Henry won't hold out

We are talking about a kid who would have had to file for Bankruptcy 2 years ago without an extension. Now that he knows what the rest of the league thinks of him, he can't afford to hold out.

I don't blame his stance, but bottom line is that Travis is a good kid who gives 100%. We have an injury prone stud in McGahee, ala Fred Taylor. If Travis comes to camp like a good soldier, there is a 50/50 chance he is the starter by midseason. If he sits, he gets $0.00 and will be picked up for the vet minimum next year.

I don't blame us for hanging on to him. "Duke" Preston is the 4th round talent. I think I'll keep my wrecking-ball backup, because if he walks for nothing next year, we lost out on another Preston.

We are talking about a kid who would have had to file for Bankruptcy 2 years ago without an extension. Now that he knows what the rest of the league thinks of him, he can't afford to hold out.

I don't blame his stance, but bottom line is that Travis is a good kid who gives 100%. We have an injury prone stud in McGahee, ala Fred Taylor. If Travis comes to camp like a good soldier, there is a 50/50 chance he is the starter by midseason. If he sits, he gets $0.00 and will be picked up for the vet minimum next year.

I don't blame us for hanging on to him. "Duke" Preston is the 4th round talent. I think I'll keep my wrecking-ball backup, because if he walks for nothing next year, we lost out on another Preston.

317465[/snapback]

Of course he doesnt hold out...he cant....1.2 million or nothing when you have no money?????? hmmmmm---tough decision.

I think it's pretty much agreed that he can't hold out. What he can do is make things miserable for the team. However, if he has ANY smarts at all (which is truly up for debate) he will sit back, relax, jump in when his name is called and keep quiet. That's the only way he gets anything close to what he feels he'll be worth next offseason, and a starting job.

That said, I'm still hoping he finds his way onto the roster of a team whose RB blows out his knee in camp, preferably for a conditional '06 pick.

I'm in a way relieved that Henry is still on the roster assuming he plays and gives his all. It CAN'T hurt to have two #1 tailbacks. Willis needs a breather, and gets banged up here and there. I like the depth and fresh legs it provides. I would not have been happy with a 3rd rounder, not worth it in my opinion. I'd rather have the depth at tailback for another year.

317465[/snapback]

He won't be signing for the veteran minimum if he sits all year, because the Bills will still have him under contract. A player must be present and with his team for at least 6 games for him to get credit for a year of service time. Remember Joey Galloway in Seattle a few years ago? He had to show up for the last 6 games (and collect a paycheck!), or it wouldn't've counted as a year of service, and his contract wouldn't've gotten any closer to expiration. I believe the Seahawks traded him anyway, but the point is the same.

Travis owes the Bills a year unless they trade or release him. And a "year" has to be at least 6 games.

He won't be signing for the veteran minimum if he sits all year, because the Bills will still have him under contract.  A player must be present and with his team for at least 6 games for him to get credit for a year of service time.  Remember Joey Galloway in Seattle a few years ago?  He had to show up for the last 6 games (and collect a paycheck!), or it wouldn't've counted as a year of service, and his contract wouldn't've gotten any closer to expiration.  I believe the Seahawks traded him anyway, but the point is the same.

Travis owes the Bills a year unless they trade or release him.  And a "year" has to be at least 6 games.

317538[/snapback]

Good point if correct.

I think he'll be here the whole time if we don't deal him. If his biggest fault is missin blitz pickup...Losman will make him look better than Bledsoe.

317465[/snapback]

So McGahee gets hurt once by taking a devestation hit to the knee and he's labeled injury prone? What other injuries has he had? None that I can think of.

For You Travis lovers...

#1. He hates this team.

#2. Players aren't too thrilled with him anymore.

#3. He packed all his stuff and moved out of Buffalo.

He's not coming back.

So McGahee gets hurt once by taking a devestation hit to the knee and he's labeled injury prone? What other injuries has he had? None that I can think of.

For You Travis lovers...

#1. He hates this team.

He's not coming back.

317552[/snapback]

Let him collect welfare then!

For You Travis lovers...

#1. He hates this team.

He's not coming back.

317552[/snapback]

No, he really isn't. Unlike others, I strongly feel that the longer he stays, the more his value decreases.

We were said to have been offered a late 4th in a weak draft for TH. If this is to be believed, he will be worth a lower pick in a stronger draft. It just makes sense.

I think that TD would rather cut him when the time comes than give him away for a 6th or 7th round pick, which might very well be his market value. If this is the case, he will probably wait until teams have their rosters pretty well set.

In any event, I hope I am wrong. Maybe a team will need a back due to injuries, etc. and come up with a 4th or so in 06, but I am certainly not holding my breath.

Don't underestimate Henry's stupidity. His agent isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. It's all irrelevant now anyway. Whether he actually is on the sideline or not I don't think he'll be a factor. Depending on what the Bills do in the next offseason they still could get a compensatory pick for Henry in the '07 draft.

His situation is similar to Rodney Thomas w/ the Oilers/Titans. Rushed for 1,000 yards in '95, then they drafted Eddie George the next spring. After that it was, 'Rodney who?'

I think it's time to realize that w/ his contract as it is, being relegated to 3rd string last year, and that he's at his fourth year in a position where the average career lasts three years b/c of the hits RBs take, Henry just isn't worth that much on the market. TD can try to hold onto him until someone blows out their knee in camp and get a 4th or 5th, but it's probably best for all parties to release him.

His situation is similar to Rodney Thomas w/ the Oilers/Titans. Rushed for 1,000 yards in '95, then they drafted Eddie George the next spring. After that it was, 'Rodney who?'

I think it's time to realize that w/ his contract as it is, being relegated to 3rd string last year, and that he's at his fourth year in a position where the average career lasts three years b/c of the hits RBs take, Henry just isn't worth that much on the market. TD can try to hold onto him until someone blows out their knee in camp and get a 4th or 5th, but it's probably best for all parties to release him.

317706[/snapback]

agreed. no way, no how, will travis henry be an asset to the bills next year. if he stays, he'll be a resentful, angry cancer, one whose roster spot would be better filled by someone who plays well on special teams or who serves well as a backup linebacker. remember - him being on the roster means that someone else won't be.

No, he really isn't. Unlike others, I strongly feel that the longer he stays, the more his value decreases.

We were said to have been offered a late 4th in a weak draft for TH. If this is to be believed, he will be worth a lower pick in a stronger draft. It just makes sense.

I think that TD would rather cut him when the time comes than give him away for a 6th or 7th round pick, which might very well be his market value. If this is the case, he will probably wait until teams have their rosters pretty well set.

In any event, I hope I am wrong. Maybe a team will need a back due to injuries, etc. and come up with a 4th or so in 06, but I am certainly not holding my breath.

317620[/snapback]

I'm thinking TD gets a conditional 3rd or 4th that will turn into a 2nd if Henry breaks a certain marker.