normal mask other than a N-95 will not stop the virus & the only way a N-95 will stop it is if it's fitted properly but statements were & are still being made that masks curb the spread maybe ever so slightly but again use of fear to get something accomplished but mostly BS .

Then ever since this thing started not one of those in the spot light have given us the info to increase your vitamin D levels along with other vitamins to boost your immune system which should have been the first thing but it was all abut developing a vaccine ! 

I've heard that Fauci has even said so much as having to say some things to make people believe it was worse than first thought to get a point across so i'm not real sure he should be completely trusted . 

Then they say this happened because a bat took a crap in some sea food in a market in China & i'm thinking that is so much BS . 

Then the biggest part is Josh & how many hundreds of other players just went through a entire season with out getting the virus and those that did contract it came out the other end fine with out it so let them crunch those numbers .

I've heard from people & scientists both that the vaccine is one huge experimental undertaking not having any past data to know what might happen if taken like the blood clot thing .

We just don't know I'll bet on my immune system first & help it out it hasn't failed me yet 🙌  that's why I'm taking the common sense way through this until i know more & I'm with Josh he should be able to be free to make his own determination weather he needs it or not & not be pushed to take it just because until there is more true data & numbers to make a educated decision .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Incentivizing players to get vaccinated sounds fine. I do not believe they should be mandated to get it, and don’t think they will be. I don’t know if staff etc are unionized so maybe they will be required or they already are ? 

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Pump the brakes. Elderly and immune deficient people definitely need to get vaccinated. Once done, which they say will be within weeks not months, you’re going to see the mortality rate drop like a stone! (After all thats who were dying all along anyway.) Will it really matter then if other, healthy, younger people catch Covid? Really? Why? They catch it every day right now, and virtually 100% of them fully recover within a week...just like so many other viruses we’re all accustomed to. How many 72 year NFL players are there other than Tom Brady anyway? 

Viruses mutate.   That's why it's important to get as many people as possible who are not ineligible for the vaccine for health reasons, vaccinated ASAP.  Without hosts, the vaccine dies out.  That's why smallpox now exists only in laboratories and how polio disappeared from the US and most of the developed world.  That's how the US effectively got rid of measles, mumps, and rubella for decades until the anti-vaxxers allowed rubella to make a comeback.  If the original covid virus and current variants are allowed to survive in the human population, eventually a vaccine resistant variant will appear, and we'll be back where we started in January, 2020.

Moreover, death isn't the only consequence of covid.  One of the Bills players couldn't play last season because of covid left him with heart problems.  I haven't heard if he's recovered, but enough people infected with covid continue to have debilitating symptoms for months afterward, and some of these "long haulers" have been suffering a year or more now.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Viruses mutate.   That's why it's important to get as many people as possible who are not ineligible for the vaccine for health reasons, vaccinated ASAP.  Without hosts, the vaccine dies out.  That's why smallpox now exists only in laboratories and how polio disappeared from the US and most of the developed world.  That's how the US effectively got rid of measles, mumps, and rubella for decades until the anti-vaxxers allowed rubella to make a comeback.  If the original covid virus and current variants are allowed to survive in the human population, eventually a vaccine resistant variant will appear, and we'll be back where we started in January, 2020.

Moreover, death isn't the only consequence of covid.  One of the Bills players couldn't play last season because of covid left him with heart problems.  I haven't heard if he's recovered, but enough people infected with covid continue to have debilitating symptoms for months afterward, and some of these "long haulers" have been suffering a year or more now.

Thanks.  I am no vaccine expert, but I doubt that the current vaccines (of which I've already gotten mine) will protect the entire population from the potential mutations. The currently available vaccines haven't been studied for long enough to know.  And, as to young people, you can always find exceptions to everything, but my earlier comments still apply to Covid 19...and always did.

I am curious about what the NFL plans to do with the people who are more at risk from the vaccines than from the virus. I am related to someone who due to blood clotting issues is not able to take many vaccines and limited kinds of medications. Literally taking the vaccine would be much more likely to cause damage then even getting sick with COVID.

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See this is where the ‘follow the science’ ‘my body my choice’ crowd lose me. 96% of covid fatalities in the country are aged 50 or older. That’s the vulnerable population. Once they are vaccinated or otherwise protected along with the willing and the others with risk factors, and the 30 million or more contracted covid, the herd risk is effectively mitigated. That is science. 

Those aged 50+ also are at lower risk for unknown long term side effects because they aren’t living another 50-60 years. 

I’m signed up to get it, but I’m skeptical there might be some issues years from now we learn about from this new first time ever mRNA fast tracked vaccine approach that they’ve been failing to get right for decades based on less than a years data. 

I actually understand the skepticism of the new mRNA technology to a degree. That's actually part of why I chose the J & J. Glad I got it when I did (almost a month ago) with the current pause going on.