This seems normal, not scary at all

Thurmal34

On 2/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, snafu said:

Yes, people knew Biden is fading and still voted against Trump. That isn’t too difficult to see. 

The election in 2020 played out pretty close to how 2016 played out with the exception that Trump lost a significant number of swing voters in key contested states he won by slim margins in 2016.  A lot of analysts believe the handling of the pandemic was the cause but I think its simply because he failed to deliver on any of his populist promises and these voters defected to Biden who they ultimately decided to pin their hopes on after Trump basically failed to deliver for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The election in 2020 played out pretty close to how 2016 played out with the exception that Trump lost a significant number of swing voters in key contested states he won by slim margins in 2016.  A lot of analysts believe the handling of the pandemic was the cause but I think its simply because he failed to deliver on any of his populist promises and these voters defected to Biden who they ultimately decided to pin their hopes on after Trump basically failed to deliver for them.  

That’s a reasoned opinion but I’m one that believes it was all about the pandemic, what happened to the economy because of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s a reasoned opinion but I’m one that believes it was all about the pandemic, what happened to the economy because of it.

Yes, and taking it one step further it could be reasoned that the practices and polices enacted in response to the pandemic did more to harm the economy than the pandemic itself. 

The classic outlier referenced is Sweden which didn't lock down, took precautions to protect the most vulnerable, didn't experience high death rates, and saw minimal disruptions to their national economy. 

I'm not so sure that would have worked in the US because I think a lot of it had to do with demographics.  Sweden has a much more "relatively" healthy population than the US.  We have what might be characterized as a national health crisis with a high percentage of overweight and out-of-shape people with lots of other co-morbidities which makes for a target-rich environment for the fatal aspects of the infection. 

A lot of it is just common sense since if you are in good physical condition and have a strong immune system and haven't experienced the degenerative impacts of aging to any degree you'll experience less severe symptoms of almost any virus or bacterial infection.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Yes, and taking it one step further it could be reasoned that the practices and polices enacted in response to the pandemic did more to harm the economy than the pandemic itself. 

The classic outlier referenced is Sweden which didn't lock down, took precautions to protect the most vulnerable, didn't experience high death rates, and saw minimal disruptions to their national economy. 

I'm not so sure that would have worked in the US because I think a lot of it had to do with demographics.  Sweden has a much more "relatively" healthy population than the US.  We have what might be characterized as a national health crisis with a high percentage of overweight and out-of-shape people with lots of other co-morbidities which makes for a target-rich environment for the fatal aspects of the infection. 

People like to compare our response to other countries but I believe it’s way way simpler than that and I posted it yesterday. For the first time in every Americans life, they were told they could literally DIE just by going outside, or by visiting with family. That alone will get you unelected every time. It wasn’t (and still isn’t) true but that’s what they were told and they voted for change. I don’t blame voters. I blame those who convinced so many that this was the new normal. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

People like to compare our response to other countries but I believe it’s way way simpler than that and I posted it yesterday. For the first time in every Americans life, they were told they could literally DIE just by going outside, or by visiting with family. That alone will get you unelected every time. It wasn’t (and still isn’t) true but that’s what they were told and they voted for change. I don’t blame voters. I blame those who convinced so many that this was the new normal. 

You may have friends and family like my father-in-law.  He's one of those people convinced the virus is waiting outside his living room window just looking for a chance to get into the house to kill him.  Like it roams freely in the outdoor environment and acts with some sentient intent expressed by higher forms of life.  I can provide him with all sorts of science about how viruses live and spread along with specifics about COVID but he's convinced CNN is right and I am wrong.      

32 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You may have friends and family like my father-in-law.  He's one of those people convinced the virus is waiting outside his living room window just looking for a chance to get into the house to kill him.  Like it roams freely in the outdoor environment and acts with some sentient intent expressed by higher forms of life.  I can provide him with all sorts of science about how viruses live and spread along with specifics about COVID but he's convinced CNN is right and I am wrong.      

I'm going to assume that your father-in-law is an older individual and so he may be right to be concerned. I'm referring more to those that are younger, that have been convinced that they will DIE from this killer virus. I saw a young girl yesterday, wearing her mask while driving all alone in her car.  The deadly nature of this particular virus has been proven to be inaccurate.  In the beginning we clearly didn't know what has happening...but we do now and so do our public officials.  Shame on all of them for the fear they've spread. 

