Predraft Wisdom Review

Mickey

Here are a smattering of brilliant pre-draft predictions culled from the fertile fields of the TSW. The authors have not been named since this is not an attempt to embarass anyone in particular. I just think it is good for some laughs on just how samart we think we are. Here goes:

And if Jon Gruden settles on USC's Mike Williams over Auburn's Carnell Williams at No. 5, he might be able to pry Henry loose from the Bills for either the 36th or 71st overall pick. We couldn't even get a nibble for their 100th+ pick.

I'd rather take a third from TB, Philly or Ariz. would you take a 4th?

Id rather just hold onto to him if we cant get value. A 3rd is a joke. if a 3rd is a joke, what is a 4th?

if alexandar, we send TH and 2nd to seattle for #25 and filler

if james, we send TH and 2nd to indy for #29 and filler another cockeyed optimist

A third is silly. Then you have to go find a backup. At that point F it, just keep an unhappy Henry. Turns out TD was begging for a third but no takers

I would be surprised if TH and the swap of seconds doesn't happen, although I think TD also has something else up his sleeve. Surprise!

While I still think that both these views are extreme and wrong, certainly the one which looks more realistic even if its unlikely is the second view that in the draft furor there may even prove to be a first for Henry (though I really doubt this will happen). Hedger

if it turns out the way things are headed that the Bills will get at least the #2 thet have publicly stated was Henry's worth, if this turns our to be the case a post from you that acknowledges this reality would seem to be merited lest you would like a place in the TSW Hall of Humor next to ICE. a post acknowledging reality is indeed merited but from a different source

Henry and the Bills 55th for Shelton and the Cards 44th is not enough for Travis Henry especially when their are three or more teams interested. Philly's 2nd and another pick is better than Shelton and swapping picks. Regardless, Henry is gone by tommorrow night. turns out they were not so interested

My prediction is Henry doesn't go to the Cards, and we pick up Shelton in June after he is cut to compete with Khalif Barnes or Jamaal Brown, who we will trade up to get with our 2 2nd round picks. Henry to Philly. Brown was the 13th pick in the first and Barnes was the 20th in the 2nd. Since all we could get for Henry was a 4th, I'm thinking we didn't really have much of shot at those two..

If Buffalo isn't fairly compensated with at least a decent 3rd rd pick or better yet a 2nd rd pick,… "at least...", a recurring theme.

Let's see. Get a second for Henry straight up, pick up Baas and Nugent. Then have an amazing talent at CB or DE that we pick up as a steal in the 3rd round. Or possibly, pick up Nugent in the 3rd round if he drops that far. Baas went first in the second round, Nugent was the 15th and we couldn't even get a third rounder for TH.

Henry is traded to the Bucs for there 2nd round, in return we also add a 4th in next years draft. And a 5th in 2007 and a 6th in 2009 and....

Does anyone believe that TD is not up to something? His reputation precedes him, and whatever he may be cooking up will, hopefully, be delicious I guess the micro was on the fritz

TD will get into the end of the first round, IMO. Perhaps... TH + our second rounder? Couldn't even get into the third with TH

I think I would much rather see TD trade Trav for another 2 round pick. I would rather have 2 2nd rounders than a first rounder and no second. So would we all, so would we all

…somewheres in the mid to late 1st rd. Maybe not. I do expect Buffalo to at least get into the early 2nd rd at the very worse. how about "at least" the 3rd round in 2006?

Poll on where TH will end up on draft day: “None”, the right answer, got only 3 out of 35 votes cast.

I've made numerous posts and about 95% of them have been about the Bills moving up to the latter part of the 1st rd or to the early part of the 2nd rd. That's where the real value is in this draft. Anybody who thinks that Donahoe isn't going to find a way to get us in this area of the draft better think again. Do you doubt this? I'm thinking again and I think you are 95% wrong

Am It the only one who feels that TD has something up his sleeve to get us into the late first round? No, you weren't, you had lots of company, believe me, that is one crowded bus

The reason they havent pulled the trigger is simple. They know people want Henry and can get something more out of the Cards for him. That seems to be playing out. Look, me and the fellas get together now and then for a friendly game of poker, I'm sure we could squeeze you in, want to play?

Just so I don't leave out my own brilliant observations, I predicted that we would go for a DT. Anyone count how many of those we drafted?

And what's even funnier is that you can go back through TSW threads about ANY subject and compile a list in retrospect of what truly happened. Who cares? We all wanted to get value and drop Henry and it didn't happen. I'd rather have a disgruntled Henry as a backup than nothing. <_<

And what's even funnier is that you can go back through TSW threads about ANY subject and compile a list in retrospect of what truly happened. Who cares? We all wanted to get value and drop Henry and it didn't happen. I'd rather have a disgruntled Henry as a backup than nothing.  <_<

318233[/snapback]

Bingo!

Great stuff Mickey!!!!!

I was not to be out done with my brilliant forecast of NC going to the Redskins!  <_<

318231[/snapback]

Predraft mass hysteria, the CDC should study this stuff. It all sounded so reasonable then.

I wish I was smart.

318250[/snapback]

What really hurts is that Mel Kiper accurately predicted that we would take TE Kevin Everett in the third in his predraft predictions. I was out thunk by Mel Kiper. Whoa, that'll leave a mark.

What really hurts is that Mel Kiper accurately predicted that we would take TE Kevin Everett in the third in his predraft predictions.  I was out thunk by Mel Kiper.  Whoa, that'll leave a mark.

318261[/snapback]

You DO realize that you are conversing with someone who calls himself "Tossy McSalad," right? :D

Certainly one of the top 10 screen names to ever hit TBD. <_<

What really hurts is that Mel Kiper accurately predicted that we would take TE Kevin Everett in the third in his predraft predictions.  I was out thunk by Mel Kiper.  Whoa, that'll leave a mark.

318261[/snapback]

<_<:D

Predraft mass hysteria, the CDC should study this stuff.

318241[/snapback]

Predraft mass hysteria is one thing, but don't forget Post Draft Stress Disorder. Seemed to have infected quite a few here over the weekend and will likely last several months. As opposed to Herpes Simplex 7 which runs fast but is difficult to catch

I think the quotes were funny, some people need to relax and stop being defensive. I love how all of us here are CERTAIN of what is gonna happen. Well yesterday i was screaming at the TV to trade up before JAx and take barnes. When we took Parrish in the 2nd (who i love) and then Everett next i realized I dont have a Fuggin clue what the hell TD is thinking. I DO like our picks, though they bewilder me somewhat (I can rationalize them too so please dont bother to EXPLAIN to me why YOU are the only person in the world who understands the picks). I guess 1-we have much more confidence in Anderson and Edwards than we thought 2-I read McNally called Peters a "phenom" and expects him to start at LT, this either happens or Teague may go to left and we start our rookie C 3-Draft experts are giving us bad grades becase: They were very wrong. We didnt pick the people any of the "experts" commanded us to take, they are of course always right, so even if we got the best value in our picks we deserve a poor grade for going against their bandwagon-jumping, mandarich-praising @sses.

I think the quotes were funny, some people need to relax and stop being defensive. I love how all of us here are CERTAIN of what is gonna happen. Well yesterday i was screaming at the TV to trade up before JAx and take barnes. When we took Parrish in the 2nd (who i love) and then Everett next i realized I dont have a Fuggin clue what the hell TD is thinking. I DO like our picks, though they bewilder me somewhat (I can rationalize them too so please dont bother to EXPLAIN to me why YOU are the only person in the world who understands the picks). I guess 1-we have much more confidence in Anderson and Edwards than we thought 2-I read McNally called Peters a "phenom" and expects him to start at LT, this either happens or Teague may go to left and we start our rookie C 3-Draft experts are giving us bad grades becase: They were very wrong. We didnt pick the people any of the "experts" commanded us to take, they are of course always right, so even if we got the best value in our picks we deserve a poor grade for going against their bandwagon-jumping, mandarich-praising @sses.