2 hours ago, 716er said:

Source for even just one reputable person claiming this?

And you believe they’re wearing triple masks in their car and not leaving their  houses because they think they’ll get the sniffles?  Let’s get real here! These people are legitimately scared to death.  It’s a shame. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

And you believe they’re wearing triple masks in their car and not leaving their  houses because they think they’ll get the sniffles?  Let’s get real here! These people are legitimately scared to death.  It’s a shame. 

Who is wearing a triple mask in their car while not leaving their house?

Perhaps you'll share that with the source of the reputable person who said going outside will kill you.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Don't be an ass.  You know exactly what I'm talking about. 

I would know exactly what you were talking about if you sourced your claim that people could literally die by just going outside.

Instead I'm getting MY SISTER IN LAW WEARS 3 MASKS IN THE CAR AND DOESNT LEAVE HOME

Just now, 716er said:

I would know exactly what you were talking about if you sourced your claim that people could literally die by just going outside.

Instead I'm getting MY SISTER IN LAW WEARS 3 MASKS IN THE CAR AND DOESNT LEAVE HOME

I did not claim that people could die. I said that people have bought into the lie that that's true, and therefore you'll see many young people wearing triple masks when going outside, or even when driving alone in a car.  You can keep trying to play word games, but... if it's not true then tell me why are people wearing multiple masks when driving alone in their car? Enlighten me.

why are people wearing multiple masks when driving alone in their car? Enlighten me.

Uber, Lyft, Grubhub, etc. drivers are required to wear a mask at work. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I said that people have bought into the lie that that's true

If people have bought into the lie that is true, you should be able to post one person telling that lie. It seems like you are unable to do so.

1 minute ago, 716er said:

If people have bought into the lie that is true, you should be able to post one person telling that lie. It seems like you are unable to do so.

Thanks for playing. This is a waste of my time.

Thanks for playing. This is a waste of my time.

So you're posting hyperbolic BS - glad that's cleared up.

I noticed you didn't comment on folks who work in cars who are required to wear masks while working. Is that too rational a take?

3 minutes ago, 716er said:

So you honestly do not know ONE person that has pretty much not left their home over the last 12 months because the powers that be have scared the ***** out of them?  

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you honestly do not know ONE person that has pretty much not left their home over the last 12 months because the powers that be have scared the ***** out of them?  

We have an entire public school system afraid to return to work!  But 716er believes there is nothing to see here.  This isn't scary.  There's nothing unusual going on.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

So you are not aware of ANY school systems that have been shut down?  

To say we have an entire public school system afraid to return to work! is hyperbole and does about as much to move the conversation along as talking about one's sister in law who doesn't leave the house but somehow drives around with 3 masks on.

1 minute ago, 716er said:

To say we have an entire public school system afraid to return to work! is hyperbole and does about as much to move the conversation along as talking about one's sister in law who doesn't leave the house but somehow drives around with 3 masks on.

The second largest school district in the nation is shut down.  

Just now, 716er said:

Indeed. They're supposed to open back up on April 12th, right?

Are they not, if fact, currently shut down since December?  Now before you type your answer you only need 5 keys.  Any more than that will be dismissed. 

N O Y E S 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Are they not, if fact, currently shut down since December?  Now before you type your answer you only need 5 keys.  Any more than that will be dismissed. 

N O Y E S 

if fact? 

In fact, they have been remote since December 10th. 

Edited by 716er

35 minutes ago, 716er said:

Geez.  And why were they closed?  Was it because the curriculum was deemed to be too hard?  No. It was because they'd been convinced by SOMEONE that it was too dangerous to go to work.   And, yes, my sister-in-law has been shut in the house since last March and only goes out in an emergency wearing multiple masks.

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It was because they'd been convinced by SOMEONE that it was too dangerous to go to work. 

Is this SOMEONE

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

they were told they could literally DIE just by going outside

the same person who told us this?

Still waiting on that. Until then, it's worthless having a discussion with someone so unhinged and disconnected from reality. 

18 minutes ago, 716er said:

Is this SOMEONE

the same person who told us this?

Still waiting on that. Until then, it's worthless having a discussion with someone so unhinged and disconnected from reality. 

You're hilarious.  So let me ask you again....you don't believe ordinary, young, healthy people are acutely afraid of dying from Covid 19?  Seriously....you don't?  And, where did that fear come from?  Did they have to step over dead bodies in the street?