318323[/snapback]

You just never know. Even when you are right you are wrong. I looked at Peters and especially moving Bannan to the OL along with the FA's and concluded that we weren't going to get an OT and I was right. However, I then concluded that we were going to try and find a DT given the loss of Pat Williams. WRONG. I just didn't see us going for a TE after taking one last year and I sure as anything wasn't thinking of a WR with Evans, Moulds, Reed, Aiken and Smith on the roster.

Face it, we are on the outside looking in so all we can do is speculate pretty wildly which is half the fun. The other half being checking out how wrong we were with a few pats on the back here and there for those who managed a good guess here and there.

You just never know.  Even when you are right you are wrong.  I looked at Peters and especially moving Bannan to the OL along with the FA's and concluded that we weren't going to get an OT and I was right.  However, I then concluded that we were going to try and find a DT given the loss of Pat Williams.  WRONG.  I just didn't see us going for a TE after taking one last year and I sure as anything wasn't thinking of a WR with Evans, Moulds, Reed, Aiken and Smith on the roster. 

Face it, we are on the outside looking in so all we can do is speculate pretty wildly which is half the fun.  The other half being checking out how wrong we were with a few pats on the back here and there for those who managed a good guess here and there.

318373[/snapback]

The thing is, I don't think that TD had the intention of going in there and drafting Parrish and Everett either, and didn't decide on them until just before he handed the card in. He probably had 20 guys, at least one at half of the positions on the team that were a possible pick. If there was an OT left there that they liked he likely would have chose him over Parrish even though Parrish was available. A lot of things could have happened with a trade. He probably tried to move up a couple times but his offer wasn't accepted. He certainly didn't know which guys were going to be left before he took Everett and, again, he wasn't going in looking for a TE more than looking for a DT or a OT or a K or anything else. He, like everyone else, has his board and then looks at all the players left on it and decided which of them, at which position, that are available right now, are going to make us the best team. That decision turned out to be Parrish, but only because all of the other teams picks and offers made Parrish the top guy available.

I never really chimed in on the Henry situation, but I was pretty far off on one of my bold predictions...

I said White was a 4th rounder and that it wouldn't surprise me if someone went too early and took him in the 3rd...then he goes undrafted.

Oh well, I DID call Clarett going in the 3rd, so it all evens out! <_<

The thing is, I don't think that TD had the intention of going in there and drafting Parrish and Everett either, and didn't decide on them until just before he handed the card in. He probably had 20 guys, at least one at half of the positions on the team that were a possible pick. If there was an OT left there that they liked he likely would have chose him over Parrish even though Parrish was available. A lot of things could have happened with a trade. He probably tried to move up a couple times but his offer wasn't accepted. He certainly didn't know which guys were going to be left before he took Everett and, again, he wasn't going in looking for a TE more than looking for a DT or a OT or a K or anything else. He, like everyone else, has his board and then looks at all the players left on it and decided which of them, at which position, that are available right now, are going to make us the best team. That decision turned out to be Parrish, but only because all of the other teams picks and offers made Parrish the top guy available.

318422[/snapback]

I'm sure he had a zillion options mapped out. I don't think he went in thinking "Parrish or bust". I'm sure that somewhere in the mix they made determinations both on what our biggest needs were and who were the best athletes available. Balancing all of that, they took who they took. For me, I don't really have many complaints except for Parrish. I don't doubt he has plenty of potential, I just think there were some better players at positions of greater need. I worry that we are trying too hard to copy the Steelers and picked him to have a Randle El clone on the roster. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, its hard to be too upset about having a 4.37 guy in the fold.

I never really chimed in on the Henry situation, but I was pretty far off on one of my bold predictions...

I said White was a 4th rounder and that it wouldn't surprise me if someone went too early and took him in the 3rd...then he goes undrafted.

Oh well, I DID call Clarett going in the 3rd, so it all evens out!  <_<

318484[/snapback]

I hope he does well. I don't care for him myself but I never liked the idea of preventing a willing employee and a willing employer from entering in to a deal. When Clarett wanted to play, he should have been allowed to provided he was drafted or signed by an NFL team. Everyone needs to make a living. You don't have to be 19 to be a supermodel or an engineer, why do you have to be 19 to play pro football?